Public flogging!!!  More on the news at 10!!!!
Posted: 13 November 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Could we see a knock down, drag out brawl like NASCAR witnessed this weekend?  Could we see a public flogging of conservative commissioners?  Tune in to the 5 p.m. “Special City Commission Meeting/Work Session” this afternoon!!!!

The conservative commissioners will shut down funding of the “liberal bastion of political policies” when the eliminate City support of UFM.  That will be the only item on the Special Commission Meeting agenda and could well initiate some public discourse.

In the Work Session, they will eliminate the Municipal Band Advisory Board.  In order to appease the conservative constituency, a couple of the commissioners tried to eliminate the Municipal Band during budget discussions.  Meeting resistence, they simply moved the Band from a free-standing entitiy to the Parks & Rec Department.  Now, the Director of Parks & Rec needs to find funding for the Band from his already stretched budget. 
Since 1919… Yes, for almost 100 years, Manhattan has had a Municipal Band Advisory Board.  Now, since the Band has been moved to P&R, the Board will be eliminated.  Without the support of its own Board, that will probably mean the demise of the Band.
MP-3 players and the latest “i-gadgets” have really diminished the need for a band.  With MTV, etc. do we really need to go to the Park and watch locals play 1940s tunes?  It’s difficult to fit a trombone player and a tuba player in the backseat of the cars that drive by our home with their boom boxes vibrating our windows.  So, do we even need the Band?
It’s just difficult to see history disppear.  But, if nothing else, some good discussion might be available for viewing as the Commission waddles its way through a couple of this afternoon’s agenda items.

Posted: 14 November 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

The SSAB requested that the City Commission re-evaluate the 5% funding cut to the SSAB budget for 2013.  The 5% cut was an across the board cut.  SSAB requested revision to target the cut so that UFM or in reality the City Youth Scholarship fund receive zero funding for 2013.  The funding change was approximately $2800.  It was not an addition or subtraction from the total budget.  The idea was to move that amount to the other nine agencies.  That would have increased the budget for MESI and the other nine agencies.  I like targeted cuts and am not a fan of across the board cuts.  I supported the SSAB request, the board did excellent work.  The SSAB request failed 3-1 with one Commissioner not voting.  I voted for getting rid of the UFM /Youth Scholarship Funding as it is evident that the Emergency Shelter , Crisis Center etc. are more important than UFM.  It is about priorities. 

The Band is part of Parks and Recreation Budget.  Last year the Band and the Band budget was moved into Parks and Recreation Budget.  The Band use to be in the Outside Agencies Category.  The Band Advisory Board was eliminated.  But a Committee will remain in place that will assist the Parks and Recreation Board.  The City Band and future funding for the band will be part of the total Arts in the Park and Parks & Recreation budget.  I do not anticipate any demise of the band.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.