In the Year 2025 (if man is still alive)
Posted: 02 July 2014 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2012-10-28

This is a fictitious account of an event that may or may not take place in the not too distant future….

The scene is an Airport Bar at KCI.  Mike Slive (SEC Commissioner) and Larry Scott (PAC 12 Commissioner) cross paths while changing planes and end up having “an adult beverage” together.  The conversation turns to the art of the possible.

Scott: “Mike if you could add any schools/teams you wanted to the SEC who would you pick”?

Slive:  “Well Larry you know Notre Dame is a no brainer, but we see no scenario in which that is possible.  Short of that we’d kinda like to have Oklahoma AND/OR Texas.  How about you Larry, any expansion dreams left unfulfilled”?

Scott:  “Well you know I would like to get to 16 for a whole host of reasons but the only way we see that happening is adding 4 Big 12 Schools and with GOR and exit fees, just doesn’t seem possible”

Slive:  “Yeah Bob has the Big 12 locked up pretty tight with GORs and exit fees, seems like the only way its possible is if the big 12 decides on its own to dissolve itself”

Scott:  “Yeah, well I don’t see that happening”

Slive “Oh, Come On Larry, where is your sense of imagination, your sense of adventure…let me give you a little hypothetical… Lets just say, four Big 12 member schools get and invitation to join the PAC 12 and lets just day that two Big 12 members get an invitation to join the SEC and both of these sets of invitations are contingent upon the dissolution of the big 12.  LETS JUST SAY These six schools then decide to vote the Big 12 into dissolution.  IT COULD HAPPEN.

Scott:  “Well then we are both looking at the only piece of pie left in the tin and we can’t both have it”

Slive:  “Perhaps, but we would both need to agree to slice that final piece of pie very carefully”  One wrong move, one premature press release and its down the Insinkerator”

Scott:  “Ok so we need four,  you need two,  We need Texas or Oklahoma and are flexible on a second choice.  How about you”

Slive “Ideally we would like Texas AND Oklahoma, but we could live with either”

Scott “So lets say for the sake of this little exercise that we were to make similar offers to both Oklahoma and Texas at the same time”  Their choice one of them goes east one goes west,  so then your second choice would be?”

Slive “If we got a yes from Texas ,  our 2nd choice would likely be Baylor, If we got a Yes from Oklahoma then our second choice would likely be Oklahoma State.  What are your thought on four”

Scott: “I could see our four as Texas, Baylor, Kansas and Kansas State or   Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State”

Slive:  “So six Big 12 members with open invitations, and with the 6 votes necessary to dissolve the Big 12, all six would have to jump at the same moment or it couldn’t happen”

Scott:  “So we are both on the same sheet of music”?

Slice”  “Larry, we are ALL on the same sheet of music, Castiglione, Currie, Holder,  Patterson,  McCaw,Zenger…this isn’t the first time I’ve had this conversation…..”

##############################################################################################################

So if Bob Bowlsby and any Big 12 member school not named Oklahoma or Texas can’t see an immediate need to expand, this is it.  Adding two schools raises the dissolution vote requirement to 7.  Between the SEC and the PAC 12 there aren’t 7 seats available…

So the Big 12 adds ECU and Memphis (names are not relevant numbers are)  The dissolution is voted down by would be orphans Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Memphis and ECU and even that is to close for comfort.  Four more would be bullet proof.

AND Yes, I do have entirely too much time on my hands, thank you very much.

Posted: 04 July 2014 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2013-07-13

You forgot ESPN.  They drove all that crap of the past few years.  THEY tried to destroy the Big 12.  They failed.

Posted: 04 July 2014 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2012-10-28

Upon further research (having read the Big 12 by laws) I find that the scenario I have described above is not really possible after all.  Apparently when the Big 12 by laws were written in 2012 this kind of scenario had been thought through by the Big 12’s legal beagles.

In order for the big 12 to make a change to the membership structure requires a super majority (75%) vote of disinterested parties… Meaning if 6 members wanted to dissolve the conference, it would require the approval of 3 of the 4 members who did not want to dissolve the conference.

So how do these 6 schools get out of the Big 12?  GOR and Media contracts expired in 2025.  All these 6 schools need to do is let the GOR expire and vote down any media contracts that would keep the conference revenue above ZERO after 2025. 

Big 12 exit fees are based on conference revenue, if conference revenue is ZERO, exit fees are ZERO no matter if its with 2 years notice or 2 minutes notice.

So my theory, that the Big 12 needs to expand to stay together past 2025 is shot to HE!! , but the very real possibility of the big 12 dissolving in 2025 will still be there in 2025, unless GORs are extended, and that does not seem likely until a new media contract is in place (2026)

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.