Prosecutors again began establishing Tuesday that an infant boy who died after internal bleeding and blunt force injuries was in fine health before his mother left him in the care of her then-boyfriend.

Jessica Hudson, the 2 1/2-month old infant’s mother, testified again Tuesday during the retrial of D’Khari Lyons, who is charged with first-degree murder and abuse of a child.

Lyons is accused of causing the injuries that led to the November 2018 death of Hudson’s son, Michael Calvert Jr.

A September jury trial ended in a mistrial after jurors could not come to unanimous decisions on the charges.

Hudson said she met Lyons through work while she was pregnant with Michael, and the two became closer after she returned from maternity leave. She said he’d come over to her apartment most nights after he got off work, usually around 1 or 2 a.m.

Hudson said in the days leading to the Nov. 8 incident in which she reported Michael having trouble breathing, the infant’s father and that man’s mother cared for him the previous weekend. She said Michael Calvert Sr. told her the baby cried and wanted to be held a lot, and she noticed mucus buildup around his eyes.

She took him to the doctor a couple of days later on Nov. 7 to check on the issue, and Michael was diagnosed with pink eye. Hudson said the doctor did not note any other ongoing or potential problems.

Hudson said though her son was born about six weeks early, he did not have serious health issues. She said she had dealt with this before as her other two daughters were born early as well.

That night, Hudson said she got her girls ready for bed and fed and bathed Michael. She didn’t notice anything “weird” about his behavior or on his body, she said.

Hudson said Lyons came over to hang out that night around 1:30 or 2 a.m. She said she stayed with Michael in her bed to hold and feed him, while Lyons played video games in the living room.

After Michael fell asleep around 5:30 a.m., Hudson said she and Lyons smoked marijuana outside before he resumed playing video games and she took a nap. Hudson said she got up again around 7:15 a.m. to get her girls ready for school.

Before she left to take her children to the bus stop and school, Hudson said she gave Lyons, who was laying in bed, her son and a filled bottle. She said she told Lyons twice she’d be back before he responded he’d heard her.

Hudson said she was gone for about 15 minutes, and when she returned to the apartment, she saw Lyons standing over Michael and looking at the baby on the bed. Hudson said Lyons told her he fed him too much because he had made choking sounds and thrown up.

Hudson said Michael’s eyes were closed and he was making gurgling sounds so she took off his clothes to wake him up, which is when she said she noticed bruising on his chest.

She then called 911 and noticed more bruising on Michael’s face as she monitored his breathing.

Emergency responders took Michael to Ascension Via Christi Hospital, where doctors told Hudson that her son had suffered three seizures, a skull fracture and internal bleeding.

Michael was flown to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, where he later died on Nov. 11, 2018.

The trial was scheduled to continue Tuesday afternoon.