Between somewhere down 24 toward Wamego and somewhere past Seth Childs toward Ogden,there is one, (1), ONE! 
Posted: 11 May 2014 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

single solitary street that crosses the railroad tracks without crossing gates and lights.  15th street ends with a small gravel strip to a single residence, but the city SIGN says “dead-end street” not “private drive”.

This makes the LIE of the statement that costly improvements would have to be made to get the train engineer to lay off his horn all the way through town.  There’s no cause for him to be doing it now.  A single light/gate unit.  Why hasn’t one ever been placed at the end of 15th?  Does the city have some reason for withholding the gate from this single street?  What possible function could be served by not providing those citizens living at the end of 15th street the same basic safety afforded the rest of the residents of Manhattan?  How could anyone object to a cessation of these all-through-the-night miles-long horn blasts?

Will the Republican Chamber of Commerce or Wynn’s PAC create a “Save the Horns” fundraiser arm?  Will Wynny Kaw pronounce that only LIBS are light sleepers?  There must be SOME reason.  I just can’t for the life of me figure out what it would be.

Posted: 12 May 2014 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

I have researched the quiet-zone requirements of the governing authorities.  Even if this is a private crossing, a gated light at this crossing would fulfill the requirement for a quiet-zone designation for the entire traverse of Manhattan.

Section III.  New Quiet Zones   http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L03055

Posted: 13 May 2014 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Wrote an email to every commissioner.  Included a request for fair and equitable fees for the private Marlins swim club.  Crickets.

Posted: 13 May 2014 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall… Citizens south of Colorado are not socially and politically connected.  They are not members of the Chamber.  Don’t get your hopes up that anything will be considered as far as quieting the train whistles.  After all, to those who live in the northwest area of Manhattan the train whistles in the distance “add ambience”.  Those of “importance” are far more worried about the kids living in Wamego and Timber Creek having places for private traveling teams to play sports and a City Park Pool where their kids can enjoy recognition as members of The Marlins. 
Interesting that CBDG funds specifically designed for improving the quality of life in neighborhoods populated by lower income could have been used for whatever cost is associated with improvements required to eliminate the train whistles.  Instead, those funds are being used for better access to Aggieville.

Posted: 13 May 2014 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall, we have 5 City Commissioners.  Only one of those five lives east of Browning and south of Anderson.  Four of the five live in the far northwest sector of Manhattan.

There has been discussion, in the past, about breaking the City into wards.  Have the City divided into 4 or 5 wards, geographically.  Either have all 5 from different areas of the City, or have 4 from different areas and one “at large” position.  The last reports I read were that it takes between $15,000 and $20,000 to successfully run for City Commission.  That takes quite a bit of “pocket change” on the part of a candidate… or pretty big pockets for the campaign contributors.  With the current geographical demographics of the City Commission, it’s probably time to see if there is interest in breaking the City into wards.  Getting that accomplished will be a difficult task.  You will find resistance with the monied in town and from the Chamber… the “shadow government”.  Those politically and socially connected will want the power to remain in the northwest area.

Posted: 13 May 2014 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

It doesn’t matter where they live, Larry.  It’s about making Manhattan a nicer place to live (and sleep), for next to no money. The motels out near the tracks would jump at this prospect.  The people who live anywhere south of the KSU campus will appreciate this.  The people who live on the only unprotected crossing in the city will appreciate this (except that it would deny them the opportunity for a killer platinum lawsuit, should they ever lose a loved one to the train crossing). 

This is a no-brainer.  Which explains why I’ve heard NOTHING from a single commissioner in response to my emails.  I can almost smell the belts burning as they try to form an argument against this simple process to eliminate the nightly cacophonies.

Posted: 14 May 2014 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

I guess the “email” and “personal conversation” majority that Wynn keeps throwing up to justify his 3-million dollar pork packet for the city offices come with some kind of filter or one-way ratchet in when he only sees what he wants to see.

Still crickets re my two emails to the city commission.  Whassamatta, Wynn?  Is this too difficult a topic for a response?

Posted: 14 May 2014 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall:  I did not get your emails.  I would for sure have noticed them.  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) would be my email address, please retransmit if possible.  The train whistles are something that would cause an issue at a few of the hotels.  I know that at one of the coordination meetings for the commission agenda – maybe three weeks ago the topic of the crossings was mentioned by a couple of city staff members.  They may have gotten your email.  I know that during the discussion the cost of installing gates was mentioned and it involved more than one street.  But the entire concept merits a revisit, in spite of the possible loss of the ambiance forthose evil west side dwellers.

Posted: 14 May 2014 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Wynn, there’s only one crossing unprotected by gates and lights.  I was riding my bike around and decided to check it out.  The link above (section 3) describes a very simple process for designation as a quiet zone, and this single gate and an inspection of the zone are all that stand between Manhattan residents and the glory of a full night’s sleep in the cool Kansas breezes.

Thank you for responding.  I’ll resend to the other commissioners as well.

The west-siders will just have to be happy with the ambiance of coyote howls and the staccato of nail guns echoing down the flint-crusted vales from McMansion construction on high.

Horns.  Not whistles.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.