Veterans Day
Posted: 09 November 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-22

Great turnout for the parade! On my door knocking for the campaign I got some surprising feedback about our community/military relations in Manhattan. Several active military families living in our community felt an “odd disconnect” from the city and even their neighbors. It’s been described as somewhat of a superficial relationship. Today the parade really underscored the amount of compassion people do reserve for our servicemembers but has anyone else heard of this “odd disconnect”.

Posted: 09 November 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Aaron,
There is always an odd disconnect between civilians and the military.  Most civilians revere the “idea” of the service person defending them, but, in reality, they want nothing to do with those people.  They throw parades and sing the praises of the military, but, basically they don’t like it.  They like only the concept of the brave warrior.  If they really revered the military, then you should have won the election.

Posted: 09 November 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-22
Michael Hadley - 09 November 2012 03:35 PM

If they really revered the military, then you should have won the election.

I’m not buying it. I think I got more people to listen because I was a veteran and lost for a multitude of reasons but none had anything to do with Veteran status. (Just don’t want this post to turn into a pity party about the election results.)

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

The long and many deployments have not helped our military personnel to become “attached” to the community near where they are stationed.  Manhattan is so blessed to have our large contingent of military in our community.  Military families are play important roles in our churches, our schools, our fraternal organizations.  Dependents of the military work in our stores, teach our children, are employed in our medical facilities. 

If you are serving in the military or have served in the military, thank you for your service.  Our Country just went through another election cycle where we voted for our leaders, freely and without fear… thanks to the job our military does.  I, for one, appreciate each and every one of you!!!!

‹‹ Amazing      Ned, Jelani, etal ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.