Curbs in the middle of streets
Posted: 15 December 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

No, I am not talking about the traffic circles or “roundabouts”.  I am talking about the propensity of Manhattan engineers to put little curbed islands in the middle of streets, parking lots, entrances to strip mall areas, and wherever they want. Now, these are hazards…especially during snowstorms.  Moreover, they seem to have no function.  They aren’t pretty, they hold no trees…they are just there to be run over.  Why, other than to annoy people would you put those things in the middle of four lane streets?
And while we are on the subject(the subject being idiotic, hare-brained, chuckle-headed ideas), let me go on record as proposing we return to VHS tapes.  I bought a new DVD thingy the other day, took it home and it wouldn’t play.  I took it back and the young lady said “Look, there is a big thumbprint on it.”  I said “Of course there is a thumbprint on it, I had to pry the damned thing from its container.” Anyway, she wouldn’t take it back. (In all fairness to her, I brought it home and cleaned it and it played just fine).  However, the point is, who wants something that temperamental?  Frankly, I see no difference in quality, other than the DVD actors tend to whisper.  I have that blue disc thingy on my computer.  I see no difference. I have six thousand or so VHS tapes and rarely have any problem with them.  I guess I will be doomed to watching only old movies.  From what I have seen lately, I won’t be missing anything.

Posted: 15 December 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Details of the Bluemont median can be viewed at this link - http://ourmanhattan.org/images/Work_Session_Bluemont_Corrido.pdf  I agree with the DVD, VHS thing. I have had DVD that have just flat worn out - used in classroom presentation, but VHS tapes are still going strong.  Have used VHS and still use it for some presentations.  They have lasted 14 years so far with reapeated use.  Some of the DVD upgrades have died after only 4 years of use.

Posted: 15 December 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
I see the details, but I still don’t see the point.  I didn’t see any justification for that island. One that really annoys me is on Kimball around Ned’s avenue.  No point whatsoever in that being there.  The one by Wal Mart is bizarre, but, then again, so is that entire road.
I am glad that someone else shares my views regarding the DVDs.  Most of my friends simply roll their eyes and look at me as if I was a Luddite.  The lady, Debbie, who used to manage the video store at Dillons…back when there were video stores rather than pop machines…told me once that she had many more damaged DVDs returned than VHS tapes.

Posted: 15 December 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Speaking of traffic issues…  Talking on a cell phone, driving 15 mph in a 45 mph zone, traffic backed up almost a block behind her, then she drives right through a red light… should be outlawed!!!!  Oh, it is!!!!  I still cannot believe the number of folks I see on cell phones when driving, even though we have the ordinance that makes it illegal.  Of course, when the City Commission pretty well tells RCPD not to enforce fireworks ordinances, etc., we probably are seeing some fairly selective enforcement.

Posted: 15 December 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

It’s not going to snow any more, so traffic islands won’t be a problem in a snow storm.  Every modern thing is designed to wear out/break in a short time span so consumers will have to purchase replacements.  I’ve learned this lesson recently, having had to replace both a dishwasher and clothes washer that were both less than 5 years old.

Posted: 15 December 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy, it’s difficult to accept the “designed failure” is almost everything we buy.  We had a Maytag washer that took care of our family… when we had small children at home… for something like 20 years.  I could repalce the timer, etc…. it just kept on going.  Since that washer, we’ve probably had three or four more and we don’t even have kids at home anymore.  The ice maker went kaput on our 2 year old refrigerator.  OTOH, an upright freezer we bought in 1975 finally gave up the ghost a year ago. 
Remember the old dial phones, given to you by the phone company?  They lasted forever!!  Today, if the fragile phone last over a year, it becomes obsolete and needs replaced.  Televisons don’t last.  It’s aggravating!!!
Automobiles, however, are much better.  Yep, used to be able to change plugs, points, and condensor and do a complete tune up in the driveway.  Can’t even work on one today, due to the computerized electronics.  But, I run my Silverados up to about 150,000 miles and rarely have issues.  I still think appliances are the worst!!!!

Posted: 15 December 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

The City Commission does not control RCPD,  that is the purview (I fixed the error - spell check is just not the answer, thanks Michael)  of the Law Board (though a couple of the City Commission are also on the Law Board).  The traffic median was discussed earlier in the year.  The idea behind it is to stop left turns.  Data was presented that pointed to safety issues, the accidents in those two blocks were caused by turns.  The larger island at one end was again justified by pedestrian safety.  Think Fake Paddy’s day the intoxicated need a place to collect.

Posted: 15 December 2012 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I am sure that an island will deter a drunken college student…Get real.  These islands, as you refer to them, are nothing but more nonsense from our city engineers.

Posted: 15 December 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

purview…that is the correct word.

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

By the way Wynn.
Since only you and one other person in the world agrees with me about VHS, I will heretofore agree with all your policies as compensation for you speaking the truth about the evil DVDs….:-)

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.