The Big 12 North back in business.
Posted: 15 February 2016 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2012-10-28

Once again against the best advice of those who suggest it is better to remain silent and let them think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt…

I am once again going to attempt to read the tea leaves.

Based upon BYU, Cincinnati, Kirk Schultz and Bob Bowlsby all singing in harmony, (lets keep this discussion out of the public domain)  I’m guessing expansion is on and BYU and Cincinnati are “IT”

Which gets us back to composition of the Big 12 North.

Since the south is pretty much still in tact with the substitution of TCU for A&M, it seems the most probable divisional composition for the Big 12 North will be Iowa State, KU, K State,  West Virginia, Cincinnati and BYU.

Cincinnati and BYU will not be given full shares at least until 2026.  Neither the BYU Network nor the Longhorn Network will be rolled into a Big 12 network regardless of weather or not a Big 12 Network is actually launched.

Expansion will likely occur July 1 2017 with the next CCG December of 2017.

This of course is merely speculation

Posted: 22 July 2016 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

While I am less sure about BYU and Cincinnati being “In” it is apparent the Big 12 is going to add 4 beginning 2017.

There is a whole lot of “lobbying” going on.  UCF apparently is willing to spread “Phase In” of conference share over 10 years.  Memphis or more specifically FEDEX is willing to throw millions of dollars in sponsorships at the Big 12.  Houston apparently has secured the blessings of his holiness the President of the University of Texas-Austin so they are now a shoe in.

BYU, Cincinnati and Colorado State all remain good options so there appears to be,

Regardless of how it pans out I think the divisional alignment will probably end up being along old Big 8 / SWC lines.  (Splits the 2 dominant powers of the Big 12 in different divisions with their traditional rivals) and the Red River Rivalry will probably be the only case where cross divisional rivals meet every year.

North; Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and probably 2 of BYU, Colorado State or Memphis. 

South; Baylor, Houston, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia and either Cincinnati or Memphis

Posted: 29 July 2016 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

With 5 weeks to go before K State makes its first ever appearance at Stanford. It looks like we are about the same length of time away from expansion announcement.

Looks like it will be 4.  BYU and Houston for sure.

So my newest guesstimate is:

Big 12 North: Brigham Young, Colorado State, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Big 12 South: Baylor, Houston, Texas, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, West Virginia (Flip a coin for one of Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF)

Posted: 04 August 2016 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

I do get the while FOX/ESPN position on “the spirit of the deal” when the Big 12’s new media contracts (2011) paid the same for 10 members without a CCG as it did for 12 members with a CCG.

I can see the right thing for the Big 12 to do would be to add 2 members only and a CCG and take the $40 million per year increase to pay for 2 new members AND the CCG.

In my opinion a 2 member only addition right now is going to be (sorry WVU)  BYU and Houston, with the Big 8 and WVU in the North and SWC and BYU in the South

HOWEVER if the 8 current members of the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma come to the conclusion that FOX/ESPN may be the next “victims” of conference realignment and tht the wave of the future (2025-26) will be direct streaming platforms such as Netflix, Amazon, Twitter, Google etc…  The Big 12 may well vote to make the full cash grab ($80 million a year for adding 4 new members) now and deal with the unintended consequences in 2025.

Who knows?  Will be really interesting to see how it all shakes out

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.