“Mommy, he’s pickin’ on me!!”  Waaahhhhh…..
Posted: 24 March 2014 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

So, the AV bar owners are upset when RCPD does their job for Faux Patty’s Day.  Drunks are arrested.  Fire codes re crowding are enforced.  DUI’s are written.  Lots of arrests, but the surrounding neighborhoods were kept safe and quiet.  Good job, RCPD!!!!!  But…

The bar owners don’t want enforcement.  They want the drunkfest to go unhampered by law enforcement.  So, they put together a group to lobby to have Director Schoen ousted and a politician installed to “protect and serve”.  A politician can be influenced with money, votes, social black-listing, etc.  That’s what they want… an open saloon atmosphere and only have a paddy wagon pass through, occasionally, to pick up the passed out and the dead.

Now the bar owners are whining that even after Faux Patty’s Day, RCPD dares enforce laws and ordinances.  Bar owners appealed to the Law Board saying, “They’re pickin’ on us!”  They are using the very tool they are lobbying for… politics.  The Law Board has elected officials serving on it.  The bar owners feel they can push those elected officials around, just as they would push around an elected Director position. 

Some are suggesting this is entirely about Obama and the gubmint is comin’ to take our guns and Director Schoen will side with the Feds and we need to elect a Tea Party radical to keep them thar Federal Agents outta Manhattan.  Well, it’s entirely about having a Chief Law Enforcement Officeer that can be influenced… bought.  That’s all. 

Personally, for my family’s safety and well being, I’ll take a professional like Director Schoen over some Limbaugh ditto-head any day.

Posted: 24 March 2014 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  717
Joined  2013-07-13

Couldn’t sponge enough money out of the students before they departed for Spring Break this year, apparently.  Has law enforcement really dampened the unbridled joy of the Pukefest?  Naw, just cut into the obscene profits that a full day and night of youthful binge drinking brings to these fine pillars of the Manhattan community.

Posted: 27 March 2014 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2012-10-10

I’m notoriously bitter but I noticed this year’s FPD was calm and reasonable as compared to previous years, and just knew AV businesses would complain about it. I didn’t know it would be in this way, or this quickly. Surely the big “problem” this year was that FPD wasn’t right before spring break as usual but instead when classes were still scheduled; though arrests went up this year to 86 people, remember that back in 2012 they arrested 90 people. If the bar owners are claiming RCPD is cracking down too hard on violations, they might want to actually check the statistics.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.