< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4
SPORTS
Posted: 14 March 2014 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  714
Joined  2013-07-13

Bobert, a FRIEND sent Samuels money.  This was not a booster or anyone connected to KSU.  Frank Martin said on national television that he sent money to former players because, “they didn’t have anyone else.”

Not to worry though.  Bill Self is lobbying for pay for college athletes. This year, he’ll put maybe two “freshmen” on a plane for the NBA the minute the NCAA tourney is finished.  In my day we didn’t call this kind of player a “student athlete”, we called them “ringers”.

This is the state of college basketball these days.  They have to play for free, for university and sport network profits, before they can go pro.

But thanks for making my point.  The NCAA went after USC LONG after Reggie Bush was gone. When an investigation is warranted, the NCAA investigates, no matter what actions an AD may take. It wasn’t the NCAA’s choice to wait to investigate Bush.  They investigated WHEN they found cause.  Using Samuels to run off Martin was spineless and greasy.  Nothing will change that fact.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I’m glad Frank never stooped to using “ringers”. By the way, what would you call Beasley?

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Did he leave after his freshman year?

Anyway, I agree about Beasley.  I lived in California during his stay here.  Saw him speak after a game.  He had no business being in college.  But, then, I recall seeing some Notre Dame linemen speak back in the days of great Irish football, and I said the same about them.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-29

If any of basketball players don’t want to play for free in college then they should go to the D league or Europe. You never really hear from them again if they try that way but they would be getting paid to play. I think it was Cuban that said it is better for a kid to learn in the D league he could be right.

If they are not getting anything from the college I will take all that free tuition money. I see college kids playing no matter what sport as their resume. It might not get you a job but you have something to show the bosses what you can do. If you are good enough without going the college way then wait your year or more that you have to be out of high school and try out for the pros then.

I think they should make a rule that if you go to college then you have to stay for 3 years. Transfer rules can still apply but if the coaches quit they have to sit out a year just like the kids. I think it would be better for both college and the pros. NBA is all about upside and not on what is on the court. Yes you have to be good but what if your peak is your freshman year then you get to a place where you are not the biggest or the most talented and you are just one in a crowd. I can not blame them for leaving college if someone offered me 15 million I would leave right then too.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

But, Bobert, when they come just for the basketball season, and say so UP FRONT, that makes them ringers, doesn’t it?

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Unless my memory is completely fogged, he most certainly did.
You can’t have it both ways, Randall. You cannot, on the one hand piously condemn the current state of collegiate basketball, and, in the same breath , praise Frank Martin who epitomizes everything that is wrong with it. I am not saying that Self or Weber or any other successful coaches are any different.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Frank Martin “epitomizes everything wrong”?  WHAAA? Anyway, I will say for the THIRD time on this thread, I’m not idolizing Frank Martin, only objecting to the greasy AD.  I just don’t want you to forget HOW he ran Frank off.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
I don’t think you understand that I don’t care HOW he ran Frank off. I am just happy that he did.
Granted, a blatant firing after the slugging incident would have been more satisfying, but we take what we can.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Well, then, I’m glad our greasy AD could accommodate you..

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I shall be ever grateful to the greasy AD(is there any other kind of AD?).

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Oh, so now, they’re ALL like Currie?  Hogwash.  You just love him because he’ll eventually make KSU sports so mediocre that even the Horned Frogs can beat them.  I know where your loyalties lie, Michael.

Posted: 14 March 2014 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

They are all sleazy, overpaid fund raisers. It is the job description. Go Frogs!

Posted: 14 March 2014 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-29

Was it last year that KSU have 3 mens big 12 champ trophies? I would hate to have that on my watch.

Posted: 14 March 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

right… with teams put together before Currie glided in on his mucus.  See, I know where YOUR loyalties lie, too, Bobert.

Posted: 14 March 2014 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

Randall, surely you’re not giving Krause credit for the teams that won the Big 12 Championship trophies?

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.