Floating… a double standard????
Posted: 27 October 2012 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

There is a ballot question, whereby the wealthier want those barely getting by to give them tax relief… on their luxuries.  Those that can afford boats, suggest they shouldn’t have to pay taxes on them.  A vote “Yes” means you will end up paying more personal property tax on your automobiles, since you will need to make up for what boat owners are now paying.  Bad ballot question put forth by those that “can” to get financial assistance from those who “can’t”.  But…

The “I Wonder” column says the County didn’t want to ‘splain this ballot issue and “influence” the election.  What???  They spend taxpayer dollars going all over the County telling… demanding that folks vote for the new sales tax.  Yet, they don’t want to tell us that if the other referendum passes more of those eeking by will dig deeper to benefit those living the ‘good life’.  I guess too many of the Chamber of Commerce Board must own boats and, goodness, we wouldn’t want to step on the toes of those we tee it up with at the Country Club…..

Vote “NO!” on both of the tax referendums on the ballot!!  If either pass, those who can least afford it will pay more in taxes!!!!

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry;  I bought an old steel row boat for $10 at a yard sale in 1979.  I put a 90 dollar trolling motor on it, resulting in a requirement to register the boat with KDWPT - Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism.  KDWPT gives the info to the County, so they send me a property tax notice on that old boat each year.  So the truth of the matter is that if you have a boat in Kansas and it is powered by wind or some form of motor you have to register and you do get taxed.  This ballot item is not about taxing of boats but how boats are taxed.  It is an amendment to the State Constitution. 

The amendment would allow lawmakers – after January 2013 – to classify and tax watercraft on a basis different from other property. The amendment would not directly change how watercraft are taxed; rather, it is a required first step before legislators can make changes in the future.

A YES vote for the proposition would allow the legislature to separately classify and tax watercraft or to exempt watercraft from property taxes. A NO vote on the proposition would not change the way watercraft are taxed.
I do think a yes vote might result in all boats being taxed, including those that you currently do not have to register as they are not motor or wind powered.  I can use my row boat without the motor and without a registration number and it is then not on the property rolls.  On the other hand the website referenced below says that many folks are registering boats outside the state to avoid our high property tax on boats.  By the way my tax on the $10 dollar boat is zero each year, but I still have to send in the form.

The funds gained from taxing boats goes to the County not the State.  The following one page website contains some good facts about the tax change:  http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Boating/BALLOT-QUESTION-GIVES-VOTERS-SAY-ON-KANSAS-BOAT-TAXES

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

You won’t stop the folks who register large boats outside the state.  I can point you to a number of large 5th wheel campers with South Dakota tags and their owenrs live in Kansas.  You can get a post office box in South Dakota, register a boat or camper there, and pay no personal property tax.  There are always some who will ‘skate’ the law.

I get miffed due to an invasion of privacy… and assumption made by the Riley County Treasurer.  People can purchase a golf cart, keep it in their garage, and tow it to a course and the County never knows the difference.  Rent a cart shed at the local course and the County requires the golf course to report each and every cart stored there so they can send the owner a property tax statement.  Why should the County be able to require a golf course to do the reporting?  Shouldn’t that be between the cart owner and the County?? 

If the State wants to change how they tax boats, campers, golf karts, dirt bikes, etc., so be it.  I just have problems with them changing a single item, which makes it appear this is all the result of a special favor for some political croney.

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I guess I am a bit more trusting or optimistic.  You infer that it is being changed as some favor for a political crony, but we do not have any hard data to support that belief.  I agree that changing the procedure may not stop any one from engaging in the favorite American past time of avoiding taxes.  But as I read the intent of this thing it is to change the way boats are taxed so they are not on the same role as property tax.  The intend seems to be to lower the rate so people pay less and also maybe do not go out of their way to register in another state.  Not sure how I am going to vote on this one.  On a personal level it has little or no impact on my $10 row boat.  On the other hand I thought about purchase of a Kayak.  If theyI end up taxing Kayak’s it may cause me to skip that purchase.  Why buy a 400-800 dollar Kayak only to get taxed on it each year?  This vote will only give the legislature the ability to change the taxing, what they come up with is a guess. I have not seen a detailed concept.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.