City wants to take Seniors’ Center parking
Posted: 26 November 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

There was an article in the Free Press to the effect that the city wants to take the Seniors’ Center parking lot and make it a municipal lot because the Strasser Village Apartments need more parking.  Anyone know more about the situation?

Posted: 27 November 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Caticus here.  Dad said to tell you that he has not heard about that, but that it wouldn’t surprise him a bit.
As for me and my sisters, we don’t like parking lots because we have been told by Dad that cars are very dangerous things and a grave threat to adorable kitties.  My aunt, Doc, was in fact done in by one right in front of me.  Now I stay in the yard, or in the house.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Certainly no surprise.  The parking issue was discussed when the residential buffer units were before the Commission.  Even on this forum… the old forum… Common Sense was quite defensive of the developer and the less than adequate parking.  The Strasser Apartment developer has a track record of getting anything and everything they want through the Commission.  I would expect nothing less if they want to pirate the Senior Center parking.  $450,000 of tax dollars for a walk bridge to nowhere… flew through the Commission like grass through a goose.  Waiving of utility connection fees and building permit fees… no problem for this developer.  Wants parking now dedicated to and needed for other City properties… probably won’t even need to go through the Commission.

Posted: 27 November 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

The item is scheduled for the Dec. 4th City Commission meeting.  The Seniors’ Center is changing its mailing address, and thus, needs to revise its lease with the city, which seems to have created the opportunity to cut the parking lot out of the lease agreement.  On the zoning map, it looks like the parking lot is all part of the Seniors’ Center PUD and not currently a municipal parking lot.  It will be interesting to see how the situation plays out and what justifications are invented.

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10
Kathy Dzewaltowski - 27 November 2012 10:42 AM

... and what justifications are invented.

“Justification invention” is a principle concept of political prominence in a small community like Manhattan.

Posted: 02 December 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I think the discussion and renewal of the Lease with the Senior Citizens Center has been misrepresented in the press; both the Mercury and the Free Press.  I am a member of the Senior Citizens Center Board.  We discussed at great length the ownership of the parking lot around the center.  The ownership of the lot is really of no importance.  The true issue is will parking be available for people to use the center?  A lease has been agreed upon.  The Director of the Senior Center and the Board agreed to the Lease terms and I believe the Director signed the Lease last week.  The section on Parking states the following:

Parking. It is the intent of the parties that the parking lot immediately to the east of the
building will be reserved for the exclusive use of the Center. The parking lot addressed as
321 N. 4th Street will be reserved for the exclusive use of the Center from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. on weekdays, except for ten (10) parking stalls specified by the Center. These ten (10)
stalls will be available at all times for use by the general public, usage not to exceed ten (10)
continuous hours. The Center shall be responsible for all signage and enforcement of its
exclusive use. The City shall be responsible for the striping of the parking lots and also for
any major repairs or replacement thereof.

‹‹ No topic      The Weed Museum ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.