Voting in Manhattan
Posted: 04 November 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-22

How has your advance/early voting experience gone? Has the lengthy ballot or voter ID created long lines? What do you think of the “email/fax” voting being offered to those displaced in New Jersey from the hurricane damage?

Posted: 04 November 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

We have used the walk-in early voting for quite a number of times.  It has ALWAYS been an excellent experience… this year included!! 

I still believe the County’s decision to allow early voting at the Student Union may expose them to litigation.  That voting location lends itself to convenience a specific demographic.  If a second location were needed, it should have been a location near campus… not on campus.  The old Memorial Hospital building or even the Alumni Center would have been much more accessible to a mixed demographic than the Union.  But… that’s an entirely different discussion.

The “email/fax’ voting, now being offered to some of those in the NE won’t go well.  It will allow many victims of Sandy to exercise their right to vote.  Whichever candidate does win the Presidential election, there will be significant complaints of voter fraud.  Those complaints will include the allowing of email/fax voting… but not be limited to that.

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Let us all just pause for a moment and relish the idea that, in three days, all this nonsense will be over.  As with most folks, I don’t care who wins or loses…doesn’t matter once they get into office…I will just be relieved to not listen to all the lies that each one of them tells to try and get elected to a low-paying job.  One has to wonder what kind of a person would spend thousands of dollars to get a job that pays a few hundred a month.

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-22
Michael Hadley - 04 November 2012 12:10 PM

One has to wonder what kind of a person would spend thousands of dollars to get a job that pays a few hundred a month.

I agree. It’s sad that so much money is spent on these campaigns. I have to wonder if more people would run for office if they could support themselves/family on the wage. On the other hand, the legislature was designed to be a “citizen legislature” that was conducive to working full time in addition to serving your district part time in Topeka 90 days a year.

Tax cuts & Earmarks for big business is a political reality and will continue to perpetuate the record setting campaign contributions at least for the near future. The Citizens United decision has really opened the door to this disgusting barrage of sound bytes and post cards on a whole new level and intensity.

I turned 29 this year and this climate of campaigning is the new normal for me. What was it like 30 or 40 yrs ago? I recently watched the classic b/w 1958 movie “The Last Hurrah”. The negative campaigning and politics in that movie are not so far from today’s.

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, Aaron, Good luck.  I must confess that i do not know what office you are running for, nor do I know your party affiliation, but you seem like a pleasant guy, so….Good Luck.

Posted: 05 November 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-22
Larry Williams - 04 November 2012 11:20 AM

We have used the walk-in early voting for quite a number of times.  It has ALWAYS been an excellent experience… this year included!!  .

My wife and I voted today (for me) at the courthouse and it was very quick and easy! I’m hopeful that tomorrow will also be ran efficiently at the various polling locations. Great job thus far Manhattan/Riley County!

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.