1 2 > 
1 of 2
what happened?
Posted: 10 January 2014 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-29

Did this forum die? Nothing has been written since October?

Posted: 10 January 2014 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Bob:  A few things have been posted.  I noticed that in some cases I log in and the system shows no new posts.  But if a do not log in and go to the forums, new material is present.

Posted: 11 January 2014 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

I’ve given up on the Mercury forums.  But, it caught my attention that in spite of the “real names” policy, someone only known as “Bob” was allowed to create an account and post a comment only as “Bob.”  Hmm.

Posted: 12 January 2014 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-10-10

First, to whoever “Bob” is… The Mercury pretty well killed the discussion when they required that posters be identified.  There are three or four of us that continue to post, and it appears there are a few “watchers”. 

Second, the reason there are not many posting here is…. is…. is…. Wait a minute!  How the heck did you get past the registration using only a first name??

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I think the use of actual names has improved the quality of the postings (more dialogue, civil debate and fewer insulting behaviors and attack behaviors), while at the same time reducing the quantity.  Many folks are still viewing and not posting.  Those viewing may be picking up information that is generally not provided in normal Mercury reporting. Over time, maybe more people will feel comfortable making public posts.  The Mercury could however fix some of the links so that you could click on the Profile of the member and see the data, that might alleviate the question as to the last name of Bob.

Posted: 12 January 2014 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-29

Well I put all the info that they wanted in there. I do not know why my last name is not on the page. Would it make you feel better if it was? My last name is Morse.

Posted: 13 January 2014 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Wynn, it’s not about the so-called question of Bob’s last name. I doubt anyone here was determined to know that info. The point is that anyone who wanted to participate was forced to call the Mercury offices to prove who they were, and we could only post with our real first and last names. Now someone shows up who was allowed to just register normally—of course, we want to know why.

Not meaning to put you on the spot here, Bob, we’re just wondering what’s going on.

Posted: 13 January 2014 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Bob Morse - Welcome and keep posting.  We wanted more participation and we appreciate your effort.

Posted: 13 January 2014 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-29

Thank you very much. I did post a lot before the big switch but work got to busy and never really could get verified to post again. I was just really shocked that the sports forum all but stopped. I really liked the comment about how we had some “watchers” on the boards. With 200 something views and 6 comments some people are really scared what others think about them I guess.

Posted: 13 January 2014 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Yes, Bob, welcome.  Evidently, someone did believe you knew the secret handshake and allowed you into our small club.  :>)  It’s now “what others think about them”.  Many cannot speak openly in a pubic forum without concern for career, etc.  It’s sorta like the recent hoopla over the Regents social media policy.  Say the wrong thing and it could mean your job.  We lost some excellent insight when the board went to requiring names.  We, also, lost significant mud-slinging and personal attacks.  I had hopes that we would see some interest and moderate growth.  The growth hasn’t happened.

As far as the sports forum, that never did catch a lot of interest.  Don’t know why.  This past year, we’ve seen the Royals contend longer than in recent history.  We’ve seen the Chiefs go into the playoffs.  We’ve seen a KSU bowl game and a basketball team notch something like 10 wins in a row… before Saturday.  If you have sports interests, post on that forum and we’ll see if some lurkers might join in the discussion.

Posted: 14 January 2014 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-29

The sport forum is really why I wanted to come back. I also like to read some of what is going around Manhattan since I have spent most of my life here. I do root for a team that is a little more east in the state but I do not dislike ksu as much as some but I do like a good back and forth.

Posted: 14 January 2014 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

“... root for a team that is a little more east…”  Ummm, must be the Washburn Ichabods.  There are NO universites/colleges between Topeka and KC that have sports teams, are there?  :>)

Posted: 14 January 2014 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, Bob, larry, Stacia…etal (I think that covers it)...I am not going to waste my time with a dead forum.
The Mercury killed this forum. It is as simple as that. Why? I don’t really know.

What I do know is that this was once an active and vibrant forum. Sure, there were some crazies…and some insults and a bunch of ad hominem attacks. That made it sort of fun.

Bob, the sports forum used to be very active. The “fan” exchanges often were heated, but entertaining to read.

One would think that The Mercury would notice the dramatic decline in participation, but they apparently are in some sort of denial.
Quite possibly, this could be the work of the new Executive Editor who seems to favor “fluff” over controversial subjects. Nothing new for The Mercury, but he has brought fluff to new levels. His little cutesy musings which take up one-third of the front page should be ample evidence of this. Some guy commits suicide in a city park and it doesn’t even warrant front page coverage.
Instead, he babbles about his experiences at the old folks home. Some old woman liked his column…she must be the only one.

Posted: 14 January 2014 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
How in the world do you think participation will increase?
You suggest that the current participation is more civil. What participation? No one is here. The ones that are still here, were always civil. I actually miss the nutcakes. Maybe what you like about the current forum is that no one challenges you? You can just post these bland things and nobody responds. You got your Christmas wish…courtesy of The Manhattan Mercury…the bastion of hard news.

Posted: 14 January 2014 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-29

Oh I know all about the nut cases. I have really been on here for a long time. Good old Randall, the Nebraska fan don’t remember his name, a few others that I can’t think of right now. My last alias was Robert because Bob was taken by some old cranky man. So we need to find a way to get those people that watch say something. It is sad that the only forum is the political one.

Posted: 15 January 2014 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

The old forum had advertisements, so there might have been more of a reason for the Mercury to be interested in encouraging people to use the forums.  Apparently, the Mercury is no longer interested in selling online ad space for the forums or in developing the forums to support electronic ads or other features that the old forums had.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.