< 1 2
2 of 2
Field Houre Project on Commission Agenda for 10 December
Posted: 17 December 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I perhaps misunderstood you. It might have been calling us freeloaders, rather than victims of Manhattan’s excesses.
I don’t mean to sound like an English teacher, but I will tell you this…people who grossly misspell words, are, in my world, and others, not taken seriously. You may be very smart but when you spell “article” as “artical” it causes me to wonder. Do you not have spell check? We all make spelling errors from time to time. That is why one proofs before posting. Otherwise, we become the Manhattan Mercury.

Posted: 17 December 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

For me the freeloaders are the ones that are calling for this to be done yet do not want to pay for it. I do not want either one, to pay for it or desire to have this built.
And yes when I have time I use spell check, even then I tend to look over simple errors, again and again. I am no rocket monster yet nor for that matter have any desire to claim to be one. Yet I take exception to the dismissal of the content of a statement simply from a misspelled word categorizing that person as inferior because of a spelling or grammar error. Ask me to clarify a statement I will be happy to, ask me to fix my spelling and grammar, well good luck with that one. I may see it I may not, just not my cup of tea.

Posted: 17 December 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Truce…hahaha
Spell check is automatic on my machine and would have flagged “artical” immediately…as it did just now. It is not a word.
I don’t dismiss your thoughts because of spelling errors, but I am cautioning that there are many who do.
I do find it amusing that the board of education is now promoting the teaching of cursive writing. Ludicrous. No one writes anymore…we are a keyboard society. I guess it goes along with the anti-evolution movement. Those who actually write letters are dying off rapidly.
Spelling, however should be as precise as possible, regardless of the medium. I deplore people who use “u” for “you”. That is a flaw in the new (nu) mode of communication. So, I hope u r well…hahaha

Posted: 09 January 2014 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

So… it seems the Fieldhouse Fanatics are now pushing the County Commission to get behind their project.  Bets are that, with the Chamber twisting arms and the County Commission on board, the resistance at the City Commission level will go away.  So far, three County Commissioners… all running as conservatives… have been far from fiscally responsible.  It appears they simply do not have the word “NO!” in their vocabulary.  So… my question is this…

Even if the Riley County Commission decides to toss tax money at the Fieldhouse Fiasco, the County cannot wrestle management of City parks away from the City Commission, can they?  What do the Fieldhouse Fiasco fanatics gain by County acceptance of their proposal?  The proposed soccer complex is not even to be located in Riley County.  Yet, the County Commission will toss money at this??  Amazing.  But, I guess if the County Commission tosses tax dollars at a visitors center not even located in Riley County, why wouldn’t they toss money at a soccer complex located in Pott County.  Morris County… Wabaunsee County… Marshall County… Anyone want money to toss into the wind?  Seems the Riley County Commission has plenty to give away!!!!!!!

Posted: 10 January 2014 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I hope that the Riley County Commission does not back the Field House proposal.  The 54 million dollar project is a total boondoggle in relation to local budgets.  The alternate proposal of a travel team project between JC, Manhattan and Fort Riley – as an Eco Devo effort, with zero tax support and privately led is the only sound corollary to the original proposal.  Local government should not spend any sales tax or property tax dollars on this project.  Any facilities upgrades should be part of long term CIP efforts. 
The Riley County Commission has been discussing and appears to be favoring the idea of a Public Building Commission.  It appears to me that this Commission if enacted would allow the three Commissioners to build anything they like, to include this field house concept.  I have come to the conclusion that the PBC is a not a good idea.

Posted: 10 January 2014 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2012-10-10

Wynn… ‘splain some more to me.  Caught a blurb that indicated the School Board was working with the County Commission on this PBC.  Something on the order that the School Board could have the County Commission build schools, etc. without taking it to a vote of the people.  There would then be some agreement for the School District to rent/lease the school buildings from the County.  It seemed as if both bodies… County Commission and School Board… think they’ve found a loophole where three egocentric politicians can shove project after project down the throats of those paying property tax.  What’s going on?????

Posted: 10 January 2014 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

I started a new topic on the PBC.  I think that the discussion on the Bylaws indicates that the PBC shall not have authority to approve financing for any public building project of a USD, university or College.  It does not exclude the City.  The Free Press takes issue with this seeing maybe a conspiracy to fund the Field House concept.  I do not thing that is the intent.  Maybe the new topic will generate some discussion.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.