What the hell?
Posted: 26 April 2014 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

I saw a pickup yesterday flying a large American flag alongside a Confederate flag of the same size in the truck bed.  Bluemont roundabout.  Kansas is being invaded by immigrants all right… all the half-wit inbreds from Mississippi.  It’s getting to be like a Duck Dynasty Look-alike pageant every day, all over Kansas.

Goes right along with those “Don’t renig, nobama” bumper stickers I saw when I first moved back Sept. 2012.  Has Kansas always been this racist? I don’t think so, but then, I was gone a long time.

[ Edited: 26 April 2014 08:30 AM by Randall Baughman ]

Posted: 26 April 2014 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Yes, Randall, much of Kansas still lives pre-1964.  A steady diet of Fox News, Limbaugh, Brownback… and a former Manhattan Mayor who said our community had “too much diversity”... are not things to be proud of.  This past couple of weeks, we have seen the conservatives rally behind the Nevada cattle rancher.  He says blacks should still be slaves.  And, yet, hundreds showed up with guns and ammo to keep his cattle grazing on land that does not belong to him. 
I work a lot in rural Kansas communities.  It is amazing what can be overhead at coffee shops in these small towns, about race.  And… I’m not so sure you couldn’t hear similar conversations in Manhattan.

Posted: 30 April 2014 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

It’s gotten worse the last few years. Well, let me rephrase: It got better in the 1990s for a while, then got worse again last decade. I’m not joking when I say about 10 years ago, I was in the middle of a bunch of middle aged and older people in Wamego, all Republicans, scoffing at the very idea of Brownback ever being governor. If you look at voting stats, some counties in Kansas were pretty close in the 2008 elections; Riley was 46% Obama 49% McCain if I recall (I can’t find the results online right now). But things started going more conservative after 9/11, and once Obama was elected, all hell broke loose.

I remember going to a grief counselor after mom died and he gave me sh-t three appointments in a row because I voted for Obama. My grief counselor. That is some messed up sh-t right there, and that’s the kind of crazy that’s become old hat nowadays. Confederate Flag Dude is pretty tame, considering.

I really don’t know why you moved back here. You escaped once, Randall.

Posted: 30 April 2014 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

That is some messed up sht.  One of the stages of grief being rage, you could have flattened his nose for him as a matter of course.

I moved back because the high plains are in my blood.  I love Kansas.  But, partly because it’s NOT Mississippi… or at least, it wasn’t when I was last here.

Anyway, I’m really enjoying being back in Manhattan too.  Bought a house.  I’m here to stay for a while.

While we’re on the subject, are there any steps that the city could take that would eliminate the need for that feckin’ TRAIN ENGINEER TO BLAST HIS HORN ALL THE WAY THROUGH TOWN EVERY FEW HOURS FROM DUSK TIL DAWN?  You know, instead of tearing down historic buildings, maybe eliminate this antiquated pain-in-the-ass requirement so that those of us who live in the old sections of town could sleep through the night?

[ Edited: 30 April 2014 09:56 AM by Randall Baughman ]

Posted: 30 April 2014 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
I am disappointed. I visualized you in Colbert Hills. Now I find that you live in the old section of town. What’s up with that? None of those places have wine cellars or seven bathrooms (except for the houses that have been converted to seven apartments).

Posted: 30 April 2014 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Michael, the wine cellar I built myself.  I’ll do the same in my new house, if I can find a spot. 

7 bathrooms and 2 half-baths, Michael.  I happily gave those up for my freedom.  Doesn’t that make me a PATRIOT?

Oh, and I’ll be enjoying the only good part of Colbert Hills frequently.  You can count on that.

[ Edited: 30 April 2014 10:17 AM by Randall Baughman ]

Posted: 30 April 2014 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

The Train Whistle is a safety requirement.  That was a topic at one of the meetings a couple of months ago.  The way to eliminate or reduce is to install gate crossings with lights, very expensive.  Maybe folks close in would vote for a benefit district?  Any crossing without the gate arms requires the savage horn blasts.  I hear them every night, they are part of the ambience of the city.

Posted: 01 May 2014 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Yes.  Ambiance.  Good one.  I’m aware of it’s origin, and the fix required.  The number of roads/streets crossing those tracks does not, in any way, match the length and frequency of the cacophony.  I can’t imagine that some crossing lights/arms would be that expensive.  But, you know, it IS the south side of town.  We probably spend enough money down there already, don’t we?

There have been amazing leaps in technology in the last century too.  I’m almost positive there is a volume-regulating feature available for these electric horns.  Perhaps a request to the railroad?

What’s your take on the blatant racism exposing itself lately, Wynn?  The most public examples coming from members of your teaparty.  1st amendment?  Nothing to see here?

[ Edited: 01 May 2014 06:27 AM by Randall Baughman ]

Posted: 02 May 2014 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I live about a block and a half from the tracks and I got used to the horns pretty quickly. Same with emergency vehicles which are on FRB constantly; didn’t even hear the firetrucks when a house about a block away burned down. I have noticed that during every single thunderstorm, a train comes through, but maybe I notice it just because the rumbling makes me think “uh oh, tornado?” for a few seconds.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.