70 years old and paying for child care!!!!
Posted: 07 February 2014 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

Okay, I’m confused.  (Many others would attest to that!)  Riley County says they will raise the cost of a child care license.  Currently, the $35/year fee is low compared to other counties.  I understand that and applaud the County’s efforts to have their fee structure in line with others. 

My question comes re the City owned and operated child care facility.  If the County raises the license fee, won’t make any difference to the City’s facility since it is tax supported.  Does the City facility have to be licensed?  I would hope any child care facility must undergo the inspections required to assure a safe environment for youngsters.  If the City fee is paid for by taxpayers and that fee goes to the County, isn’t that double taxation?  If our taxes are paying the wages and expenses of the one performing the inspection, we’re already paying that cost.  Then, if we have to pay additional costs as a “fee”... something isn’t right.  Why am I at almost 70 years old paying taxes to support a City-owned child care facility anyway??
These are the kinds of issues that arise when a municipality opens a child care facility… an expensive facility geared for the privilieged… in direct competition to private enterprises.  We’re funding a child care facility for the well to do in the community and we’re supposed to jump on board with another $50 million venture… also for the privileged.  At the same time, we’re asked to add dollars to our water bills because the elected body wants to cut services to the less fortunate of the community.  Sheesh!!!!!

Posted: 07 February 2014 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Let’s see… the County Commissioners are wanting to raise the $35 annual license fee for child care providers, yet favor spending $50 million on recreational facilities for the privileged??  I guess when the kids of those living in ritzy west side homes, Timber Creek, and Wamego benefit from being handed $50 million in tax dollars the County Commissioners can justify it due to the extra $10/year they asses childcare providers. 

Speaking of Fleecing Taxpayers Group, otherwise known as the Fieldhouse Group, who is paying for the expensive office space near Bluemont and N. Manhattan Ave.?  A group who is begging for tens of millions in tax dollars can afford fancy offices?  Is the office rent coming from the $25,000 they coerced from CVB… tax dollars?  Has the County Commission already climbed in bed with the FG and handed them tax dollars for rent money?

Posted: 08 February 2014 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

The office in the building at the corner of Bluemont and N. Manhattan Avenue has nothing to do with the group wanting new sports facilities.  It’s a private development company. 

http://www.fieldhousedev.com

Posted: 08 February 2014 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks!  I see that… now.  Wow!  I can’t believe a family owned business would allow the confusion created by the similarity in names.  Fieldhouse Development… Fieldhouse Project.  As the Fieldhouse Project continues its goal to coerce the taxpayers into spending $50 million up front and then commit to an additional $2 million/year in operation and maintenance costs, this could certainly continue to cause confusion.  Why wouldn’t Fieldhouse Development request that Fieldhouse Project change their name?  Otherwise, as property taxes escalate on the homes Fieldhouse Development builds, owners could well think them the culprit.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.