It seems strange to me
Posted: 16 December 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

If the numbers are correct and not manufactured, then there are still lots of people reading these forums. BUT, they don’t respond. I can only attribute that to the policy of real names. It is the only variable from the old active forum.
Maybe an “open week” where people can post using whatever moniker they like? That, I think would answer the question one way or another.
Of course, Larry and I and Wynn could just get together for coffee and people could eavesdrop on our conversation, which is, essentially what is going on now, but it would save all this typing.
How about it Ned? Are you willing to try it? You claim that real names didn’t hurt. I will ignore the fact that it obviously DID, but here is a chance to prove you were right. I have no dog in the fight. I always used my real name. I have nothing to lose, but others might be concerned about their jobs. The young lady at Carmike certainly would lend credence to their fears.
By the way, that story disappeared abruptly.

Posted: 16 December 2013 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I receive private e-mails from a number of folks who simply cannot post under their real names.  These people are active members of our community.  To post their concerns, however, could be detrimental to businesses they work hard to grow and maintain.  Many have expressed that they would be glad to participate in a community discussion board… if they did not have to post under their real identities.  The concerns and ideas of these people would make for excellent discussion and viewing by every reader of the discussion board.  Follow up articles could be written and posted in The Mercury’s paper editions.  Instead…  The Mercury insists on utilizing old technology in software and requires posting under real names.  This results in dismal participation.  Until proven otherwise, it appears this is exactly what the folks in charge want.

Posted: 16 December 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Absolutely correct. I post on several forums and none of them require real names, although I do use mine. Being essentially retired, I cannot be fired, and I own no business that I depend on for my livelihood. Others do. One would think that the mercury would like an active forum…and, it had one. Even the crazies like CS made it fun to read, and even he stimulated lively conversations. The sports forum used to be a fun free-for-all, now it is completely dead. You can’t even insult Bill Snyder and elicit a response. Now, that is DEAD.
I can only speculate as to the the Mercury’s motives in killing this forum. It is clear that the new Executive Editor is far more fond of fluff pieces than any sort of controversial issues. The silly garbage posted on the front page is clear evidence of this. Most of this crap is usually reserved as Sunday filler where it belongs, but this guy puts it on the front page daily. I have stopped buying the paper. I subscribe to the New York Times on line. They actually print some news. For local scandals I simply check out the Topeka paper which reports Manhattan local events at least one day before the Mercury.

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

Happy Birthday, Michael!

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Welcome back, Randall!!!  Where ya been?

Oh!  Michael, is the Mayor of Hooterville throwing you a birthday party?  Happy birthday!!!

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

I’ve been in Manhattan quite a bit.  Stopped to see Michael once, but he wouldn’t answer the door.  Probably thought I was a Jehovah’s Witness.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.