CVB/Chamber shure didn’t advertise for Ray’s!!!!
Posted: 05 March 2014 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, Ray’s Apple Market at 6th & Leavenworth is closing.  A great asset to a neighborhood will be no more.  Sad to see them have to go.  Guess the impact of HyVee finally did them in.

Just watched the CVB monthly video.  Our $1 million in tax dollars allows them to produce expensive videos each month.  This month the video brags about the new businesses opening in or relocating to Downtown.  Businesses like Ray’s Apple Market… businesses that are the backbone of our community, whether it be Downtown or otherwise… get no free advertising.  If you reloate a business, tax dollars will give you free advertising.  I wonder if more Chamber members than simply the few who relocate would like to be featured in monthly videos paid for with tax dollars…....

Posted: 06 March 2014 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

That has always been a problem location. It is a crummy little building with a limited clientele which is shrinking. Access for the big trucks is problematic, as you will know if you ever go by there early in the morning and watch the big delivery trucks trying to back into that tiny space. Not really Ray’s fault, or anyone else’s for that matter. It is a bad location and a bad building, at least for a grocery store. I have never shopped there much regardless of the name on the front. Best that Ray’s concentrate on the west side store and stop throwing good money after bad at that location.

I don’t think Hy Vee had that much effect on it. It has always been marginal.

Posted: 06 March 2014 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

I liked shopping at the downtown Ray’s.  It always seemed pretty busy to me despite its location and size.  However, I like a store with a smaller footprint - it doesn’t take as long to get around to get what you need and by and large I was able to find what I wanted or needed.  I have to wonder if the downtown location wasn’t holding its own financially, but given the huge investment they had made in the west side location they had to sacrifice one to save the other.  The few times I have been in Ray’s on the west side I have been struck by how few customers there are.

Posted: 06 March 2014 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

The west side Ray’s is very popular at certain hours…lunch time and at the end of the day.
I think you fit the profile of most of the east side customers, in that you live close by and it is handy.
Many of their customers were older people who walked to the store…this was true under all names on the front of the building.

I think you are right. The west side Ray’s is a high overhead store, and they probably needed the extra revenue. It is also expensive. I generally shop at the Ray’s in Clay Center which is a nice-sized store, and the prices, in my observation are much lower than the big store in Manhattan. They also have lots better coupons on the meats and other things. A bunch of serious markdowns. I just bought a couple of packages of Brussel Sprouts for fifty cents each.

That east location was never convenient for me. Of course, when it was Food for Less, I refused to set foot in the store. They were sort of a religious cult…and all their stores were dirty. Glad they are gone from Manhattan.

Small stores always look busier precisely because they are small.

Posted: 06 March 2014 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

Remarkably, even when it was busy I never seemed to have wait in line too long at the downtown Ray’s.  The same can’t be said for east Dillon’s.  I usually opt for self-checkout rather than wait for a register to become available.  I have yet to darken the doors of the Westloop Dillon’s store—the Westloop parking lot is a mess (not to mention the huge potholes).

Posted: 07 March 2014 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, don’t forget the speed bumps. They go nicely with the potholes and those who sell struts.
I went to Dillons West once. I don’t like the layout with all the crossing aisles. Same is true with Hy Vee. I can’t find anything. Dillons East has always suffered from a lack of cashiers. I have gotten used to using the self check out, and the people manning it are generally very helpful with produce and those things with no little bar code.
If you check the markdown areas at Dillons, there are some pretty good bargains. I just bought a bunch of crab legs for $5 !!!!!

I think Ray’s West is a lovely store, but a bit overpriced. I hope they tear down that east store and replace it with something useful….maybe a low-income housing development.
What do you think Wynn? A few mil for something that might actually help some people?

Posted: 08 March 2014 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I remember a store being there at the 6th street location when I was a little kid in the 1980s, I think it was a Safeway. We went there constantly for years during college when it was Food 4 Less and open 24 hours, until some manager apparently decided that my husband and I “looked poor” and were therefore shoplifters. Never called the police or anything, just told a friend of mine who went to the same church he did. I admit I never got back into the habit of going there much, even when the company changed.

Still, it seems likely the Hy-Vee and the bigger Walmart have impacted the stores in that area. Ray’s out of business, and regular shoppers at the east side Dillon’s surely have noticed like I have that the quality of fresh food and the selection has gone down while prices have gone up.

And do not get me started on the Westloop parking lot. It’s actually gotten worse since the revamp! It’s like it was built by someone with a terrible sense of humor.

Posted: 08 March 2014 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

It was a Safeway.
Food for Less people were nutcakes. I went in there one morning after jogging, many years ago. I had on jogging shorts and the manager asked me to leave and go put on some clothes…hahaha…I left and never went back. I heard that they only hired serious Christians. I don’t know that for a fact but every time I checked out, I got a “God bless you”.

Posted: 08 March 2014 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

By the way, for you fish eaters, the Ray’s in Clay Center…and maybe Manhattan…is selling Tilapa fillets for $2 per pound.  Dillons, $5.99 per pound. They are packaging them in half pound servings…enough for one, so for a dollar or less, you get a meal.

‹‹ $976.35      Rumors... mere rumors ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.