‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4
Flint Hills Regional Transit Administration Interlocal Agreement
Posted: 06 February 2014 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall:  You have the facts on the pool as best that I can determine, minus the swim meet idea, will get something back on that later in the month.  I am not defending the status quo.  I did not say the parks and recreation advisory board was an unimpeachable group.  My point on all of the City Boards is that they need input from the Commission as a group.  Call it guidance on what the majority desire.  Some boards, like the CVB needed to be reorganized but that failed on a 3-2 vote.  The boards also need to not have conventions in Overland Park . 

Take the case of the Parks Board.  If three of the Commissioners like the idea of the Marlin’s using the pool during public hours, then the input or guidance will be business as usual.  The problem is that the Commission has not yet determined to provide any guidance.  I made that suggestion at the Retreat we had in January, but it got no traction.  So the boards will continue to operate in a vacuum. 

We are still working on the water bill SSAB donation program effort.  MES put in some radio spots on the topic last Month.  Have you donated yet?  We are pushing for everyone to kick in 1 dollar a month.  That will help subsidize the $378,000 investment that the city made in SSAB this year.

Let us make a data based comparison on the pools subsidy and SSAB.  Look at page 137 of 2014 budget book.  It covers Swimming Pools Division.  Operating Expenditures of $601,600 for all facilities – splash park, water feature at Blue Earth and the three pools.  Revenue of $464,000 projected.  Subsidy of $137,000.  Compare that with page168 SSAB outside services – subsidy of $378,000. 

The pool subsidy covers about 80 days of operation.  So a swim meet would use 1/80 of the subsidy.  But as the subsidy is for all 3 pools and 2 water features, so the 1/80 amount should be reduced by a further 1/3.  So at worst closing the pools for the Marlins for a day would be subsidized at a cost of $565.  So if they are charged at least the average cost of the daily operation subsidy for the entire pool division – say $1712, it is a break even proposition.  The data indicates that SSAB gets the priority in subsidy. 

Posted: 06 February 2014 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry:  I hope you are not correct on the Field House group assessment.  The City Commission did not endorse the project.  They simply took the survey handed it to the Parks Board and ask them to take what was of value in regards to facilities upgrades and consider it in future CIP projects.  I do not see a problem with looking at facilities upgrade plans.  That is a far cry from endorsement.  But, to avoid that inference, I made clear that I was not supporting the project as submitted.  That was however not echoed by the other members of the Commission.

During this year or next year if 3 votes are present on the Commission, it can spend 50 more million and put us at or over the debt limit by funding the Field House.  The group did just approve the library – 6 mils for ten years to expand the children’s reading program (maxed out the spending limit set up by the library charter ordinance, the kids will be out of High School before it is paid off),.  The children’s reading program would have worked just fine in the zoo education building – with better parking an empty under used space, brand new.  They will maybe repair the stage and go on to other building projects to increase the debt burden under the guise of QL.  Being the Mayor does not control any of that, it is majority rule.  Three votes for everything except charter ordinances like the library.

I hope that the County Commission stays focused on their goal of the Court Building and EMS.  I can understand the new court building (consolidated Municipal and County).  I think the EMS building could be delayed, especially if the ambulance crews co-locate with MFD.  Room is available.  EMS currently has one vehicle in the station at City Hall.  As for the PBC, I think they should get rid of the idea.  The Commissioners, I believe are well intentioned.  They have bought into the building schemes as presented by the various county offices.  The staff appears to have done a great job of persuasion.  I think they are convinced that the voters will vote for it anyway, so why not have a PBC to speed the process?

My recommendation to them is to put the building schemes on the ballot for a vote.  Election is coming up in November, plenty of time to get a ballot item set up.  In fact they could put the PBC on the ballot, even as an advisory item that was not binding.  It would be a way to get the true pulse of the community. 

I really cannot see the county letting the Field House group trump the other building projects.  The list of items that some of them wish to build is huge – Administrative building, Parking garage, EMS building, New Court House, New County Fair Grounds and the New Firing Range/training facility for RCPD.  The price tag for all of that has to be over 100 million.  Add the field house and we can join Detroit in the bankruptcy line. 

Posted: 06 February 2014 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

Gorsh, Wynn.  If we’re going to get creative with percentages, why aren’t you dividing the Social Services money by 365 days?

You’re starting to scrabble in your defense of goodies for the good ol boys and your sneering opposition to anything for the less fortunate citizens of Manhattan.  Is there some kind of workshop commissioners go to to learn this obtuse poli-speak?  You sound just like those gasbags you replaced.

FACT:  The city pool was built as a private practice and meet facility for the Marlins.
FACT:  The Marlins are the ONLY private group that can and has CLOSED the public pool for their private meets.
FACT:  They paid for some of these privileges last summer, but there’s no real rates listed anywhere for their practice times, or their meets.
FACT:  Lap swim is unavailable to ANY of the tax-paying citizens, making the state-of-the-art lap pool theirs and theirs alone.
FACT:  The Parks and Recs. director is “unwilling” to change anything to make it available to anyone BUT the Marlins for their practices.

Is that about it?

Posted: 06 February 2014 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Randall:  The data speaks for itself, but can of course be sliced and diced.  Your list of facts is more opinion based.  The city pool was built with input from the Marlin’s, but not as a private practice facility as confirmed by the Parks Director.  It is true that the Marlin’s are the only group that I am aware of that has been allowed to close the pool during public hours for swim meets.  The Marlins schedule, like other MPRD morning activities like scuba diving class are not all listed on the website.  Swim classes are available as MPRD programs.  Not sure MPRD has a lap swim plan, but I guess they could, but am not sure we have a demand.  Maybe the Field House Group can do a survey or the advisory board can take up the topic.  The Parks and Recreation Director is open to any and all suggestions.  I would not categorize him as “unwilling” as I do not have any data to prove that fact. 

On a final note I am not interested in defending the Marlin’s.  My goal is to publish the facts.  The facts reveal that the pool is not really hurting the needy – as evidenced by the SSAB budget.  The cost of the Marlins use has been outlined and seems reasonable.  The swim meet for 2014 is still not determined or resolved.  Please come to the next legislative meeting and bring all of this up in public comment, the Parks and Rec Director is always present.  Your public comment will clearly state the case for those that are in opposition to the Marlin’s and that as you said should just about do it. 

Posted: 06 February 2014 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

“The data speaks for itself, but can of course be sliced and diced.  Your list of facts is more opinion based.”

No, Wynn, your “pro-ration” of the Marlin subsidy is opinion based.  The facts are the facts.  Exhibit A would be the fact that the Marlins JUST started paying something for the use of the pool.  When was construction completed?  Exhibit B would be the fact that the Parks and Rec. application states unequivocally that they will close the pool for NO ONE.  What it doesn’t say is “except the private Marlins swim club”.

” The city pool was built with input from the Marlin’s, but not as a private practice facility as confirmed by the Parks Director. “

The Parks Director confirmed no such thing.

” It is true that the Marlin’s are the only group that I am aware of that has been allowed to close the pool during public hours for swim meets.” 

Exact.

“The Marlins schedule, like other MPRD morning activities like scuba diving class are not all listed on the website.  Swim classes are available as MPRD programs.  Not sure MPRD has a lap swim plan, but I guess they could, but am not sure we have a demand. ”

How could you be sure if there was a demand, if none are available?  Also, let me remind you that the Marlins practice is NOT a “MPRD morning activity”.

“The Parks and Recreation Director is open to any and all suggestions. “

His letter says nothing of the kind.

” I would not categorize him as “unwilling” as I do not have any data to prove that fact. “

He stated that fact in his letter to you.

“On a final note I am not interested in defending the Marlin’s.  My goal is to publish the facts. ”

Except, on this thread, if you read back, you were unaware of most of the facts concerning the design and exclusivity of the Marlins concerning the pool.

“The facts reveal that the pool is not really hurting the needy – as evidenced by the SSAB budget.  “

Please show me where anyone said it was “hurting the needy”.

“The cost of the Marlins use has been outlined and seems reasonable. “

According to whom?  What’s reasonable about a private group being able to close a public pool whenever they want to have a meet?

“The swim meet for 2014 is still not determined or resolved. “

Would you like to make a wager on how it will be determined and resolved?

“Please come to the next legislative meeting and bring all of this up in public comment, the Parks and Rec Director is always present.  Your public comment will clearly state the case for those that are in opposition to the Marlin’s and that as you said should just about do it”

“Just about do what, Wynn?  Just about do what you and the other good ol boys have done… nothing?”

‹ First  < 2 3 4
4 of 4

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.