New forum sucks
Posted: 11 October 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-10-09

Lets see, 3 days to get acct approved. check.  then must psot with real name. check.  then cannot access own profile page. check.  Did Mercury f&$k(oul) this up?  D@#$(arn) straight.  Good Job Ned and Jelani.  Oh, and if anyone from the old board manages to make it here, you now know my real name.  Am I who you thought I was Common Sense?

Posted: 12 October 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Nice first post!  Folks have been asking for a long, long time that The Mercury upgrade their web presence.  The old forum software was antiquated and difficult to use.  I’m certainly willing to give them a chance to get used to the new software.  If they will focus just a little through the roll out, it could become a great asset for community communication.

There will be some hiccups.  I e-mailed Jelani about not being able to start threads in the Local News forum.  The moderator will need to activate that forum for posting.  The profile page, as you indicated, will need activated.  These are functions that will need attention.

Again, the old format was difficult to navigate and the board had become little about community and more about personal attacks.  Let’s be patient and see if we all can work together to develop this new format into something bigger and better.

Posted: 12 October 2012 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-10-09

Larry, I respectfully disagree. These are more than hiccups.  The new boards are up for three days and only you and I have managed to navigate the new rules? Things on the page seem to randomly change?  This could have been done in a much better fashion, but as is the norm for this so called paper, they went all out at doing things half way.  my prediction.  these boards remain the dead zone they are now.  I am sorry, but I disagree that we can “work together” to develop this new format.  I for one am going into the offices this morning to watch them remove me from this new system.  Read the terms of service they wrote.  Among other things embedded in that very 1984 like document is the fact that they reserve the right to give your info to third parties.  from section 3 “You also grant us the right to disclose to third parties certain Registration Data about you. “

I am sorry, but I don’t need Ned handing my phone number to his business pals so they can send be adverts or start calling me at dinner. 

I wasn’t entirely against the real name thing, but was under the impression that we would still have a screen name and that real name would be on our profile page only.  I will have to get someone to let me know if Saver shows back up (that was a pretty big glitch no?,  new board requiring real names and first poster gets to use a screen name.)  Ned, Jelani, it is called beta testing.  look it up on the interwebs.  you do not roll out something like this in the totally FUBARed condition it is in and not expect rational people to sit by without complaint.  Look for me between 9 and 10 this morning as I want to “see” tyou remove me from this list.

This new board does look nice, kind like the lobby of a funeral home, a dead place that the living only visit reluctantly.

Posted: 12 October 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

Agree. Im fine giving my name but why does it have to be what I post as?

Im done with this site for now.

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I am here guys…thanks to Ned’s help.  I hope others can get back on as well.

Posted: 12 October 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Welcome back, Hadley!!  Remember, this is a “no smoking” establishment!!  Surely most of you who used your real names on the other forum will return.  The question will be whether many of us who always used screen names will venture out of the darkness.

Posted: 13 October 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, Larry.  Looks like it is just you and me for a while.  What shall we talk about?

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

OK…I’ll pick the topic.  I think this real name thing is a bad idea.  I understand the reasoning, but I still think it is a bad idea.  Here’s why.
Unlike some of us, many posters are employed and may work for organizations who would not appreciate any critical comments…the university immediately comes to mind, but there are others.  If a poster posts an unpopular idea, and works, let’s say for Best Buy.  Best Buy might not like the idea that this employee might have cost them some business.  Now, I am not answerable to anyone, nor is Bob Strawn, nor Randall and a few others.  I fear that the forum will be dominated by the few of us and those who keep us in line from time to time will be excluded.  I can think of several excellent and thoughtful posters…Stacia, Klon and others who probably, for reasons we don’t know, but are probably valid…will no longer participate, and that is sad.  I am afraid that we will be left with Randall arguing with Bob and the rest of us in general agreement.  How boring is that?

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

it’s more difficult to call larry williams an idiot than mr. c, isn’t it.  i know larry.  he’s a friend.  mr. c. was just some lame poster from god knows what planet.  but we’ll see.  michael is probably right.  the hardliners won’t be here anymore flaming away at every moving target because now they have to stand behind their rants.  no more bizarre shots from the closet.  a civil discussion perhaps.

Posted: 13 October 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Civil perhaps, my friend…but possibly boring.  My own view is that the forum may have precluded some people from participating who are employed and might fear retribution for what they say here.  In an anonymous forum, they can speak freely.  Yes, that does allow them ...some of them…to attack personally, but those attacks can be ignored for the sake of freedom of speech.  I have taught broadcasting and journalism, and this is called the “chilling effect”...people fearful to speak freely.  So far, the only posters are white males, mostly older white males who share the same basic ethic, and are gainfully unemployed.  I am afraid that will continue and we can just advocate our philosophy without ever being called on it.  That does not make for good discussion…or very interesting discussion.  So, I guess we can just pat each other on the back and be joyful that we are rid of those heretics who dared disagree with us.

Posted: 13 October 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I have extremely mixed feelings re the name issue.  I, personally, understand why some of us are/were reluctant to use our names on a public forum.  You will NOT see some of the candid questions and discussion that could be had with monikers.  However, I understand the pressure the newspaper was under from the Chamber, etc. to attempt quieting of the dissenters. It’s not, IMHO, a freedom of speech issue.  We still have the freedom to state our beliefs, we just may be more subject to consequences if we are as open with those beliefs.

The long term effect on the forum will not be seen for some time.  We can assume there will be less chatter.  However, some who have not wanted to enter discussions without knowing who they were visiting with might now participate. 

Michael, I don’t know that we’ll “pat each other on the back”.  Even though Bob and I agree on many topics, we still vehemently disagree on others.  You and I were on opposite sides of the smoking ban.  And… I enjoy playing “Devil’s advocate” on some topics, attempting to stimulate discussion.  24 days until the Presidential election may allow us to initiate some hearty discussion to kick off the new discussion board.

Posted: 13 October 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Open discussion is a thing of the past.  You and I and Bob and Randall will discuss issues….in a boring fashion.  Middle aged white guys expressing their views…Oh well…fifty percent of nothing is $2.57…you think about that.

Posted: 13 October 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

middle age - i like that.  ha.

Posted: 13 October 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

And who is here to discuss things, Larry?...You and I and bob.  Everyone else is silent.  I guess we will just have to find things the three of us disagree upon.  This will, indeed, be an exciting adventure.

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

In the past, we’ve not seen much activity from Mercury staff over weekends.  Hence, I don’t know that many more will make it through the grueling process of acceptance into this exclusive club until next week.  Probably just us old geezers and a few crickets until then.

Too bad we can’t post photos of ourselves next to our names.  You’d have all the young single ladies in Manhattan jumping on the board just to see your handsome face, Michael…...

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.