The cruelest tax….
Posted: 21 October 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, we started threads about it on the old discussion board.  It’s such a black mark on Manhattan, we might as well start one here.  Residents of Manhattan and visitors to Manhattan suffer one of the cruelest taxes… something not found in most other communities of similar size.  What is it that the elderly need to travel back and forth to medical appointments or the grocery store.  What is it that those who won’t have money for kids coats need to get back and forth to minimum wage jobs?  What is it that reduces every employee’s wages that works in Manhattan?  It’s the silent rape of the citizens by the gasoline vendors in this town!!!!

Junction City… $3.41/gallon.  Salina… #3.34/gallon.  Topeka… $3.25/gallon.  Manhattan… the cheapest is $3.59/gallon!!!!!  People who purchase gasoline to go to the doctor or work or church or school pay 30 cents/gallon more than folks in Topeka or Salina.  A 20 gallon fill up costs someone fueling in Manhattan $6.00 more than someone fueling in one of our neighboring communities. 

Weren’t some of the same folks who now gouge Manhattan residents also involved in gouging on 9-11?? 

We are going to be asked to vote for a sales tax to assist in encouraging new businesses that Manhattan is a good place to locate.  Why would a business choose Manhattan over Topeka or Salina if they will immediately subject employees to a penalty on every gallon of fuel they purchase here. 

I’m one of the luckey ones.  I drive 30,000 miles/year and go through many of these other communities on a regular basis.  I don’t need to fuel up in Manhattan…. and, unless I have accumulated significant fuel points at Dillons, I don’t.  Give me one good reason why I should contribute to those who own the convenience stores in town and help pay for their big homes are country club memberships.  And… neither should you.

Too bad someone can’t organize a week where no one buys fuel in Manhattan.  Everyone drives to JC or Ogden or Wamego… anywhere but Manhattan.  Inflict pain in the billfolds of the “fuel rapists”... just as they cruely inflict pain on every driver in Manhattan.

Posted: 23 October 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-10-11

79 views, and no replies?  Come on people… jump in!

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Anyone can view… Only those who apply and wait and wait and wait and wait can post.  Ridiculous!

Or… Could be a conspiracy.  How many million were they asking for Coach Prince’s house at Colbert Hills?  Guess who bought it.  You need look no further than someone who might just happen to sell lots of gasoline in Manhattan.  Too bad they have to squeak by, competing with other communities in the regions… NOT!!  Keep those prices high.  Make it difficult on those living from paycheck to paycheck.  Enjoy your view, from the hill, of we ghetto dwellers below you. 

I dislike WalMart.  Too bad they didn’t build where Target is.  They wanted to, but the neighbors shut it down.  Had WalMart been on the west side… out of the impact area for the City’s well fields, they would have fuel pumps and we might not have the high dollars gasoline.

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Darren Emery - 23 October 2012 10:53 AM

79 views, and no replies?  Come on people… jump in!

Some threads have over 300 views.  I’m running out of thread starters.  Wish we could see some more participation.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.