Viva Electricity!
Posted: 30 January 2014 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I just heard this morning that propane has gone to $5 per gallon. Pity to the dealers who sold it pre-paid for $1.60.
I have electric heat as well and I immediately came home and shut off the propane. I am sure this will affect the natural gas folks as well, so be prepared. We have no choice in Hooterville…

Posted: 30 January 2014 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, we live in Manhattan… but are all electric.  Love it, when it comes to paying the utility bills.  Our home is quite efficient to heat and cool.  We don’t have all the additional fees/charges/b.s. that would be added to a gas bill.  I despise Westar.  Westar has as much of a stranglehold on the Kansas Corporation Commission as the Chamber has on the City Commission.  It’s totally ridiculous how Westar can demand muliti-million dollar increases that are barely scrutinized.
Electric heat isn’t nearly as “hot” as is gas heat.  Hence, as we age, the electric heat does seem less attractive as having a gas furnace.  But, as we age and look forward to fixed income status, not having an exhorbitant gas bill is pretty durn nice.

Posted: 30 January 2014 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I have both and have tried to balance the two…what I end up with are two large bills instead of one. The propane is the main source with wall furnaces but each room has one of those electric heaters that look like wood stoves. They work beautifully. They have a fan at the bottom so feet stay warm. The propane heats from the waist up. If I run the electric ones all the time, I get a bill of about $300 a month, but stay very warm. At the new prices, it will cost me $1,000 a month to heat with the propane. I switched to electric water heater some years ago. This house has ductwork for central heat but that did not even begin to keep it warm, so I switched to wall units. The only thing green about this house is some of the trim paint.

When I built my new house in Oklahoma, it was all electric. I much prefer it. You don’t end up with gas scum all over everything.
By the way, you might note that Westar has a few extra charges as well. In fact, two-thirds of my bill is extra charges.

Posted: 30 January 2014 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

I think you mean, “Viva la Electricidad.”

Local Mexican slang is “La luce”, “the light”, but easy to remember because of our own “the juice”.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.