< 1 2
2 of 2
Swimming Trumps Social Services
Posted: 29 November 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

WYNN-

The Special Alcohol Fund will be dishing out way less money in years to come. Needs get higher as our city expands. Money gets tighter as our spending reduces. More needs less money.

UFM should NOT be cut out of funding. Have you visited them to know what they truly do? GREAT program. Boys and Girls club is at capacity so where do these kids go? You do know the type of kids that go to UFM for help right?

I challenge you to come to a SSAB meeting or Special Alcohol meeting and learn about the groups that receive money. HEAR the stories before you make a judgement on their funding. The money allocated pays salaries or wages to help our youth and adult population. Gives right back to the city. Unfortunately the Alcohol committee which I am on doesn’t meet again till February. The scholarship program the CITY CUT from UFM (WHICH UFM MANAGED FOR FREE (I believe is what I was told))  helped sponsor kids to go swim with the marlins and other athletic or club organization that took a lot of money to join. Not anymore.

WYNN—What is the city doing with the old fire station on Anderson?

OFF TOPIC===
Sorry to break my rule on not posting on this new crappy site. I realize I have mentioned using real names at one point but understand the real use nicknames. People can not feel comfortable on any website anymore criticizing our city and its politics with out everyone knowing. Its sad that one cant voice an opinion without everyone pointing fingers at someone.

If I created a FORUM that was entirely similar to the old site that was geared towards community involvement would anyone use it? I would pay the cost and manage it myself. I currently have a few sites with hosting capabilities and have one more website I could publish without incurring anymore costs.

I mean does anyone actually get on here to read the mercury or to just view what people are writing? How many of you are ONLINE SUBSCRIBERS? I assumed that is more popular for out of state folk.

Website ideas

http://mhkmatters.com/

Posted: 29 November 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Josh:  I have attended a number of the SSAB meetings.  Primarily because I am interested in going the route of cutting support, so that we only have five or six agencies and the budget is limited to 250K or so.  The other programs to include UFM can raise money through donations.  I do not need to be convinced that the programs are good ones.  That has never been my issue, tax funding is the issue.  I am all for donations and support various donation programs to include the water bill donation effort.  Do not want to use the term that Larry took offense with – so let us just say that a new approach to funding is what this is about, it is not about the value of the organizations.  By the way the SSAB board recommended elimination of UFM.  The final result was an across the board 5% cut to all ten agencies.

On the topic of names and the website:  I have always posted under my name.  I would personally not be interested in taking part in a forum that was like the old Mercury blog.  Names are essential, so that individuals get credit for what they post. 

Kathy:  Public Transportation is not a core city function at this time.  At present I do not believe that it should be funded.  That could change in ten years or so.  But present conditions do not support making public transportation a funded item.  We cannot subsidize everything.

Dave:  Maybe the scare crow would work in the traffic circle; we still need to fill the pedestal. 

Larry:  Fair enough analysis on the pools.  We have a list of wants that people desire, Public Transportation, support all kinds of outside agencies like UFM, keep excellent parks and at the same time keep taxes low.  A mission impossible we just do not have enough money.  So priorities are in order.   

Posted: 29 November 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

And what of the Fire Station?

Posted: 29 November 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

At present public works is using the facility.  We have a future study session to brainstorm city properties.  This being one of many that the city might be able to sell or use in a more efficient manner.

Posted: 29 November 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I doubt you would be for it but what about a youth center?

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10
Wynn Butler - 29 November 2012 04:58 PM

Maybe the scare crow would work in the traffic circle; we still need to fill the pedestal. 

And just why do we NEED to fill the pedestal??  Traffic is moving through the intersection without artwork.  Art displayed on the pedestal will not make traffic flow smoother.  In fact, depending on what is constructed, it could even cause accidents/congestion.  I guess I have difficulty understanding why we need to spend $100,000 +/- on art for a round-a-bout when we say spending needs reduced.

Hilgers has mentioned money left over from the North end “kitty” that would go towards the artwork.  Is that money burning a hole in the City’s pocket?  Why couldn’t that left over money be better spent paid back to the bond holders to reduce the City’s debt?

Posted: 30 November 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I agree with Larry. We HAVE to fill the pedestal trumps social services and swimming and city debt? You will take away $3000 away from UFM and spend $100,000 on a statue that adds nothing but a target for cars to hit?

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Folks, you missed the point (or inferred much that I did not say) on the comment about the scare crow.  I do not support spending a dime on the pedestal.  A bunch of folks want something on that thing, a scare crow would be fine with me, as long as it is free.  I never voted to allocate 100k for that thing.  In fact what I spoke about the pedestal during the last election:  http://youtu.be/hLacq-03yK8 I questioned why it was even put in place.  I even suggested at the last work session on the pedestal that it might be cheaper to remove it than put something on it.  I still think UFM – really the youth scholarship fund, should be discontinued from support through SSAB.  It is not (UFM) in the same league as the Crisis Center.

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Josh:  I like youth centers.  How would you fund it?

Posted: 03 December 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Started a new topic

Posted: 04 December 2012 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

Josh - I tried to send a PM but that feature is still broken. I also asked around about starting another forum a while ago but got no response. It would probably be a lot of work to start it up and get the word out, but the best way to see if people would want it is to create it and see what happens.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.