No streaming of City Commission Meeting!!???!!!
Posted: 04 December 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, we who only have the internet available for watching our elected officials in action are disappointed tonight.  The City’s site is not carrying the Commission Meeting.  Hopefully, this is not by design and the issue will be corrected before the next meeting.

Posted: 05 December 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry:  That was not by design.  I look forward to your comments after each meeting and this puts a glitch into things.  I will check with IT to learn more about the issue. 

We had a couple of items of discussion, two comments on consent items – NBAF and Senior Center, and a quick vote on the roundabout art item. 

Professor Gary Conrad spoke about the commission not voting to support NBAF. 

We also discussed the Senior Center lease.  It was approved and provides dedicated parking from 8 to 5 PM on week days for the Senior center for the entire lot except 10 stalls. 

During commissioner comments Jim Sherow stated that he would not be running for reelection.  We also discussed the concept of a vote on the Fire Works Ban.  A citizen’s vote would however only be advisory in nature and not binding – that is the legal end of it.  So if we put in on the ballot the commission would still end up having to vote to implement.  Your topic of the Marlin’s paying for use of the city pool was also discussed during the commissioner comments.  Bottom line is that the Fire Works situation and the Pool policies are still not resolved as those have not yet been placed on the legislative agenda.

The Round About sculpture or art work RFP was voted on and it passed 4-0.  The committee will get a 90 day extension on the RFP.  Nothing was selected.  The project might get as much as 20K from the city.  But the 20K is a ceiling.  The rest of the project would be private funded.  The 20K or less has not been voted upon yet.  So a future legislative session will be needed to finally solve the pedestal and sculpture issue. 

Posted: 05 December 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks, Wynn!  I see the meeting has been posted on the site and can be replayed.  I just enjoy watching it unfold.  (Amazing what some of us can use for entertainment!!!)

Does not surprise me about Jim.  Jim does not appear to have “enjoyed” this past year or so.  He has spent a signficiant amount of time and energy, giving back to this community.  We were blessed to have him… and others who serve us as elected officials… on the governing board of this community.

I see a Tea Party type conservative has already announced for April.  Undoubtedly, there will be additional announcements from both the conservative faction and the more liberal faction.  When the pendelum swung from left to right on the Commission, it swung hard.  However, I believe it has already become much more moderate than was first displayed after April 2011.  Commissioner Matta is probably the commissioner who is furthest to the right and he will ascend to the Mayor position in April.  If hard conservatives are elected to replace those spots up for election, it could be a long couple of years for social services, City personnel, etc.  I watched a politician on televison last night suggest “gridlock is good”.  His take was that the Washington obstructionists were doing the Country a favor by not allowing one party or the other to have “their way”.  That obstructionism… that partisan politics over patriotism is costing us dearly.  I hope we can maintian some semblence of moderation in Manhattan politics rather than be “blessed with” a hard right or a hard left commission.

Posted: 08 December 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-10-11
Wynn Butler - 05 December 2012 01:09 PM

I will check with IT to learn more about the issue. 

Wynn - when you speak to the problem solvers in IT - could you check and see if the quality of the video stream could be improved?  For those of us who watch only online, the image is very grainy when expanded to a reasonable size!

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Wilco.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.