With potential flooding throughout the summer, the city of Manhattan is continuing its work to better protect areas by raising the levee.

The legislative session starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.

The commission will consider signing a partnership agreement with the U.S. Corps of Engineers for the upcoming levee reconstruction project.

The agreement gives a final outline for the city’s share of the $30.2 million project, which will raise the city’s levee along the Big Blue River. The height increase would range from 1.5 feet to 3.3 feet.

The city is expected to pay for 35% of the project with the Corps paying for the other 65%. Manhattan would pay $10.5 million in costs strictly associated with that agreement, as well as an additional $2.9 million in optional projects that city administrators are recommending.

Financing for the project could come from sales tax, stormwater fees or the bond and interest fund via an increase in property taxes. The city commission approved a November ballot question asking voters to approve a three-tenths of a percentage increase in the sales tax to support projects like the levee raising.

With a completed design in June, the project contract would be awarded in January 2021, with construction starting that February and going through January 2023.

The city will also hear the results of a March survey sent out to city residents. The survey results reflect public feedback on various city projects and issues, such as the sales tax.

City administrators are also asking the commission to approve a $189,000 engineering agreement with SMH Consultants to extend Kirkwood Drive at Eisenhower Middle School. The school will see a new recreation center and building addition in the next couple of years, and the city’s public works department is looking to ease some of the traffic expected from the expansions.

The commission will also hold a public hearing on a proposed 21-stall municipal parking lot for Woodrow Wilson Elementary School. School district officials are looking for increased parking to accommodate teachers and faculty, but some neighborhood residents have spoken out against the proposal.

A Manhattan Urban Area Planning Board review saw a 3-to-3 vote on the matter, which was a failure to recommend the request.