< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
SPORTS
Posted: 12 March 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
I am certain that Frank did that. No doubt in my mind. Frank bent the rules as far as he could, and got away with it, as you point out. Now, had the lad been permitted to play, the NCAA might have become more interested. The “weasel” headed that off.
As you are an educated person, I simply don’t understand your affection for this thug.
From what I hear from my SC friends, he will be fired at the end of the season. As I said before, and I have no illusions about college athletics, had he been successful, they would put up with his antics. However, you cannot lose and behave like that. He should go to the AAU where they don’t care about image. Most universities at least attempt to portray themselves as having some degree of civility. Martin is a thug.
He needs to go coach in the ghettos from whence he came.

Posted: 12 March 2014 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

No, that’s simply not true, Michael.  The NCAA would have investigated REGARDLESS. That’s the lie in all of this.  That’s what those who lack the knowledge of the NCAA don’t get.

Weasel AD.  Nothing’s going to change that.  Mine is not loyalty to Frank, but a concern that, because this pencil-neck can raise lots of money, the fact that he is a spineless weasel will be ignored, to the detriment of our university athletics.  Much like your concern about winning coaches getting away with stuff.

What will happen at KSU is what happened at the last university this weasel inhabited.  Grand, illustrious buildings will be built.  Millions upon millions spent… while the actual athletic accomplishments slide into mediocrity.  He’s done it before.  One only needs to look at his past.

But, you’re right about one thing, Michael.  This weasel could NEVER be accused of being a “thug”.  There’s no back-stabbing, glad-handing, nor gliding around on a trail of slime in “thuggery” is there?

Posted: 12 March 2014 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

“gliding around on a trail of slime”????? Very poetic, Randall.
Would you consider the Prince affair as gliding?...or was it simply malfeasance?

Since when are you an expert on the NCAA’s policies? I wasn’t aware of your expertise in that area.
I say that they didn’t pursue the issue because it was minor and actions were taken against the lad.
Please show me where my opinion is inferior to yours. Are you inside the NCAA?
If I was the NCAA, I would have gone after Martin for that admission that he handed money to high school players.

Posted: 12 March 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

it’s not an opinion, Michael.  It’s a fact.  This is how the NCAA works.  If there is cause for investigation, they investigate.  Period.  No cause, no investigation.

I don’t know why you keep wanting to argue about all these other things.  Prince?  South Carolina? AAU?  They have nothing to do with this slimy AD, and his greasy running-off of a popular and successful coach at our alma mater. 

You COULD have posted about the Women’s BBall coach, if you wanted, and you wouldn’t have heard a peep from me.  But, you didn’t.  You wanted your post to crow about a weasel’s triumph by back-stabbing, hiding, and lying.  I won’t let that stand.  I REMEMBER, you see.

Posted: 12 March 2014 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
My original post WAS about the women’s BBall coach.
I only mentioned. martin as another good decision. The AAU is relevant because it defines the kind of recruits that Martin wanted. As for South Carolina…he has failed miserably…losing records. You don’t last long in the SEC with the records he has posted. I still don’t understand your allegiance to this jerk.

Well, at least we are talking sports again…:-)

Posted: 12 March 2014 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

Currie was not the athletic director at his last university University and cannot reasonably be given credit or blame for what happened in the athletic department during his time there.  I find Currie to be principled and willing to make tough decisions when those who came before him were not willing to do so.  He understands the role of a coach in a major university athletic program and understands the role of an athletic program in enhancing the reputation and prestige of the institution.

Posted: 12 March 2014 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Matter of opinion, I guess, Deb.  Fact is, the way he handled running Frank Martin off speaks volumes about him, and a distinct LACK of principle.  Wake Forest, Tennessee, Executive Associate AD=  “no credit or blame”?

Anyway, this is Michael’s fault.  He got me fired up.  I’m through dissing the AD, and I hope there’s never a reason to do it again.

Posted: 12 March 2014 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

Not sure I agree that is entirely a matter of opinion as I think there are some incontrovertible facts that can’t be ignored about Martin’s behavior.  To his credit, Currie never publicly disparaged Martin and he could have fired him and didn’t.  He gave him the opportunity to leave and I think THAT speaks volumes.

I think you’re right to blame Michael.  He should have known better than to bring up Martin.  ;-)

Posted: 12 March 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I am hanging my head in shame.

Posted: 12 March 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

You just don’t recall the sequence of events, Deb.  He did none of those things. 

Michael, I can hear you cackling all the way out here.

Hey, I’ll be pretty well a resident Manhattanite sometime in the next couple of weeks.  Let’s have coffee with Bob!

Posted: 12 March 2014 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

You’re on. let me know when you get back and we will meet early for coffee. OK if Bob, Deb, Larry, etal join us? maybe I can get Currie to drop in as well…:-)

Posted: 12 March 2014 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Yes, I was speaking to them as well.  You may invite the AD if you wish.  But, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to answer the questions I would be inclined to ask.

Posted: 12 March 2014 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-25

Randall, we’ll definitely have to compare notes to see who remembers what.

Posted: 13 March 2014 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
Don’t expect Currie. No one in that department/corporation even speaks to me. Way out of my income bracket.

Posted: 14 March 2014 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-29

So when did giving students money start being OK? I might be mistaken but didn’t Reggie Bush get USC in a lot of trouble for taking a few dollars on the side? Also there was a QB and lineman at OU that got in trouble at the car dealership they worked at because he paid them more than he said he did. We all see the stories about how much a coach or college can spend on a player my favorite example is you can buy him/her a bagel but they have to get the cream cheese. Just because the NCAA is not looking into the Martin situation right now does not mean they never do it. That is the fun thing about NCAA they can do whatever they want when they want to do it. Examples Reggie Bush, Frank Haith, Bruce Pearl all were looked into long after they were doing wrong.

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.