The old police station
Posted: 26 March 2014 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Here you go Randall…. a thread about what you want to talk about. This way, you won’t have to interject irrelevant comments on other topics.

Posted: 26 March 2014 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

Just yankin’ your chain, Michael.  In case you forgot, I owed you one.

Posted: 27 March 2014 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

But, notice too, Michael, that Wynn has disappeared.  Just like Bob always used to do.  Wynn is working feverishly behind closed doors to push through the destruction of this Memorial for his pal in the Parks and Recs.  Why?
Larry says it’s because of ego. Wynn is prepared to spend millions bastardizing a war memorial rather than admit he hasn’t expended any effort to find alternatives.  This is what “the staff” brought him, so, naturally, it’s the only course of action.

Posted: 27 March 2014 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall:  Various alternate plans for the Parks and Recreation Office will be discussed next month.  The City has plan A, B and C.  This includes the 600K plus that it would take to renovate the stage.  Michael did ask about can the old Police Building be used for Parks and Recreation.  The staff does not support that idea, and I am not sure what the cost would be to turn the Cells into office space.  It is an interesting concept and it has merit – especially as the space is currently pretty much useless.  This option D is not currently on the list of things to discuss next month. 
Back to the auditorium itself - The fact still remains that the building and stage are not and never have been a World War II memorial.  It is a stubborn thing but the plaque says:
This Building is dedicated to the memory of our early settlers whose vision, ideals and unity of purpose gave our city its enduring character . . . and to those patriotic citizens who sacrificed their lives so that American Democracy might be preserved. 

Posted: 27 March 2014 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Simply not true, Wynn.  According to the initial planning papers you (or someone) linked, the VETERANS selected the design AND the usage as part of their memorial.

but thank you, in advance, for looking into conversion of that beautiful stone structure on Juliette to a useful public purpose.  Preserving it in effect, for future Manhattanites.

It makes much more sense than bastardizing another already historic structure… a designated public use structure…  for city administration offices.

Posted: 27 March 2014 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I never said anything about the old police station. I merely set up this thread to keep Randall from interrupting other threads.
Now that I think of it, however, it is probably a good idea. If the P&R people are already in cells, that would save the cost of transporting them across town.

Posted: 28 March 2014 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I guess I made a false assumption. In either case the idea of using that building for P&R was of interest.  I did explore that with the Staff.  It will not work.  At present they are using most of it for storage.  The game plan seems to be to eventually tear it down and use the public square that it occupies as a park.

Posted: 28 March 2014 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

It will not work.  Tear it down.

Marvelous!  Creative!!  Great minds at work!!!

That’s SOME staff you’ve got there, Wynn.

That building takes up a small percentage of that “public square”, which could ALREADY be a park, if Parks and Recs did something with it.  But they haven’t.  There’s no reason to tear it down.  What would they do with the functioning adjacent building?  What would they do with the “stuff” that’s “being stored” in it?

Jesus, I wish we could get someone with a brain and some curiosity into the high-backs. 

It will not work.  Tear it down.

Why?

Because STAFF said so.

Ah-hyult! That’s good ‘nuff fer me!  Whars mah coffee?

Posted: 28 March 2014 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Forget it Randall. They are hell-bent on tearing down these old structures.
Look at the bright side. There will be a Chik-Fil-A in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby. That will be handy. They can do a bigot’s lunch together.

Posted: 28 March 2014 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

It’s a structurally solid work of craftsmanship and labor that builders today can only envy.  I guess that must be the driving force here.  If you can’t do it, teach it.  If you can’t teach it, criticize it.  When all else fails, tear it down so you don’t have to face your deficiencies whenever you drive by it.

It must be awful, all those reminders that you’ll never measure up to the parents and grandparents who raised you.

Posted: 28 March 2014 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

The first question is just who owns the old jail/sheriff’s office.  Wasn’t that a Riley County building when we had a Sheriff?  Is the building owned by the City or the County?

If the building is owned by the City:  Certain City Commissioners have decided the ONLY place to put P&R is at City Hall.  They have committed themselves to cutting staff and feel this is the way to do that.  Do whatever is necessary to put P&R at City Hall so we can cut a couple of Customer Service positions.  “Gubmint” is too big and we can pay for our niceities by sending a couple minimum wage employees home.  There is also the issue of the stage.  Too much ego at stake to pull back, now, from wanting to tear it out.  A line in the sand has been drawn.  P&R will go in City Hall.  The stage will be torn out and replaced with BB courts.  This deciision was made long ago and has simply been delayed.

If the building is owned by the County:  Now would be the perfect time to consolidate City and County Parks Departments.  The County shops north of town would have plenty of space for equipment parking and storage.  Administrative offices could be located in the old jail/Sheriff’s office.  The green space would lend itself to lots of recreation related activities.  The location would be handy for folks to find to register kids for P&R programs.  Again, won’t happen.  City Commissioners have their minds set on getting this deal done at City Hall and nothing will be allowed to derail that runaway train.

Posted: 28 March 2014 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 28 March 2014 03:26 PM

Look at the bright side. There will be a Chik-Fil-A in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby. That will be handy. They can do a bigot’s lunch together.

I encourage people who eat at Chick-Fil-A for political reasons to eat there every day. Maybe twice a day. Take some home! Enjoy it frequently, is what I’m saying here.

Posted: 28 March 2014 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Larry, as to registering kids for the P&R programs, it would also draw west-side people downtown, who otherwise never have reason to come.  The belligerent ignorance of this whole thing… the manager “wanting everyone close”, the bastardizing of a war memorial, the destruction of a historic, architectural gem.  It’s as if taking a blow from a sledge hammer to the forehead is a requirement for city government.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.