Are we No. 1?
Posted: 11 November 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-08-12

The win, coupled with Alabama’s loss to Texas A&M earlier yesterday, should propel the Wildcats to No. 1 in the BCS standings.

Posted: 11 November 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

Maybe it will and maybe it won’t.  The current BCS isn’t so much about being #1 in the polls as it is about being in the top 2, and the final poll is the only one that counts.  Toward that end Alabama has done everyone a favor by losing.
Now its between K State, Oregon and Notre Dame. (for the moment).

As it stands right now if K State wins out they are probably headed to the National Championship game.

Oregon has its 2 toughest games (Stanford and Oregon State) coming up , followed by a Conference Championship game against either USC or UCLA.  As we saw last night CAL exposed some weaknesses in Oregon’s game that may trip up th Quack Attack in real competition (Stanford).

Notre Dame has to play USC which at this point for them is a true wild card, you don’t know if ND will be facing the USC Champs or the USC Chumps.

But for K State the Big 12 Championship is at hand.  Win against Baylor and the Wildcats will have their 2nd Big 12 Title and be guaranteed no less than a Fiesta Bowl birth.

Oregon has 3 legitimately tough games that they could lose.  It would not surprise me to see them lose 2 of the 3.

Based On K State and Notre Dame performance to date, I anticipate Notre Dame vs K State as the NCG.

If 2 of the remaining 3 undefeated lose, I expect they will put the SEC Champion in the NCG.

It is incredibly ironic that K State lost an opportunity to play king of the hill in 1998 with a a loss to Texas A&M, and here we are in 2012 with K State being given an opportunity to play king of the hill once again because of Texas A&M knocking off #1 Alabama.  (Does this mean we have an official love/hate relationship with the Aggies?)

Posted: 11 November 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

The difficult thing right now for KSU is their physical condition.  Klein did not play like he was back at 100%.  His style of play keeps him absorbing a large number of big hits during each game.  What will be the prognosis for Lockett and Zimmerman?  Both are key to KSU winning out.  If… IF the Cats can stay healthy, they should win out.

I believe we have to accept the probability either Oregon or ND will win out.  OF those two, I think Oregon is the stronger and will win out… even with the tough opponents of Stanford and OSU.  I also hope Barkley is on when ND plays USC and shows them up for their weaknesses.

If all three go undefeated, it all depends on how ND looks against USC and how KSU finishes against Baylor and Texas.  If ND romps over USC and KSU has a tough time getting past their last two opponenets, money/dollars may vault ND past KSU and we would see ND/Oregon in the NCS.  As it stands today, I’d predict we’ll see Oregon/KSU.  Let’s hope so.

Posted: 11 November 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

AP & Coaches Polls 11/11/12 both have Oregon in 1st with 44/45 1st place votes, K State in 2nd with 14/14 votes and Notre Dame in 3rd with 1/1 1st place votes.

Some of the talking heads had mentioned that the removal of Alabama from the Top 3 would likely put Oregon in the #1 position in both the Coaches and AP Polls which might give Oregon enough BCS points to take over the #1 spot in the BCS rankings.

But like I said, earlier, its no longer about being #1 its about finishing in the Top2.

Posted: 11 November 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

BCS #1 11/11/2012.  Congratulations Wildcats!  Time to close out the Big 12 BEAT BAYLOR…

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

Rumor has it Zimmerman may be down with a broken collarbone.  Seems like the injury bug may get us before another team is able to!

Posted: 12 November 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-19

I believe it’s Sexton with a broken collarbone and Zimmerman with an ankle sprain.

Posted: 13 November 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

Yep thanks for the correction, but I believe Zimmerman has more than an ankle sprain!

Posted: 13 November 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-19

You’re right on Zimmerman, it’s sounding much worse.

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

In a nutshell, no, you are not #1.  That would be Notre Dame.  Knute has done it again.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.