Whatever happened to….
Posted: 06 December 2013 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

It’s sad when government employees in high level positions leave their posts with a glaring lack of information.  Yesterday’s announcement that the Kansas Director of Tourism is no longer on the job included no explanation.  27 years with the Manhattan Area Chamber of Commerce.  8 years with the Kansas Department of Commerce.  This professional dedicated an entire career to public service.

It is certainly understandable that there is a complete lack of explanation, if this is a personal issue.  Say that.  To leave such a move to we “conspiracy theorists” imagination does no justice to a long time public servant.  This person did collect, literally, hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax dollars as salary.  She directed millions of dollars in tax dollars to projects around the State.  The partnering of the City with her Department of Tourism drove the initiative for the STAR bonds that brought us the Discovery Center and the 3rd/4th Street Redevelopment.  Do the taxpayers who have supported these initiatives… and will continue “supporting” via increases in sales and property tax for years… not deserve to know if this was more than a personal issue?  Why is this not public record?

OTOH, this person accepted her present position during the term of former Governor Sebelius.  Did she make a comment supporting the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the position being vacated was a political “hatchet job”?  Was this simply an issue of Brownback cleaning house of anyone that might not be “Tea Party loyal”?  Again, if this was the case, it should be public knowledge.

The City of Manahttan recently had a department director here one day and gone the next.  The lame excuse that was issued by City Hall was just that.  If an elected official, or someone running for public office, passes gas… it’s flashed from coast to coast in the media.  With elected officials, internet rumors are taken as truth and go viral as fact.  Yet, when high level government officials from local to State to federal suddenly leave positions financially supported by our tax dollars, we are left to those same rumors.  Somethiing needs to change that will benefit the taxpayers with facts as to high level positions in government… and not leave 30+ year careers in public service tainted by gossip reminiscent of the neighborhood telephone party lines of days gone by.

Posted: 08 December 2013 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
You do realize that you are talking to yourself. don’t you? This forum has died and gone to Heaven…or somewhere. The Mercury has successfully killed it.

Posted: 08 December 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I know, Michael.  Sad, but Ned got his wish.  Way too much discussion that was not in concert with the Almighty Chamber, etc.  So… change the rules so everyone must post under their own name and that will stymie any local business people, employees of local businesses, etc. from posting.  The only avenue left is to write letters to the editor of a publication in a dieing industry, with a diminishing readership. 

The new communication areas are not controlled by a media that is, in turn, controlled by its advertisers.  Facebook and Twitter seem to be the current way to carry on the type of conversations that discussion boards were once used for.  That, however, seems to be for the younger audience… those who seem to not be as concerned with taxes and playgrounds for the elite and local elected officials who are puppets of a “shadow government”. 

I do not believe Ned understands the number of folks who were viewing the old forum each and every day.  To get to that, they had to go through his front page and see ads by those supporting him.  Evidently, that never registered with him.  There are a number of internet discussion boards I still frequent.  They are quite active.  Most all have ad banners that pay the forum owners quite nicely.  The Mercury is missing out on that revenue by not moving to a “modern” format, soliciting advertising for that format, and opening it up to any and all who want to participate.  Not only would it generate revenue for The Mercury, it could be a signficant service to the Community.  Instead, as you suggest, the board is dead… gone… finished.

Posted: 09 December 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I would hope that they rethink this, but, I am afraid, at this point, that it may be too late. Most of the readers have left because there is nothing new here. I have been reluctant to post because I get tired of talking to myself. I don’t see much of a point in that. I can do it here without typing. I have e-mailed my concerns to the Mercury, but they do not respond.
Anyway, maybe we can have coffee sometime and discuss the issues of the day. I am, in particular, concerned about the attempt to circumvent a popular vote and establish these sports venues on the west side. Playgrounds for the well-to-do….

Posted: 09 December 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Was in Hooterville this evening, Michael.  Had a small get together at Nelson’s Landing.  First time we’d been there.  Good food.  Thought that since the Packers finally won a game, we’d get the food free.  Wasn’t the case!!

The “playground for the elite” is a done deal.  Too much political money behind it.  The folks running that show live live in half-million dollar homes in Wyndam Heights, while others pushing the issue don’t even live in Manhattan.  This commission will do whatever the puppetmasters at 5th & Poyntz tell them to do.  You’re lucky, living up north.  In Manhattan, we’ll see our property taxes escalate a minimum of 25% in the next couple of years with all the things coming down the pike.  But, when you elect the wealthy and they represent ONLY the wealthy…..

I’d love to have a cup of coffee with you Michael.  I’ll treat!  Don’t know how to get contact info to each other.  May just have to set a time and place on the discussion board, meet, and hope Guido doesn’t pull up in a limo with his violin case.  Since we’re both early risers, may just need to meet somewhere 6 or 7 a.m.

Oh… Didn’t see one deer on the way from Manhattan to Hooterville.  You must have them all “road shy”.

Posted: 10 December 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
We will indeed have coffee, but after the great thaw. If you have Bob’s e-mail, he can give you my e-mail address. If not, we will just take our chances with Guido, who, I understand lives in Wyndam Heights, and is supportive of the new initiative to take over the Parks and REc…Look at the bright side…if all these rich people want to take over all the parks then we won’t need Parks and Rec anymore…just let the rich folks run the parks. The nice thing about rich folks is that they generally won’t steal from the concession stands.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.