1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5
Dead forum
Posted: 30 September 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I will not be posting a lot here anymore. If I want to talk to Larry and Stacia, I can probably do that over coffee.  There are only three or four of us who post on this forum.  The Mercury has won…they have killed this forum.  I am not sure why they chose to do that, but they did. The killer was the real name business.  The Mercury says that isn’t true, but that is a lie. That restriction killed this forum.  Actually it is not a forum, it is a cemetery.

Posted: 30 September 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

I feel the worst for the sports forum. It should be hopping over there, but there is absolutely nothing going on.

Posted: 30 September 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

Hey!  Speaking of cemetery, trivia questions:

Do you know from whence the term “dead ringer”?

Or “graveyard shift”?

How about some others:

“Raining cats and dogs”?

“threshold”?

How about “nose to the grindstone”?

No research please.

Posted: 30 September 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, hello Randall,
I guess you want to play twenty questions…Here we go
Dead Ringer refers to a string that was attached to coffins before the days of embalming so the “dead” could ring a bell if they weren’t really dead.
Not sure about graveyard shift other than the current meaning which is working nights.
Raining cats and dogs is a reference to Jonathan Swift who noted that during heavy rains, dead cats and dogs…and rats would wash down the streets of London.
Threshold, of course, refers to straw that the more affluent folks…like yourself…put on their floors.
Nose to the grindstone…well, that is a tough one…might refer to those who sniffed the stones regarding the quality of the cereal…that is just speculation on my part…from vague memories.
Shall we do movie trivia now?.Go ahead…ask me some questions.

Posted: 30 September 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
How right you are. I even tried to insult Snyder and the cats.  The response….Zilch, Nada
If the Mercury doesn’t want this forum, they should just say so and shut it down. Right now it is like a patient who is hanging on with life support, barely breathing.

Posted: 30 September 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Michael,
graveyard shift was the night shift of people who were assigned to the cemetery to LISTEN for said “dead ringers”.  Also, the practice had less to do with embalming, and more to do with the lead with which they soldered their tin dining/drinking wares.  They found far too many “dead” people who had recovered enough from a lead-poisoning coma to have then died a lingering death buried deep beneath.
Raining cats and dogs were from the animals sleeping in the thatch roofs of houses, who wouldn’t bail out in a modest rain, but would in a torrent..

Nose to the grindstone.  Grindstones (used as ballast on ships from Europe) came only from Italy.  A special, hard limestone, 3 ft in diameter, about 6 inches thick, they were grooved in such a way that, if positioned slightly apart, grain dropping through a hole in the top would be pulverized, and the flour walked by centrifugal force out of the stones. The stones, spinning a fraction of an inch apart, could not touch.  If they touched, the flour would be burnt,  or worse, ignited, and the batch would be ruined by the tainted flour… or the mill would go up in an explosion that would rival the best action movies today. 

So, the first job, the child-labor job, the apprentice 3rd-class job in a mill was for little boys… they had to sit all day inches from the rumbling stone, in a cloud of flour, sniffing for that HINT of burn.  If their attention wandered, as you might imagine for little boys, they were cuffed or kicked and told to ... ”  “

Posted: 30 September 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Movie trivia:  What was the name of the Governor, played by Mel Brooks, in Blazing Saddles.. and how did he come up with that name in writing the script?

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Le Petomane…or something like that. He probably came up with it because he had gas.
Name of the book Paper Moon is based upon?

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Again, you have good instincts.  Brooks grew up watching the vaudeville acts, and one of them, William J. LePetomaine (sp) was a vaudeville performer who could sing and or/trumpet music with his farts.

Your turn…

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Oh, I see, you’re asking me the name of the book that was the basis for Paper Moon.

Haven’t a clue. BUT, I do have a Paper Moon story.  After the movie, starring the O’Neil’s (and shot around my hometown area), CBS did a TV series and shot IT in the same area.  I actually worked on it, so I can ask you, what Oscar-winning actress played the daughter in that TV series?

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

That would be the charming Ms. Foster? It wasn’t very good….74 or 75?
The name of the book was Addie Pray. OK, who played the original Babe in pajama Game on Broadway? That should be an easy one for you.
I hope we aren’t boring the rest of you…..all three of you.

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Oh, let me make it more complicated…Who played Babe in the movie? Which actors repeated their roles from Broadway to the movie? Who replaced Carol Haney in the movie, and, in what role?

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

You said movies.  I’m even worse with Broadway.

My turn:

Who was the bad guy observed by Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart in “Rear Window”?

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Pajama Game, Doris Day?  I would think the maid/housekeeper transferred from Broadway.

Am I way off?

Posted: 01 October 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Not too far off. Doris did play the role of Babe in the movie.  Janis Paige in the Broadway production. John Raitt continued his role in the movie as did Reta Shaw and Eddie Foy Jr. Carol Haney was replaced with Gwen Verdon in the role of Gladys, the secretary….Hernando’s Hideaway…
You are right, I shifted to Broadway…my bad…and, it was Perry Mason who played the villain in Rear Window…I think…haven’t seen it for a while, but that is what I remember. Correct me if I am wrong.
Here’s a good one….In how many movies did Doris Day sing Que sera sera, and name them. Good luck.

Posted: 01 October 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-13

Perry Mason.. Raymond Burr.

Que Sera.. in the Hitchcock movie (Man Who Knew Too Much”?), and the castaway movie where she’d been stranded on an Island with a stud ... what was the name of that one?  She sang to her children.  James Garner was the husband, Chuck Connors the stud .  A remake of the Cary Grant, Randolph Scott, whatzername film… Only two I can think of…

Got one.. Real name of the cop/friend from It’s a Wonderful Life. Also played the priest in The Quiet Man, and was train master on TV’s Wagon Train.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.