< 1 2
2 of 2
Big 12 Football Championship Presentation
Posted: 01 November 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

My first K State game was in 1969 when Steve Owens and the #11 ranked Sooners came to town.

K State crushed the Sooners that day by some ridiculous score like 59-21.

I have been a loyal although often absent fan since then.

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-10-18

To speak of a Championship while there is 4 games left is your thing go right ahead.  I am pretty sure that Coach Snyder is not calling up the Big 12 offices and telling them to put the Trophy in the mail today.  This is college football and anything can happen on any given saturday.  Kstate is one play away from going 0-4 to end the season if Collin Klein would get hurt.  Not that I am wishing that upon him, but it is the truth.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

Jeez Scott if my discussing a Championship before it happens is offensive to you, why are you still monitoring this thread?

I’m really not concerned with what arrangements Coach Snyder may or may not make for the award of the Championship Trophy in that eventuality.

I am only concerned with finding out if it occurs, when it will occur,  so I can attend if at all possible.

So sorry if that cause your panties to bunch up on you.

Once again I feel the need to get out my idiot stick and take it for a ride (thats a dig on me, not on you)  But your responses seem to be typical of many of the responses I have seen on these forums in the past few years. 

Once someone posts a topic, there is a tendency to denigrate the topic or the person who posted it and often the actual subject matter of the post isn’t discussed, threads get hijacked and the original intent of the post is lost.

If I were to pick out what I would consider the 2 worst offenders in that regard they would be you Klon and BS.

OK there I’ve really done it now.  Let me know if I’m wrong and if so I may issue yet another apology, but thats kinda the way I’ve seen it for the past 2 years at least.

Lord, I apologize for that there, and…be with the pygmies in New Guinea, amen

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-18

Its not offensive to me.  They are having a great season and deserve everything that comes to them at SEASONS END.  I was simply pointing out that there is a lot of football left to be played and that anything can happen.  If you main objective is to see the Big 12 Trophy it will more then likely be in Manhattan for the Texas game.  Unless they lose two out their next 3 and for sure wont be there if they lose 3 of 3(I dont see that happening). 

I wonder if the Heisman will be awarded to Collin on the same day?

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

Sadly,  Collin will have to wait until the 2nd week in December to break the Purple Glass ceiling. (If it is to be broken this year)

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-18

But why?  He already has won it hasn’t he?

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

Nice try, but no.  K State can win the Big 12, go Undefeated and end up ranked #1 in the BCS and the Heisman could still go to Geno Smith.  There is no math involved in the Heisman.  It is a beauty pageant.  The Big 12 Championship is not.

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I agree Gray.  It is a beauty contest….the winner is the flashiest.  Right now though, I think it is Klein’s to lose.  If he remains consistent, I think he will get it.  He is pretty flashy.

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

What flies under the radar, and you are starting to here more and more mention of it,  K State is more like the SEC teams than the Big 12 teams, in that the game doesn’t rise and fall on the passing attack.  Sound fundamental football at every position in each phase of the game, personal discipline (low penalty count, low turnover count) and the commitment to a running/ball control/clock management offense make for a winning formula.

I think K State can compete with any SEC team.  I’m not going out on a limb and say they wold beat any SEC team, but it is,  in many respects the same team that played in the Cotton Bowl against a very good Arkansas team last year, and now they have 1 more year of experience.

Collin Klein in many respects presents some of the same pros and cons as Tim Tebow.  You know when the game is on the line and you are on the 1 yard line down 5 less than a minute to play, you want Collin Klein at Quarterback, not Geno Smith, not Matt Barkley, not Denard Robinson not Landry Jones (Competition Alert:  same scenario 3 more years of Blake Bell).

As we have all seen, if the Heisman were handed out earlier in the year the results would not necessarily be the same as they are in Mid December.

Yes Collin Klein is looking very good right now and Geno Smith has taken a hit by way of two devastating losses to Tech and K State.  However.  the closer we get to Mid December we are getting closer to another event, the NFL draft. 

Suddenly in Mid December when the focus should be on College Football some of the College Football Voters turn their gaze to the NFL draft and unfortunately for Collin Klein that is not a good thing because of all that has gone on surrounding Tim Tebow following his Heisman award and subsequent lackluster performance in the NFL.

I don’t know but I imagine that if the Heisman voters think on that one too much instead of focusing on the actual criteria for the award, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Seth Doege are very much in the mix.  And one can never underestimated the media love fest with all things Notre Dame.  Even though the probability of a linebacker winning the Heisman is naturally low, toss in a Notre Dame Linebacker and the built in PR machine the media is running for him and who knows???

As of right now while Collin Klein is the acknowledged front runner.  In reality he is only slightly closer to it than Geno Smith was 3 weeks ago.

Posted: 09 November 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

It was a week ago when I wrote the previous comment.  I see an article today that pretty much echos this: 

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2012/11/fox-analyst-charles-davis-on-the-determining-variable-for-tcu-v-kstate.html

The Big Mac Blog: Is there any team that can beat Alabama?

Charles Davis: I think Kansas State can. I think they play closer to an SEC style of football than the other undefeated teams. Oregon I think could do this. They don’t make mistakes that is the key because Alabama is going to hop on mistakes.
Go back and look at the title game between Auburn and Oregon; that game was much closer. Go look at all of the SEC wins in the BCS title game and it’s not like the SEC team was just blowing out everyone. This is closer than people think.

< 1 2
2 of 2

‹‹ T-shirts      Heisman talk... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.