Reading between the Twitter Lines.
Posted: 13 July 2014 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2012-10-28

So by now everyone knows of the twitter heard round the FBS, in which John Currie and Scott Stricklin of Mississippii State apparently agreed to an 18 & 19 Home and Home series.

Stricklin:  In his #Chillin4Charity video @John_Currie invites @HailStateFB to play at K-State. ‘16 in Manhattan, ’17 in Starkville? #HailState

Currie:  Already got some stuff working then - how about ‘18 MHK, ‘19 Starkvegas?

So.  With all of the Power 5 Schools scrambling to put at least one P5 OOC game on the schedule each year (K State does not currently have one in 16 or 17)  and only a handful of P5 Schools left without an OOC P5 game the choices are very few.  Here is a list of the only P5 Schools (outside the Big 12) who do not currently have an OOC P5 game scheduled for 2016 and 2017:

Alabama -  (Not Happening)

Arizona -  Possible, but presumably would require the Arizona game to be in University of Phoenix Stadium in 2017.  (Arizona is hosting BYU at UoP Stadium in 2016)

Arkansas  - (I may be in a crowd of 1, but I think this would make a very good non conference rivalry worth playing every year).

Auburn - Been there
BC -  Can’t see it
Miami - Been there
Miss St - Probably one of the best options out there but Currie is putting them off (until 18/19)  presumably for someone else on this list

Mizzou

NC State -  Can’t see it
Syracuse - Can’t see it
Utah - Can’t see it
Washington St -Can’t see it

My guess is that Currie is either working on Mizzou or Arkansas.  I suspect that Mizzou is going to try to re-engage with KU. But Mizzou would be good if it came to that.

What I really suspect is going on (and I have no more insight than the man in the moon) K State is working on Arkansas.  It would be good for both fan bases as a home and home series.  With I-49 now complete all the way from Fayetteville to Kansas City, the average lead foot can probably make the drive in 4 1/2 hrs.  Then there is the little matter of the Arkansas Head Football Coach Bret Bielema, who was a Defensive Coordinator for K State when K State won its first Big 12 Championship.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.