1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4
SPORTS
Posted: 11 March 2014 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

There is no sports forum, so I am creating one here.
I was incensed reading Kinder’s column on Patterson. He is obviously out of touch with reality.
Currie made the right decision regarding Patterson…should have been made long ago.
if I recall, he also criticized the firing of Martin…and, yes, it was a firing…and a smart firing…just ask South Carolina. my guess is that martin will soon return to the Professional “high school basketball league” where he belongs.
Ms. Patterson can find a job recruiting other bible thumpers somewhere. She can take her cadre with her.
Currie has made good decisions regarding coaches. I anxiously await the next firing of a coach who is past his time.

Posted: 12 March 2014 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

Currie’s a weasel.  He “fired” Frank in true weasel fashion, hiding out for days then implying that Frank’s “legal rights” prevented him from addressing the situation.

He can raise all the money in the world.  Won’t change his scent.

Posted: 12 March 2014 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I have some friends in South Carolina who don’t like Currie either because he stuck them with Martin….:-).
From what they tell me, your pal Frank’s days are numbered there.
Didn’t realize you were such a big Patterson fan.

Posted: 12 March 2014 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Said nothing about Patterson.  You seemed to want to talk about Frank and Currie.  I just wanted to make sure that there was no “re-write” of the situation.

Currie’s a cowardly weasel, and nothing’s going to change that.

Posted: 12 March 2014 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Have to agree with Michael on this one.  It was Martin’s time to go… and Patterson’s.  Martin suffered a suspension, this season, due to his temper/language issues.  Patterson has been here waaaayyyy too long.  This season’s less than stellar record gave adequate excuse for Currie to make a long overdue change.  High salaries… empty arena seats… losing record… It was time!

Posted: 12 March 2014 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Matter of opinion, I guess.  Doesn’t change the fact that Currie’s a cowardly weasel.

Posted: 12 March 2014 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Randall,
This obsession with Frank Martin is not healthy. You must get over it….:-)

Posted: 12 March 2014 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Michael,

A hose-job by a weasel is all I remember.  There was only one man in that slimy production… the one who left.  The weasel remains at K-state.  Anyway,  YOU brought it up.

Posted: 12 March 2014 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-07-27

I’m sorry, but if you think abusing young men verbally is manly, I cannot agree with you.  Frank got away with it long enough.  And the change in coaches has looked pretty good so far.  This team couldn’t beat anyone early in the season and managed to win 10 Big XII games and 20 games during the regular season.

Posted: 12 March 2014 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Sorry, Jerry.  I can’t share the pain you feel.  Currie’s a weasel.  He handled it like a weasel,  and nothing’s going to change that.

I said I would back this new coach if he could manage to beat KU.  He’s done that, and I’m on board. 

But, once a weasel, always a weasel.

Sorry.

Posted: 12 March 2014 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-07-27

Randall, my comments were about Frank being a “man”.  An athletic director’s job might just require him/her to be a “weasel”.

Posted: 12 March 2014 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-29

Can you tell us how you would have fired Frank?

Posted: 12 March 2014 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Bob,
I know you weren’t talking to me, but I never would have hired him in the first place. Nor would I have hired his mentor, the one before him. Neither has any respect for academics, and they both made their reputations off of semi-professional high school basketball players from the so-called “prep schools”, which are essentially, basketball schools for people who are unable to pass real courses. They give them a worthless diploma for playing basketball. They play for the required year and then they are gone. Beasley was a poster boy for this operation.

As for your question, I would have fired Martin on the spot when he smacked that player. He didn’t just verbally abuse them.

Posted: 12 March 2014 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Jerry, I guess I’d need to see the AD job description where it says, “weasel-hood required”.

Bobert, “how I would have fired Frank”?  Not sure that I would have, but it would have involved some face-to-face meetings, not stalking one of the players and then forbidding him play in an NCAA tournament final for horseshit reasons… then hiding out for 5 days, only to surface with “I can’t speak because Frank Martin has rights under the law” horseshit.
Let me remind you that NOTHING came of all that.  It had NO significance to the NCAA.  It was a contrived controversy, targeting Frank’s loyalty to his players, to get him to quit without firing him (since there was no justifiable reason for that)

Posted: 12 March 2014 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Has some significance to USC. This will probably be his last year. Sadly…for him…USC has some fairly high academic standards, so his recruiting has been undermined and his record, pitiful. Unlike KSU, USC was not tolerant of his misbehavior. Of course, that could be because he is losing. If he was winning, they might be more tolerant, as was KSU.
I like Weber, but listening to him speak is like listening to someone running his fingernails down a chalkboard.
Martin’s lad, by the way, took financial gifts from one of his AAU buddies. That would alarm any AD, and Currie was justified in the action he took.

Posted: 12 March 2014 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Now you’re just making stuff up, Michael.  This isn’t about South Carolina’s w/l record.  It’s not about whether Frank would have continued to be a successful coach here at KSU.  “Martin’s lad” did nothing wrong.  Frank said on national TV that he’d done the same for some of his former players.  Did you see the NCAA respond to either of those?  No?  You know why?  Because there was nothing wrong with them

As I said, weasel AD.  Nothing’s going to change that fact, no matter how someone may try to re-write history.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.