< 1 2
2 of 2
Fly, fly away…...
Posted: 02 February 2014 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2013-07-13

The bus issue IS simple.  As long as you don’t have a bus system, you can claim a dearth of ridership.  As long as no one tries to incorporate the school bus routes, then tax money can’t be saved and silly percentages can spouted as an argument against public transportation.  As long as any tiny attempt at public transportation runs up against resistance of the kind the ata has had to deal with, then, sure, you can claim they won’t work.

Manhattan has long been big enough to support public transportation.  It’s the minds of Manhattan government officials that have always been too small.

But, you KNOW, a system would gain ridership, improve traffic, reduce congestion, and reduce our tax expenditures for school buses.  Is that what you’re afraid of? You’ll never get that genie back in the bottle, once it’s out?  That seems to be the common thread among all of these PAC’s wanting to “Awaken” “Our” Manhattan.

It’s interesting, Wynn, that you say you don’t represent a religious PAC, yet your PAC has links to Awaken Manhattan and the local Teabaggers.  Hmmm…

Posted: 03 February 2014 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall, let us be clear on the local PACs I am a member of Our Manhattan and the Flint Hills Tea Party.  I am not a formal member of Awaken Manhattan which is church based, simply because I am not a formal member or any local Manhattan church.  Websites from different organizations have cross links.  The website you reference has links to Riley County, City of Manhattan, and USD 383.  Links are for informational purpose and does not imply anything else.  An MPO link is also present.

Posted: 03 February 2014 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

But, it is a common thread, isn’t it?  Trying to keep the genie in the bottle?

You know that ridership can never increase if bus routes are never established.  You know that tax money will never be saved if the school systems have to buy, maintain, insure, staff, and operate their own bus fleets for every route in town.

I look forward to seeing you argue for a Manhattan Public Transit System, especially if its creation and operation are designated the responsibility of the Chamber of Commerce as a condition of their annual raid on our tax coffers.

Posted: 04 February 2014 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I do like the idea of some how linking the USD buses to public transportation.  Not sure how to make that one work, but it is a solid goal as they have some fixed routes with dedicated ridership.

Posted: 04 February 2014 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Exactly.  The USD money dedicated to those routes ALONE could easily exceed 125 K, when all expenditures are accounted.  How much does a bus cost?  What’s the annual salary of a driver?  Maintenance, insurance, etc?

Posted: 04 February 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I would like a bus that would pick me up, take me to the grocery store and return me home. I would also like help with the grocery sacks…and some coffee and maybe a free danish on the trip. How much would that cost? I don’t care if it is Manhattan taxpayer money. I don’t live in Manhattan.

Posted: 05 February 2014 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Me too, Michael. And while I’m at it, I’d like my personal bus driver to be a former member of the Swedish Women’s Ski Team.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.