General Sports Forum For Michael.
Posted: 01 May 2014 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2013-07-13

The General Sport is:

Bicycling.  Manhattan is a better biking town than any I’ve ever seen.  Tree-lined side streets filled with cautious drivers due to the poor street conditions ... which are actually a boon to bikers because it’s so easy to circumvent the patches and potholes, while cars are forced to slow down to prevent shaking off pieces.  On other streets it’s because the streets are squeezed into a single lane by the giant pick-ups and trucks lining both sides, and it’s impossible to view side traffic so cars are forces to sort of… leak… into the intersections, hoping against hope that Cody or Ashley doesn’t have the nose buried in the phone. 

Anyway, it makes for great street biking. Downtown streets are wide and inhabited by patient people.  Great bike store down there, by the way.  Pathfinders.  Also carries kayaks, climbing gear, mountain/backpacking gear, and much more. 

There are mostly flat routes to every corner of town, and no limits east of Tuttle Creek Blvd.  The river valley has trails or lightly traveled pavement all along the river in both directions. The Linear Trail has side paths that wind through the trees along the river and off into the flood plains, and though it’s currently detoured due to a construction project, it’s possible to bike to the Little Grill for Jamaican food and draft beer.  Talk about a pleasant ride home!

Anyway, I guess this qualifies as a sport, though I can’t say I’ve broken much of a sweat yet.  Hope to see you out there.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.