I can’t believe how dead it is here
Posted: 23 November 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Where is Randall?  Where is Bob? Where is Stacia? Where is Curm?  Where are all the others who made this forum fun?  I am a bit surprised at Bob’s departure because he was the leading advocate of the “real names” policy. Now, he has disappeared.  Oh well, we can all get a new hobby…I might take up stamp collecting.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Yep, I’m sorta worried about Bob.  I’ll send him a PM to see if he’s under the weather.  He may just be still in mourning re the Presidential election and the sales tax referendum.

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Good Lord…....This board hasn’t changed since Friday

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

It history, Michael.  It’s beginning to appear that was the intent.  The old board allowed political discussion for which The Mercury decided they could charge for on the editorial page.  The old board allowed dissention with the Chamber, etc. who The Mercury cowtows to.  The old board posted news/events that The Mercury would publish as news days later.  So, they shut down the old board… made the new board a challenge to join… hoping it would die a quick death.  And, it is.

I e-mailed Bob.  He’s still suffering from overload after seeing the election/elections go the “wrong” way.  And, without the usual suspects, it’s no fun having a dialogue with an empty house.

It’s too bad there is not a place where open discussion can be held, with folks conducting a dialogue about local happenings.  As many have found, “an informed public is a politician’s worst nightmare”.  The local ‘shadow government’ tired of people actually dissenting on issues that mean dollars in their pockets.  Used to be print media would stand against being politically influenced.  Evidently, that is “so yesterday” and The Mercury has chosen to not rile “the pretty folk”... or maybe the “petty folk”.

I still check in, Michael, every day or so.  Used to check in on at much shorter intervals.  Perhaps you can train your cats to post.  A few “meows” would be much more discussion than this board generates in its current state of demise.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

MEOWR!
(That was Caticus…I have yet to train Felinicus and Underfooticus to operate the computer.  Caticus is the male, so he learns faster).

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Is the “R” indicative of a Minnesota accent or a Texas drawl?  Kansas is one of the few places folks don’t talk funny.  Has to be the same with cats!

You are correct in your assumptions that males learn faster… and are always much smarter.  We just allow the ladies in our lives to assume we’re a little on the slow side.  They are fun to watch.  I believe “blonde jokes” should all be collected, leather bound, and locked in a time capsule.  Future generations would be able to read what we’ve had to learn the hard way.  :>)

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
It is indicative of a cat who came from the street and never learned a proper “Meow”  It is possible that he migrated from the east coast where they use the interlocking “r”...Americar, Cubar…Just like JFK.  His sisters say “yeow”  They can’t do “meow either.  Right now they are having a boxing match.  All sitting on their haunches and swinging at one another.  It is going to be a long winter I fear.

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Yeow…This is Felinicus.  Dad is teaching me how to use the forum.  I have walked on the computer many times while dad is asleep, turning on various things.  Today, however, he is teaching me the alphabet.  Tomorrow he promises to teach my twin sister, Underfooticus…that will be difficult, because she is not very smart.  I got all the brains and the looks…well, I look just like her, but, I have a better personality.  I am pleased to meet you, Larry.  Dad has spoken highly of you.  I hope we can have many meaningful conversations….after Dad has gone to bed…which is always early.

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Mrower…My name is Underfooticus.  Dad is typing this for me because, unlike Caticus and Felinicus, I am not good with machines.  I am, however, lovable and I always use the litter box when I am inside the house. I do confess that I went in the gladiolas a few times during the spring and summer, and, inadvertently dug them up whilst covering my indiscretions.  Dad was very angry.  I blamed it on the raccoon.  I do like to spread my food around the kitchen floor, but then Dad pulls out the vacuum cleaner and chases me with it.  That is one scary machine.  Well, Goodnight.  I only posted here because Dad insisted, claiming there were too few posters.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Your cats forced me to start a thread, so they had better post comments on it!

Posted: 07 December 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, it’s done… toast… no interest at all.  Evidently, any interest in the political clime in Manhattan went out the window.  The Mercury’s goal of killing “free” political speech suceeded.  They made money from the political editorials in November.  Surely, we don’t want the discussion board to get too popular and the April election cycle see “pay for print” take a hit from the newspaper’s own forum.

Has another place to discuss Manhattan happenings been initiated?  If so, someone please give us the link.  This one sure went bust.

Posted: 07 December 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I am afraid you may be right Larry.  This polite discussion among the four or five of us remaining, is not terribly exciting.  The newspaper steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that it made a mistake.  Like you, I will continue to follow the forum, but will post less frequently until I see that someone is actually reading.  This is the same reason I quit writing my blog.  No one was reading the blogs because they were hidden in the format.  I think they are completely gone now.

Posted: 07 December 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

Working on it….

I have the site bought and the framework started. I just need key features finished. Trying to make it so it scrubs information from kman and wibw for local news to add relevance.

Any requests? Suggestions?

Personally I like the format of the new website the mercury has.

I will require emails (wont use for marketing of any type) and will require validation through email.

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks, Josh!!  “Properly” moderated, I believe it could be a success.  The old Mercury board had zero moderation, allowing waaaayyyy too many personal attacks.  The Mercury, in its infinite wisdom, decided rather than have some dedicated moderators it was easier just to not have anyone post. 

The Manhattan community remains dynamic!!  In the short term, we have the April election cycle on the horizon.  We will have long term issues such as NBAF, how federal budget changes affect Ft. Riley, KSU funding, KSU athletics, traffic issues…  There are hundreds of “water cooler” discussions every day in corporate and neighborhood circles around town.  Those opinions and ideas can be expressed… and discussed with… a much larger audience if we have a well run discussion board.

I subscribe to something on the upside of a dozen discussion boards…. politics, golf, Chevrolet trucks.  Every one of those… EVERY one of those requires a verifiable e-mail address and that is all.  Screen names are used, NEVER requiring publication of a person’s name.  In this society, it is much too dangerous to get into discussions with people you do not know if they can identify you.  Sheesh!  As far as we know, “Josh Runyan” is a death row prisoner in Leavenworth… controlling a ring of thugs on the ‘outside’ who will settle arguments in person!!!!  :>)

Some discussion boards go for quantity.  The more posters, the more you will have trolls and trouble makers.  Others seem to pride themselves on quality.  One of my golf discussion boards is quite personal.  We have a small group of dedicated golf fanatics across the U.S., with additional members in Ireland, Hong Kong, and South Africa.  We have wept together as members have passed on.  We have bonded together as members have had military sons or daughters in harms way.  There are get-togethers each summer where participants who want to put faces with names can attend and play a couple rounds of golf together.  That forum will NOT allow any political discussion.  Politics have a way of bringing out the worst in us… myself included.  Yet, in a community such as Manhattan, political issues are important to our quality of life and the future of our community.

Again… Good Luck!  Please advise us when you are up and running.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.