Local businesses coming and going…...
Posted: 05 January 2014 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

The Merucry, this morning says KMart is toast.  Closing their doors.  Not too surprising, given the number of KMart locatoins closed nationally.

Rumors….
1.)  Waters True Value, now located just east of KMart, closing. 
2.)  Waters relocating to the west side.  Where??
3.)  Lowes coming to Manhattan.  This a time worn rumor, almost as aged as Kohls.  Is there room for another home improvement store with Home Depot and Menards?
4.)  Sam’s Club to construct a new facility out east on Hwy 24.

Who is “in the know”?

Posted: 05 January 2014 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Water’s appears to be rebuilding the facility that the storm destroyed a few years ago.  Looks like the West side relocation is where the rental center is - the OLD 84 Lumber lot.

Posted: 15 January 2014 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I am surprised K Mart has lasted this long. They are more expensive than Wal Mart and have less selection.
Every single time I have been in there, I was the only customer. If Waters moves, you basically have an empty strip mall out there. haven’t heard any more about Kohls (over-priced stuff). I don’t think we are large enough for a Sam’s Club.

Posted: 15 January 2014 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

KMart has struggled for years.  Not big enough to compete with WalMart.  Not small enough to compete with the mom & pops.  My wife enjoyed KMart because it was much easier to run in and grab something than at WalMart.  We, simply, do not shop WalMart.  I guess we’re afraid someone might snap a photo and we find ourselves “displayed” on the People of WalMart web site!!!  :>)

For the short term, I don’t think Kohls will sniff at Manhattan.  There is a Lowe’s rurmor, but why would they come to a relatively small community and compete with Home Depot and Menards?  I don’t know what demographics WalMart uses for a Sam’s Club.  Current rumor is that there will be a Sam’s Club out in Pott County, along 24 Highway.  Anything to it?  Have no idea.

Have heard HyVee is struggling.  I’ve never stepped foot in there, and never will.  We need them to survive for the sake of a past City Commission mortgaging our souls for that grocery store.  Recent article about the owner of Olive Garden/Red Lobster.  Just seems like food place after food place after food place continue to open up.  I see the new Taco place in under construction at 3rd and Leavenworth.  Chic-Fil-Whatever is supposed to be going in by Staples. 

I’m ready for the announcement of some large commercial/manufacturing facility going in.  Isn’t that what we’re paying CVB $1 million a year to find?  Instead, they set up a football display at the Weed Museum and want the taxpayers to shell out $2 million to cover that cost.  Oh, I did hear some of the DC staff talking about the football dispaly.  Wow!!  Kids can be timed running something like 10 FT out of a 3-point stance.  Kids can toss a football back and forth.  Jeez!  This is right up there with the excitment of a Sea World or Disneyland!!!!!

Posted: 15 January 2014 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry:  The Shadow Government is meeting in Overland Park this week end. I am sure they will figure out a plan to fill the empty commercial space, or they will figure out a way to tax us to make up the difference.

Posted: 16 January 2014 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Yep!  Sunday, we’ll see all the phenomonal plans, embellished to their max, in The Mercury.  Just a guess, but I’m thinking the big announcements will be….
1.)  The Weed Museum’s $2 million football toss, funded by the property tax, will be replaced with a “Bubbleball” exhibit.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMx0urwVRo  Cost to the taxpayers, $3 million.
2.)  There will be a presentation by the Fieldhouse Group, stating their $50+ million project will move forward… thanks to a backroom commitment by the County Commissioners and three members of the City Commission.  The Chamber will pledge their full support… and their promise to pull puppet strings and see that the elected bodies fund the project.
3.)  A local businessman, currently receiving millions in eco-devo dollars, will announce plans to purchase the strip mall center when KMart and Waters are fully vacated.  Future plans include filling the space with new concepts like an Asian ethnic restaurant, a Mexican cuisine restaurant, and a hotel.  The Chamber will pledge support for this developer to ask the City Commission for a new revenue stream of eco-devo dollars due to the high wages and excellent benefits such enterprises will bring to Manhattan.
4.)  The Chamber will roll out their idea that west side developments are much too distant from shopping districts.  A builder of multi-family residences on the west side has too much competition from builders in Pott County.  So, we will be told Dial Realty will be hired by the City to develop a new shopping mall out by the Airport.  Once operable, the existing downtown mall will be razed to make room for another hotel and grocery store.
5.)  The Chamber will announce plans to lobby the State Legislature to remove the local School Board and have the County Commission take over those responsibilities.  Their justification is that this School Board has allowed over 3 years to elapse before asking the voters for more money.  Such lack of spending tax dollars is not in concert with current Chamber policies and MUST be changed.  The County Commission, on the other hand, has seen no project or cause they feel unworthy of tossing tax dollars at.

And, we all will be expected to applaud….....

Posted: 16 January 2014 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

If you check the agenda the idea of regional public transportation is in the works.  This year one of the Agenda items will push the creation of a Flint Hills Transportation Agency and the siphoning of tax dollars to support public transportation.  The City and every member of the Commission should refuse to attend simply because the meeting is in Overland Park.  How can the Chamber look in the mirror and still claim they are pushing for tourism and conventions in Manhattan when they book their own event, year after year in Kansas City?  The event should be local.  That would eliminate hotel cost and go a long way in elimination of the comments about Shadow Government.

Posted: 17 January 2014 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Larry Williams - 15 January 2014 03:23 PM

Just seems like food place after food place after food place continue to open up.  I see the new Taco place in under construction at 3rd and Leavenworth.  Chic-Fil-Whatever is supposed to be going in by Staples.

All the chain restaurants are hurting the local places, and that stinks. I go almost exclusively to locally-owned restaurants and their customers are dwindling. But hey, at least the bigots can get their Chick-Fil-A sandwiches and show the country who’s boss, or whatever it is their shills are always saying online. Might as well, the place has spent a lot of money on their PR, even buying I MEAN “winning” equality awards in local areas.

Posted: 17 January 2014 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Interesting observation on local vice chain restaurants, in regards to sales success.  I am not sure that it would be easy to pull data on that topic.  The City gets sales tax receipts in various categories, but I do not think it is broken down into the categories of local or chain.  I suppose it is all about competition, folks will use the eating establishments that they like best.  As you say some bigots will not eat at Chick-Fil-A.  Its co-location with Hobby Lobby should help the discerning customer.  The market always figures it out, the Invisible Hand of Adam Smith.

[ Edited: 17 January 2014 12:01 PM by Wynn Butler ]

Posted: 17 January 2014 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I really think Stacia and Wynn explained who would… and who would not… eat at a proposed fast food restaurant differently.  But, my old eyes may be playing tricks….  :>)

Posted: 18 January 2014 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I have no idea what a vice chain is.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.