‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4
Top 10 most exciting small cities in America
Posted: 09 May 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

No, one certainly doesn’t. I remember back when…we had a large summer theatre group there that put on several productions in the pre-renovated Convention Hall.  I think they charged us $10 a day for the use of that huge facility.

Posted: 09 May 2014 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
Probably the most boring town of any size that one could grow up in. It has changed considerably and appears to be much larger than manhattan, while it is actually smaller. They even have a Red Lobster, and a renovated Fox Theatre downtown along with many fine restaurants.
When I was growing up there were only a few….Skaets was my favorite…and it is still there.

Posted: 09 May 2014 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

Having spent little time there, I won’t argue with you.. but, it’s the general consensus that Topeka holds the title of which you speak.

Posted: 09 May 2014 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

I’d be willing to wager that Hutch has Topeka beat in terms of “most boring.”

Posted: 10 May 2014 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

If Hadley left Hutch for Leonardville, that certainly doesn’t bode well for the ‘non-boringness’ of Hutch!!  :>)

Posted: 10 May 2014 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I left Hutchinson when I was seventeen. I returned for a couple of Christmases. When my parents moved to a retirement community in Arkansas, there was no further reason to visit. I have been back since then, only three times…all funerals.

I left MANHATTAN for Leonardville.

Posted: 10 May 2014 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

I have found that once people leave Hutchinson they rarely return.  I left Hutchinson when I was 20 and returned to visit my parents when they still lived there, to attend our 10-year high school class reunion (one high school reunion was enough to last me the rest of my life), and on occasion to go to the State Fair but only to staff tables for causes I support, not because I was interested in going to the Fair.

Posted: 10 May 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Deb,
As you well know, Hutchinson is a boring town. It has improved since you and I were there, but I still have friends and family there and they maintain it is as boring as it ever was. The expansion of the town is quite similar to the path Manhattan has chosen…tons of junk food places like Olive Garden and the lot of them.
Most of this expansion has occured on the east side which was prairie land when we lived there.

I think Carl’s Bar is still there, however. They tore down the Bisonte…a real manhattan move.

Posted: 10 May 2014 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

I guess “improved” is in the eye of the beholder.  I too still have family and friends there (just not my parents).  For awhile it looked as if things might be getting better in Hutchinson, but I think it’s actually gotten worse in the last five years.  Yes, Carl’s Bar is still there as is Anchor Inn, but beyond those two landmarks there’s really not much else.  While interesting, you can only need to go to the salt mines and Cosmosphere once.  I will say, though, that I am always impressed that Hutchinson’s annual United Way campaign nets nearly four times more money than ours does.  Maybe they are able to secure more corporate donations than we can, but aside from Kroger’s/Dillon’s and Siemens, there’s really not else there in the way of industry.

Posted: 14 May 2014 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Seriously, the salt mines, Cosmosphere, state fair and Fox Theater alone make it more exciting than Topeka. Unless I’m woefully uninformed, there is very little to do in Topeka, no more than here in Manhattan.

Posted: 14 May 2014 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

I’m always reminded of that line from the movie “Failsafe” in which someone hijacks a nuke-armed b-52 and holds the nation for ransom. 

“I’m flying over Topeka, Kansas right now.  I could drop it here, except no one would notice.”

Personally, I think Manhattan has as much going for it as any town/city in Kansas, including the KC burbs, mostly thanks to the university. They book great touring entertainment and bring a diversity of interests and cultures to town through their enrollment.  It’s only natural that some stay on and make Manhattan their home.  We have local theater, music, and arts that rival what I saw around D.C.  Not in volume, but certainly in quality.  The downtown area has really improved, and that improvement is starting to spread to the side streets.  Even Aggieville is nicer, though the annual pukefest is a quick dip in the septic tank. 

There’s some big money coming in from someplace though.  I worry that Manhattan is leaning toward a “growth built on growth” model that created the bubbles from which the entire state of Florida and Las Vegas (for instance) are STILL trying to recover. The strip malls, the glut of new apartment buildings around campus and the building frenzy of MASSIVE houses in the Flint Hills around Colbert are indicators I’ve seen before… on BOTH coasts.

Posted: 14 May 2014 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

Topeka’s Performing Arts Center is doing a pretty good job of bringing in notable performances as is the Stiefel Theater in Salina.  The Wareham is trying to do the same here in Manhattan, but will always be limited because the fixed seating was removed eons ago.

‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.