< 1 2
2 of 2
I Wonder
Posted: 16 December 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10
Gray Grantham - 16 December 2012 12:51 AM

Now we all have probably heard that the Mercury had hacking issues that brought about the changes that seem to have had quite a negative effect on membership and content.

It really doesn’t mean anything to users “hacker attack”, but when you are operating an Online Forum is is a daily fact of life.

...Possibly too much information, but the bottom line is once you have had to deal with maintaining a web site and rebuilding/restoring it after a few hacker attacks, you sit down and think about it.  Why exactly am I doing this?  Its not for money because it doesn’t pay.  Its because I enjoy it, or at least I used too, but it won’t take a great deal of time before hackers will take the enjoyment out of it and then you will disappoint your members as well by changing or dropping the site.

Gray, I’ve run my own blog for years, and since moving to Wordpress have to deal daily with security issues and hackers. I’ve been a moderator of several forums, including the old Merc forums back in the Ed Skeel days, for about 3 months or so. I have some of the experience you’re talking about, and I honestly don’t buy that the Merc is exempt from criticism because they’ve had to deal with hackers. The truth is, if they were having serious problems, and they obviously were, they needed to call in professionals. Last we knew, someone who I don’t think has tech or computer training was checking into the matter, but nothing was ever fixed.

And of course, hackers on the old forum doesn’t mean the new forums are more secure. It doesn’t mean this new forum should require personal contact info; if anything, it should be an indication that our info should not be required, just for safety reasons. If the Merc is still refusing to get professional help, our information is at risk. My personal experience is that this risk has been downplayed by the Merc.

Yes, it is a big responsibility for the Merc. That doesn’t mean we have no right to criticize what we feel are problems, though.

Posted: 16 December 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2012-10-28

hackers on the old forum doesn’t mean the new forums are more secure. It doesn’t mean this new forum should require personal contact info; if anything, it should be an indication that our info should not be required, just for safety reasons. If the Merc is still refusing to get professional help, our information is at risk. My personal experience is that this risk has been downplayed by the Merc.

Just what personal information are we talking about here?  Are we seriously afraid of publicly disclosing our names?  Is that what I’m hearing?

Am I missing something?

Posted: 17 December 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

It might be more of a concern to online subscribers who have provided the Mercury with credit card numbers.  When the Mercury first switched to the new set-up, the e-mail addresses of all of the e-edition subscribers were accessible, which I doubt was intentional.

Posted: 17 December 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

As Kathy said.

Also, for forum members, real phone numbers associated with real names, I think an optional address as well if I recall correctly, all connected to a password.

Posted: 17 December 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I am still wondering why the Mercury is remaining silent in the face of all this criticism.
By the way, Stacia, thanks for the advice on the volume thing.  I’ll check into it.  Where do I find this device?

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.