Can someone explain this to me?
Posted: 29 November 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

When I play DVDs, I have trouble hearing.  It sounds like everyone is mumbling.  Then when I put a VHS tape into the same machine, the loudness knocks me off the chair and I have to reduce the volume by about half.  Anyone else have this problem?

Posted: 30 November 2012 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Sorry, Michael.  You’ll need some of the “youngsters” to answer this.  Shoot, we don’t even own a VCR or a DVR.  The kids did equip us with a DVD player, but it’s used more by the grandkids than us.  We’re entirely too old for all this modern electronic technology.  What ever happend to “ring down” phones and party lines… and am radios with a piece of baling wire for an antenna????

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
You’re a big help.  One of my friends suggested that the DVD part of my machine was worn out, but that is not likely since I rarely play DVDs.  I have over 6,000 VHS tapes that I like much better.  A few years ago, I bought several new VCRs and put them in the closet, anticipating that this DVD fad might catch on.  Right now I am using a JVC machine that plays both.  The quality is excellent on the VHS tapes, but, as I said, there is a volume problem with the DVDs.  Now that Stacia is back (Welcome back Stacia…and I never called you a coward), she can help me.

Posted: 16 December 2012 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2012-10-28

When I play DVDs, I have trouble hearing.  It sounds like everyone is mumbling.

You didn’t say if increasing the volume while playing the DVD clears up the mumbling…

I don’t know what causes your particular issue but I have long has “issues” with the volume of my TV.  The primary amplifier for the Television simply plays through whatever sound is being sent to it by the TV or DVD.  The result is some TV programs are too quiet, some are too loud and almost all commercials are insanely loud.  The DVD sound varies from too quiet to hear to loud enough to give you headaches.

I searched Google for an answer to this ridiculous shortcoming in technology a few years ago and came up with a Constant Volume Amplifier.  The one that I am currently using is Audiovox Terk VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller currently on amazon.com for about $21.

All of your media components hook up to this thing via RCA jacks and you can set the volume on your components at mid range, then set your Volume Controller at whatever level you are comfortable with and the volume level will not change.

This has solved for me the issue with my DVDs being too quiets in some scenes and too loud in others.

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Thanks Gray.  I’ll give that a try.  By the way, I can certainly hear the commercials on DVD…it’s some of the movies I have trouble hearing.

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

I have noticed the sound on my TV does the same thing as yours, Michael. But if I use headphones plugged into a little portable amplifier (with multiple headphone jacks) called the Boostaroo, it both amplifies and evens out the music-voice imbalance.

So far, I have only once run into this same imbalance in a movie theater, briefly during Argo this year. Otherwise, it only happens to me with DVDs and about half the TV shows I watch.

Posted: 18 December 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

You’re probably not using a surround sound system, those are trying to channel audio to a front center speaker for dialogue. Otherwise perhaps you have the audio settings set incorrectly for your setup in the dvd player.

Posted: 18 December 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Deb,
I don’t have a volume setting on the DVD player.  The only volume control I have is on the television set. There are a million buttons on the remote, but none of them say “volume”.  :-(

Posted: 20 December 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I’m having trouble keeping track of which threads we were talking about the DVD on, so I’ll just respond here. The Boostaroo was bought at a shack, if you get my drift. But it is only for systems with external speakers that will plug into the Boostaroo, or headphones. You’d probably need a different kind of audio booster.

You might want to check and make sure your TV is set to 5.1 stereo. If it can’t do 5.1 stereo, I’ve heard putting the TV just on regular “stereo” then going out to options in the DVD player and selecting “PMC stereo” will work.

‹‹ NED!!!!!      I Wonder ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.