Our Alleged Post Office
Posted: 29 March 2014 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2012-10-10

What exactly is the purpose of the post office on Leavenworth nowadays? Over the last decade, nearly everything has been removed. No stamp machine, no way to print out package postage, and yesterday I discovered they had the package drop-offs boarded up like an abandoned home.

The only things you can do there anymore are get a P.O. box and send foreign mail, neither of which you can do anywhere else in town, but this place is clearly about to close down. So then what? If we want to send a letter to Canada, we’ll have to drive to a Topeka post office to do it, or something? I’m just trying to figure out why a post office that is so busy 30-40 people are lined up literally every time I go is actively reducing services.

Posted: 29 March 2014 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I suspect it is for the same reason that most other post offices are reducing services, including Topeka.
They just don’t have the business. E-mail is simpler and faster and there are private firms that will send packages cheaper. The post offices are rapidly joining the ranks of blacksmith shops.

Posted: 29 March 2014 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Sure, but it’s not a business, it’s the government, so it’s a bit of a different animal.

It seems ridiculous to do things like board up the package doors in the post office when they are still in the business of mailing packages. Same with the automatic stamp machine they used to have. These aren’t things that require a lot of labor or need to be monitored by an employee, they just sit there 24/7 in the lobby. Or at least they did for years and years, so why would they go to the time and effort to remove them, thus reducing their sales and relevance even more?

Posted: 29 March 2014 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I cannot explain the removal of the stamp machines, BUT, they are a business and are forced to compete with e-mail and private package services, and they simply can’t do it.
On another note, that location has been hazardous for years. I am surprised that there have not been thousands of doors ripped off of cars. The street is busy and not wide enough to accommodate that sort of traffic. I proposed that it be moved back in the seventies, and the situation has worsened.

It will probably emulate Topeka, and move to a strip mall.

Posted: 29 March 2014 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2013-07-13

Went in there day before yesterday.  One (1) person dealing with a long line.. and she appeared almost comatose.  No one in the passport office.  A man came out of the back and asked that I make an appointment… for some day in the future… for some time between 11 and 2:30.

I went to the KSU student union and dealt with someone who actually seemed to be awake.

Posted: 30 March 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I have friends in other countries and I have sold on eBay and Amazon and such for years, which has forced me to go to the post office on occasion, and nearly every time is horrible. Employees at the counter have called customers names, refused service with made-up “laws”, pretended like they didn’t know how to do something just so they didn’t have to. More than once I’ve seen the one person at the counter look at everyone, then walk off to the back of the building and leave absolutely no one at the counters helping customers.

My husband worked in the mail room at F*rm Bureau for years, and his horror stories of working with the P.O. are even worse than mine.

I just wish I understood why they won’t even accept packages or sell stamps in the lobby anymore. Unless my package fits in the mailbox or is a Priority package, they won’t pick it up, so now I have to go into a grocery store or something and wait in line just to hand someone a damn box. It’s stupid.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.