Fire Works Ballot Initiative
Posted: 28 November 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

One thing that was not mentioned during the Tuesday City Commission work session on fire works was the possibility of a ballot initiative in April.  A simple vote on a city wide fireworks ban, expect for licensed professional displays may be a possibility.  This would let the citizens decide and put the item to rest for ten years or so.  Any thoughts on the idea of a ballot initiative?

Posted: 29 November 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

It really seems as if this Commission is so afraid of stepping on political toes it won’t make a decision.  The Commission was elected to represent the interests of the citizens.  That representation includes looking out for the safety and welfare of that constituency.  When we were a small town and “fireworks” consisted of a few “Lady Fingers”, sparklers, snakes, and 5-shot Roman Candles neighborhoods could enjoy personal displays.  Today, our community has grown into a much larger community.  Fireworks have developed, technically, to a much more dangerous level.  And, the response to neighbor concerns, in a “me” society adds to the danger to citizens and their homes.

This commission needs to “grow some”.  I know we have the Tea Party mantra that suggests there is too much ‘gubmint’ intrusion into the free enterprise system.  If the commission were to accept the responsibilty for which elected and ban fireworks, you would have a few who prey off selling dangerous merchanidse to irresponsible people cry foul. 

Pretty soon, this commission will want ballot referendums on when to allow City employees to use the restroom.  I’m sort of surprised you haven’t already told the City Street Department to remove all stop signs at intersections.  Sheesh!  You mean the government has to tell people to stop??  Drivers should accept the responsibility of stopping and the consequences of not doing so.  That is the same thought process concerning the banning of “arming” kids with materials that can burn down a neighbor’s home and applauding the sale of such merchanidise as “free enterprise”.

Posted: 29 November 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Mr. Butler, could you explain more about what you mean by a “ballot initiative”?  Are you expecting a group to collect signatures for a petition to put something on a ballot?  If you like the route of ballot initiatives, then why was the petition for social services claimed to be invalid?  Advice of legal department aside, commissioners could have disagreed with the attorney’s interpretation and allowed the question to be put on a ballot, if the preference is to have citizens vote on every issue.

Posted: 29 November 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry I disagree with your views on Fireworks. I agree that the commission tip toes around with feelers so they dont anger anyone.

Fireworks are amazing. It brings in a income in in a short time period. Stupidity you can not change. Ban them- People will still shoot them. Ban fireworks? Then ban everything that is unsafe.

Posted: 29 November 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Wynn,

I sell fireworks and agree with the BAN in adverse conditions. HOWEVER. We invest thousands in fireworks, tents, lot rental, etc. There would need to be a guarantee to have a second date set up as a mock FOURTH to shoot the fireworks.

Posted: 29 November 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Kathy:  The work sessions are brainstorming sessions.  It is possible for the commission to vote to put on the ballot a fireworks ban for public vote.  It is an option.  I posted the thread comment to see what people might think about that option.  My personal thought on the issue is that I do not like the fireworks.  But I also understand that many folks like the fireworks.  Either way is fine with me at this time.  It looks like at present the commission might vote on the ban under special circumstances like drought, but not an outright ban.  My question is would the citizens like to vote on it –a total ban?  I would anticipate that the results would be no, but I could be wrong. 
I think you already know my position on the SOS petition.  The legal department said it was invalid and therefore it was not placed on the ballot by a 4-1 vote.  Any fireworks ballot initiative would of course also have to pass legal review. 

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Josh Runyan - 29 November 2012 01:26 PM

Larry I disagree with your views on Fireworks. I agree that the commission tip toes around with feelers so they dont anger anyone.

Fireworks are amazing. It brings in a income in in a short time period. Stupidity you can not change. Ban them- People will still shoot them. Ban fireworks? Then ban everything that is unsafe.

Interesting how the “then ban everything” argument gets tossed out in so many instances.  When we were promoting the Clean Air Ordinace, people used that.  “If you ban smoking in restaurants, you might as well ban breathing.  Every time someone breathes they emit germs.” 

Even though those invested in the industry don’t want to admit it, society has morphed itself out of “responsible handling of fireworks”.  Kids are allowed to shoot off fireworks with no parental supervision.  Fireworks are discharged in residential areas with cedar shake roofs.  If someone asks a neighbor’s child to refrain from shooting fireworks at his/her residence, the child’s parents will quite often take exception to someone directing their child.  We just are not a society where everyone behaves well.  That lack of responsibility resulted in one home being burned last year… and will cause additional property damage or loss of life in the future.  When someone is hurt, those selling the products and those refusing to ban the sale of the products will be the first to point fingers as others.

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Josh Runyan - 29 November 2012 01:31 PM

Wynn,

I sell fireworks and agree with the BAN in adverse conditions. HOWEVER. We invest thousands in fireworks, tents, lot rental, etc. There would need to be a guarantee to have a second date set up as a mock FOURTH to shoot the fireworks.

What planet do you reside on when you think the City OWES you a guarantee of a second date??!!??  If we are in a drought, with extreme fire danger, that could last for two or three months.  I can’t see where the City owes any business person a guarantee to sell their goods.  If citizens plant gardens, investing their hard earned money in seed, should the City guarantee them a crop?  If a local business purchases a few thousand sweat shirts for a specific BCS bowl game and the team ends up going to another, should the City guarantee that vendor sale of their product??  The local governing agency in no way owes any vendor a guarantee they will be able to sell their fireworks. 

Posted: 30 November 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Great comparisons…

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.