‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5
Dead forum
Posted: 06 October 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Oh, Stacia,
Given your list, you might enjoy a movie called “Suddenly”... Frank Sinatra. Sort of the same idea as Cape Fear, but different.

Posted: 07 October 2013 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

I haven’t seen Suddenly in ages but I recall enjoying it. Sinatra was a fine actor, one of the few singers who could effectively transition to acting.

Randall, I love The Cooler, absolutely adore it, and if I’d remembered it definitely would have been on my list. Baldwin (like Sinatra, now that I think about it) is a really troubled human being but a great actor. Maria Bello is one of my favorites, too.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a really great film (that wasn’t a re-watch for me). There Will Be Blood and The Master were probably the last movies that truly bowled me over.

Posted: 07 October 2013 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I know that feeling about re-watches. This summer I went to a college sale where they were graduating and selling their DVDs for $1 each and got a bunch of new ones…well…new to me, including the Dark Knights Rises, the new Kong movie which, nostalgia aside, I think is the best Kong movie, the Rise of the Planet of the Apes which wasn’t bad, and a few other decent ones that I could not recite the lines to along with the actors. One I haven’t watched that was in the pile is Slumdog Millionaire…It has great reviews but I somehow can’t get all worked up about the plotline.

Posted: 07 October 2013 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  714
Joined  2013-07-13

Stacia, that’s my problem.  Too damned many great movies.  I’ve always judged movies by how many great moments they have… that move, or strum or tickle… minus any moments that clang or honk, or don’t measure up.  There are just too many that are so well acted and edited that they flow like music, and take me completely for a ride.  I agree about Maria. I’ve never seen her do anything that she didn’t handle with perfect pitch, and captivating character.

Michael, sit down and start Slumdog.  Give it about 10 minutes.  You won’t be disappointed. 

Anyway, what the hell else you got to do?

Posted: 07 October 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I think you’ll be surprised by Slumdog.

I am ashamed to admit it, but I haven’t seen any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films yet. They’re pretty high on my to-watch list, though.

Posted: 07 October 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

OK, tomorrow I will make eggplant and try Slumdog. By the way, if you slice and bread eggplant, then bake it and turn it over, bake until crisp, and then add a slice of tomato, cheese and mostly cooked bacon, you will end up with a nice meal. I got this recipe from the grandmother of one of my graduate students.
I watched Rope again today.  I don’t think Jimmy was that bad but Milland, or Grant, or Powell, might have been better suited for the role. It seemed to require an intellectual snob which Jimmy does not pull off well.  I was reading an article that said Dall looked like Ben Affleck…it is true…about the same quality of acting as well.
By the way, Stacia, the last two Batman movies are pretty good, as was Batman Begins. I have all of the Batman movies, but these three are the best. Also try the Jack Black version of King Kong….very entertaining.

Posted: 08 October 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Watched Shenandoah last night…again. It shows you where the screenplay for The Patriot came from…just a different war, and somewhat historically accurate, whereas The Patriot is anything but. Gibson is not known for his historical talents. I have a friend who is a History professor and when he goes to yard sales, he buys copies of The Patriot and Braveheart so that he can destroy them. Gibson has a penchant for either distorting or simply not reading History.

Posted: 08 October 2013 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

The Patriot and Braveheart are ridiculous. There’s a great segment in Braveheart during the charge where you can see the weapons wobbling in slo-mo because they’re made of cheap rubber.

Posted: 09 October 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia, I have noticed the rubber weapons. Another problem was the kilt thing. From my reading, they didn’t start wearing kilts until several hundred years later. The Patriot is entertaining enough but the main character is a composite of several people, which offends my historian friends, and the fact that the atrocities committed by the British, just didn’t happen. I like Gibson when he plays a sort of bumbler like in Conspiracy Theory, but he should stick to those kinds of roles, that is, if anyone will hire him these days…talk about the pitfalls of demon rum, he screwed up big time.
I have been digging in my collection trying to find movies I haven’t seen.  I picked two last night and they were both awful.  The first was Class Action with Gene Hackman and “Larry” Fishburne. Awful. Whoever wrote the screenplay should have been fired. Trite lines and a plot that defies reason. The other one I had hopes for because it was a Frank Capra movie…Here comes the Groom…with Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman. Terrible. Bing tries to, as usual, croon his way through a thin plot line.  He could sing better than Sinatra, but he couldn’t act worth a damn. I think I will go back to some old standard today that I know is good, or, maybe it is time for Slumdog.

Posted: 09 October 2013 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-08-19

If you like quirky obscure, “This must be the place” I hate to name the actor because I think it somewhat spoils the show, but http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440345/ I rather liked it. Another one we just watched, as I like a little nostalgia 70’s style “The Frozen Ground” very nicely done and a second outing for the lead pair in this one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2005374/?ref_=sr_1

Posted: 10 October 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Thomas,
Haven’t seen either one of those.  Probably never will see the first one…a little too quirky for me. The second one maybe even though I am not a big fan of either of the principal players. I prefer Cage in comedy or semi-comedy like National Treasure.  As for Cusak, I prefer his sister who got most of the acting talent. Cusak doesn’t ruin a movie, he just doesn’t add much…sort of a modern day Treat Williams.

Posted: 10 October 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  714
Joined  2013-07-13

Once again, Michael, I’m betting you haven’t seen some of the better John Cusack movies.  Gross Pointe Blank, The Ice Harvest, The Grifters.

Posted: 10 October 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I have seen them Randall.  I also saw 2012…and I keep the same opinion.  As I said, he doesn’t ruin a movie for me, he just doesn’t add much. However, I think his sister is a beautiful woman who has a lot of talent….My Blue Heaven, Broadcast News and a great performance in Arlington Road.

Posted: 10 October 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-08-19

“Why is Lady Gaga” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ryRwKkKI4

Posted: 10 October 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks Thomas, I added both to my queue.

Cusack used to be quite good but I haven’t enjoyed him in much of anything lately. That said, even though The Paperboy was rotten (first half terrific satire, second half inexplicable), Cusack seemed to be the only one there who really GOT it.

‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.