I Wonder
Posted: 11 December 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

I Wonder:
1.  Why the PM link does not work
2.  Why the Profile link does not work
3.  Why there is no place to view all the registered users to see who is attempting to communicate
4.  Why this forum was not tested to ensure all links were working or remove them if not to be used
5.  Why people are not posting (not counting the real name issue)

Are we citizens that content with Manhattan and the way things are that there is nothing to discuss or have we as a community reached the point that it does not matter what we think or say because “they” will do as they wish anyway?

Someone start complaining. . . . oh wait I already did.

Posted: 11 December 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Agree with item 1-4.  I hope time will help with item five.

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

The story was that the old Mercury site had been compromised, so they switched to the new format before they were completely ready to do so.  The forum is probably not top of the list of things to do at the Mercury.  Did people want a “real names” forum, or did they want to be anonymous on a moderated forum that kicked out posters who were problems?  I thought of the old forum as conversation around the water cooler, which is far different than the Mercury’s view that forum postings are equivalent to a letter to the editor and need to have names attached.

Posted: 12 December 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I asked on the old forum about all the broken links and errors, but it was ignored and then the old forum was deleted, anyway. It’s been months, and I don’t think it’s going to get fixed.

My suspicion is that the Merc hoped using real names would mean they wouldn’t have to pay a moderator to monitor the board, and they probably don’t want to pay to have technical help, either.

As for using real names, here’s a little anecdote for ya: I just came from a New York Post article about the Trayvon Martin case; the Post requires Facebook to leave comments, and people with their full names were spouting some of the most racist, idiotic stuff ever—and check out the very first commenter on that post. It’s someone from Manhattan, a lady who posts constantly on the NY Post about killing non-whites, Democrats, gay people, etc.

But hey, as long as someone from Manhattan like her posts with her real name, then it’s all good, right? It’s just like a letter to the editor, right?

Good luck, guys. You are all going to need it if loons like her eventually find this place. No moderation plus real names equals a potentially serious situation.

Posted: 12 December 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

1.  The Mercury was disappointed that the old forum saw significant dialogue… and they couldn’t charge for it.  In their infinite wisdom, they assumed having people post under their real names would kill the discussion.  It has almost worked!
2.  Anyone who reads The Mercury print edition understands they do not employ proof readers or investigative journalists.  Why would their internet forum be moderated and maintained if they can’t even get correct photos with wedding announcements, etc.
3.  I do believe many have “given up” on local government.  We suffered through a couple commissions who were puppets for City Hall and Dial Realty.  Those commissioners spent… handed out millions of tax dollars… and the taxpayer will pay the penalty for years to come.  When the pendelum swung, it did not swing to fiscal conservatives.  It swung to Tea Party, social conservatives.  This current commission, instead of doing the bidding of City Hall, drools over being the lap dog of the Chamber of Commerce.  They will still spend money, as long as it is not for “social” issues that would aggravate their Tea Party constituency.  They quickly shut down the poorly written LBGT Ordinace and the Rental Inspection Program. 
4.  The November election cycle is over.  The Tea Party is licking their wounds, on the outcome of the Presidential election, and slapping themselves on the back as Kansas continues its march to become a theocracy.  They bow, on Sunday mornings, to the Altar of Brownback… looking for the next means of enhancing corporate profits and cutting social services.  There’s really nothing local to discuss, right now.  The “fiscal cliff” is out of the control of anyone here.  Manhattanites cannot do anything about terrorist cells in the Mid-East, nukes in Iran, or long range missles in North Korea.  The discussion is understandably light.

We remain a dynamic community.  Growth continues.  Traffic issues escalate.  Crime becomes more prevalent.  But, the main success of 2012 was to see the Chamber got their tax referendum passed… with the assistance of the Manhattan City Commissioners.  All is well…......

Posted: 12 December 2012 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I really don’t think they went to all this trouble just to shut the forum down. This rigamarole of setting up new forum software, calling people to confirm their names, etc. is a lot more work than just closing down the old Kickapps boards and never opening up new ones.

Posted: 12 December 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

Met with my CPU geek @Manhattan Computers and we are going a different direction. He is from out west and actually wants to incorporate the whole state on the website. Manhattan will be the test city. Each city can log-in to chat about local issues.

Pretty Exciting—

Problem now is the name—
Ideas? This will incorporate all of kansas in one site.

yourkscommunity.com
http://mykansastown.com/
http://lovemyks.com/
http://lovemykansas.com/
http://ksmatters.com/

Posted: 12 December 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia- Thank You for having me throw up in my mouth. I hope she did not graduate from ksu.

Posted: 12 December 2012 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

She did, Josh, she did.

I like ksmatters.org the best, of all the URLs. Will there be specific Manhattan KS forums?

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Each city will have its own specific forum. I like the KS idea because then folks who are from back home can tune into local issues.

Now—We wont be doign this without shooting for a profit.

We will be selling advertising space for cheap. $20 a month or $50 a month get you scrolly bars, or images.

However by saying that it wont be intrusive or effect the blog. I hate when videos pop up in the middle of the screen and you have to click to close. The idea is that we can almost make it a group-on advertising option for Kansas once enough foot traffic hit the sites. Any advertising will be free until we get a lot of traffic on it.

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

and no annoying emails when people post… You have to check it on your own.

Or do some of you like that new feature?

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Josh,
I like that feature.  It saves me from running back and forth, and, with this forum, it’s not like my e-mail was inundated…hahaha.  I would put the feature in with the option to turn it off.

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 13 December 2012 10:41 AM

Josh,
I like that feature.  It saves me from running back and forth, and, with this forum, it’s not like my e-mail was inundated…hahaha.  I would put the feature in with the option to turn it off.

+1   Many of the other forums I frequent have this feature.  If I don’t particularly care to hear about every post to a specific discussion, I can turn off the e-mail notification when I post.  Otherwise, it’s nice to know when there is activity in a thread you have interest in.  And, as Michael stated, this board has so little traffic it’s nice to get an e-mail so you don’t waste time checking in and seeing your own post was the last… three days ago.

Posted: 13 December 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Now, if Stacia will just weigh in on this, Josh, you will have a majority response…a mandate, if you will to put in that feature.

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

It’s entirely up to you, Josh, whatever you’re willing to do.

You can turn off email notifications on this board by unclicking the “Notify me via email” box below the Fast Reply.

Posted: 16 December 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

Hey before you abuse, criticize and accuse, Walk A Mile, In My shoes…..

I have over the past 10 years managed a handful of online discussion boards.  Would I run a board the way this one is run?  NO.  Would I criticize Ned for running it the way he wants to?  No.

Putting up a discussion board/forum is a relatively simple task.  Register a domain name, hopefully a domain name that will have some degree of instant recognition and popularity.  Register with a hosting service such as http://www.phpwebhosting.com  download a forum application from one of the internet depositories like http://www.hotscriptscom  probably one of the most widely used and most secure forum boards is https://www.phpbb.com/.

It is a free application to download requires a basic skill set to install PHP/MySQL scripts to the web hosts servers (I think i learned how to do this stuff in about an hour) 

You can literally have a fully functional and very professional discussion board up and running in an hour.  (May take up to 24 hours for the DNS to update.)

That really is the easy part.

Now we all have probably heard that the Mercury had hacking issues that brought about the changes that seem to have had quite a negative effect on membership and content.

It really doesn’t mean anything to users “hacker attack”, but when you are operating an Online Forum is is a daily fact of life.

Most people are familiar with Virus and Spyware scanners.  Just as there are applications that are designed to scan your computer for snippets of malicious code, Hackers employ similar programs to ping virtually every IP address for code vulnerabilities. 

To what end?  Hackers are all pretty much looking to turn your computer into a bot net computer that will cause your computer to pop up browser windows and go to programmed sites so that the hacker gets a referrals that they get paid for.  In other words they are trying to make your computer earn them money.

Possibly too much information, but the bottom line is once you have had to deal with maintaining a web site and rebuilding/restoring it after a few hacker attacks, you sit down and think about it.  Why exactly am I doing this?  Its not for money because it doesn’t pay.  Its because I enjoy it, or at least I used too, but it won’t take a great deal of time before hackers will take the enjoyment out of it and then you will disappoint your members as well by changing or dropping the site.

My advice to any and all is to enjoy any online discussion boards while they are up, they won’t always be, and when they go dark go find another one.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.