< 1 2
2 of 2
what happened?
Posted: 15 January 2014 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael:  The Mercury is not news.  They tend to put a bit of a spin on everything that Ned is not in favor of pushing.  Encourage a little participation and this thing may turn into a better product.

Posted: 16 January 2014 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

As I’ve stated before, I subscribe to a number of on-line discussion boards.  They are lively, heavily participated in, and appear to be profitable for the site owners.  That could well be the case with this discussion board, if The Merucry were to promote it.  Instead, I believe Ned feels the discussion board is… or may become… an alternative to subscribing to the print version of the paper.  In a time when print media is suffering, I would think publishers would be looking at means of expanding their base… not diminishing it.  Not the case in Manhattan.  To The Mercury, this board is the proverbial “red-headed step child”.

Posted: 16 January 2014 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
You are right. It is not news. It has gotten worse with this new editor who fancies himself as some sort of profound pundit. Even worse, the entire layout of the paper has been scrambled. What should be Sunday filler fluff suddenly gets front page status. Yesterday, three-fourths of the front page were devoted to some silly simulated football exercise. Before that, a half a page of girls walking around in wedding gowns which should have been reserved for the Sunday rotogravure. Actually the bulk of front page “news” all belongs in Sunday filler. It’s not news, it is largely promotional material for one outfit or another…most recently the Disappointment Center.
In addition, features are moved around willy-nilly. Yesterday, for example, there was a “movie review” on A5. That is not usually where these are placed.
I am not blaming the new editor for all of this, but someone is not minding the store there on Osage.

By the way, if you don’t want to spend the money for all this “news”...there is a guy on facebook whose name is Eustace Dauger…I don’t know him but I inherited him as a “friend”. Anyway, he spends his entire day posting Mercury stuff including obits…sort of like the NYT Fax….of course, you won’t get the pictures of debutantes in wedding attire.

Posted: 16 January 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

fancies himself as some sort of profound pundit - - filler fluff - - Disappointment Center
You’re on a roll Hadley . .

For me and reading the hard copy of the Mercury I glance at the front page, read (sometimes) the obits. See if they got the information about the lake, outflow and water temp and so on. Go to see who wrote to the editor. If it’s the same three I pass that up then Ok that’s it for me and reading the paper version of the mercury.
I generally track this chat less site to see if I dare post anything.
Dumbest thing on board that I see now is this foolish “Tear Up Our Parks can’t find a life guard” elitist fiasco being shoved down our throats.

And yes WELCOME BOB, nice to see one additional person with comments in the past 8 months of this board’s run of activity. . .

Posted: 17 January 2014 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Bob - 14 January 2014 08:52 PM

Oh I know all about the nut cases. I have really been on here for a long time. Good old Randall, the Nebraska fan don’t remember his name, a few others that I can’t think of right now. My last alias was Robert because Bob was taken by some old cranky man. So we need to find a way to get those people that watch say something.

Randall posts here, but cranky old man Bob hasn’t been seen in months.

Posted: 17 January 2014 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Dave,
I am really quite concerned about the direction the Mercury is going with this new editor. Fluff seems to be the order of the day.

I have worked for newspapers, and I know where certain types of pieces belong…and it is not on the front page. These “musings” should, at least, be on the editorial page.

Posted: 18 January 2014 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, do you happen to have the name of the person found in the park that you mentioned a couple of days ago? I’m asking because one of my husband’s co-workers seems to have up and disappeared. If you don’t want to say the name on the forum, you can email me - glitterninja (at) gmail.com (replace the (at) with the @ sign, of course). Thanks.

Posted: 18 January 2014 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Now you are testing my memory. I think the name was Thomas Ellis…age 56, if I remember correctly.
Hope that is correct and helps.
Michael

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.