1 2 > 
1 of 2
Big 12 Football Championship Presentation
Posted: 31 October 2012 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-10-28

Back when the Big 12 announced that K State would be playing Texas December 1st on what is Championship Weekend for all of the 2 division conferences, I suspected that K State vs Texas might very well decide the Big 12 championship. So I purchased tickets and Air Fare.  (Phoenix) 

I had hoped that following the K State vs Texas game I would get an additional thrill by seeing the presentation of the Big 12 Football Championship Trophy.
Last year was the first year the Big 12 Championship was decided without a Championship Game.  Oklahoma State did not win the championship until the last game and received the Championship Trophy following the game.

This year K State may win the championship prior to the Texas game…

SO,  does anyone know at what point the Big 12 will award the Championship Trophy?  I’ve been Googling as best I can but I can’t find any information on it.

Logic seems to indicate that it would be presented after the last game, but for those who have to travel to see the big event it would be nice to know what circumstances will trigger the award so we can plan accordingly…

And does anyone know who put out the “Stand Up For The Champions Video” in 2003?  Is there going to be an update/remake for 2012?
http://youtu.be/WskyXvn17J0

Posted: 31 October 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-10-18

Lots of football left to play….think you might be getting ahead of yourself.

Posted: 31 October 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

I doubt it.

Posted: 01 November 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

Gray you might not get a whole lot of responses and most fans I know tend to agree with Klone.  No need to claim a championship with 4 games still to play.  I almost feel like you are jinxing us already!

Posted: 01 November 2012 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

I certainly won’t get many responses worth reading, but I am only looking for one that answers my question.  How absolutely typical of this forum that most people will read it and not repsond as I would expect because probably no one has the information I am looking for but it is amazing how some people who have no valuable information to contribute to the question asked,  feel compelled to toss in their opinions that are absolutely worthless to the topic posted.

#1 K State will win the 2012 Big 12 Football Championship, f that there is no doubt.

#2 being Jinxed or not I’m pretty sure will not be a factor in K State’s game day preparation and what you or I have to say is probably not going to be a factor in whether they win or lose.  I suspect they will put their ability and preparation above what we have to say as the determining factor of winning or losing.

But these two responses seem typical of the caliber of discussion available in this forum.  There are really three kinds of people in the world in any walk of life, those who lead, those who follow and those who need to get out of the way.  You guys sound like you are firmly entrenched in group #3.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 01 November 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
Why so condescending?  There is only one person who can answer your question.  If you can afford to fly to the game, surely you can afford a phone call to the Big “12” Commissioner.  Just tell him who you are and that you demand a straight answer.  While you are on the phone, just tell him to have the trophy already engraved before the game starts.  That will save time.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

OK so I did call the Big 12 and as best as I can describe it here is the policy:

If the Championship is won at an away site, the trophy is awarded at that location only if the Champions have no remaining home games.

If the Chapions have home game(s) remaining the Trophy may be awarded at the next home game of the Champions or at another time and place determined by the Champions.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

There you go again.  Please explain why my response to you was not intelligent.  I told you to call the damned commissioner who is the only person who can answer your question.  How in the Hell would you expect any of us to know when and where this trophy will be presented?
By the way, if you can fly to Manhattan today, you can have your picture taken with the Dr Pepper National Championship trophy.  A bit presumptuous I think, at this point in the season, but, what the heck?  At least your fandom will be secure.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-11

Thanks Michael… I mean why wait till the Texas game since there is no doubt, present the trophy this weekend to us against OSU!

Gray lets think about this logically.  Mathematically someone else can win the Big 12 championship at this point in the season so with that in mind you answer your own questions. 

Why would the Big 12 make plans to present a trophy when they aren’t sure who that trophy should go to?  Once it is assured that the Kats will in no doubt win the Big 12 I’m sure at that point plans will be made and released so that others will know.  Until that time we are all a bunch of forum trolls speculating on what could happen in the future.

And Gray I am a huge KSU supporter but I’m not stupid enough to believe that your first statement has any roots in reality.  Two HUGE examples should hit you right in the face, 1999 and 2003.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

My Apologies my response was hasty and not entirely thought out.  I was in the process of retracting it when you posted again.  Sorry.  I am just as prone to being an idiot as the other idiots I complain about.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

re 1999 and 2003 I completely understand the “don’t count your chickens before they hatch” concept,  However.  There is no Championship Game.  If K State defeats Oklahoma State it would take 2 losses to TCU, Baylor or Texas to lose the Championship. 

My purpose in posting this question in the first place was not to count chickens.  I am 2,000 miles away and while I already have planned to be at the Texas game, I would also like to attend a potential award of the Big 12 Championship if it was not going to be at the Texas game.

While it may be unreasonable to conclude K State will win a Championship prematurely, it is not entirely unreasonable to plan travel to attend such an event in the eventuality that it actually occurs.

And as anyone who has purchased airfare knows its very expensive and sometimes prohibitively so, to do it with little to no notice.

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Gray,
If KSU loses to OSU…God forbid…will you cancel your ticket?

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-11

Hey I can respect someone when they get to be an internet cowboy!  We’ve all been there and done that.

To answer your initial question I’m guessing you might find some rumblings about the presentation of a trophy in 2 weeks.  Just to many other big games to be played, and by that time KSU will have dispatched 2 more potential hurdles!

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Or not.

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-28

If KSU loses to OSU…God forbid…will you cancel your ticket?

No, not on your life I have never been able to make it to a Texas game, wouldn’t miss it.

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Good for you.  A true fan.  I used to be one too….until the KSU fans started turning ugly.  In the seventies, we didn’t win much, but the fans always had fun attending the games.  I remember taking the Kite’s bus to the games, courtesy of Terry Ray who was a friend of mine.  After they started winning big, the attitude of the fans changed.  The AD at the time, removed student seating because they refused to support a fee to build luxury boxes.  He also insisted that long time seat holders pony up more money to keep their reserved seats.  This began to turn me off towards the program.  KSU is no different from Alabama….except, if they should make it to that match, they will be turned every which way but loose.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ T-shirts      Heisman talk... ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.