< 1 2
2 of 2
Thank you, Carmike Cinema!
Posted: 27 September 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Pure nuttiness. If she posted that on a military forum, then she is very stupid. I still think the entire affair was contrived, either by the girl or Carmike or perhaps a Mercury reporter. This reeks of some sort of game, and I am inclined not to believe a word of it…from any party involved. I will go back to one of my original statements…someone wants their 15 minutes of fame…I’m just not sure who. I think Brad might be able to clear some of this up, but, he, apparently is not reading at this point. Girl posts rant, gets fired with a bunch of cops, gets death threats, finds another job immediately, gets threatened at that job….Come on…Not even Oliver Stone could make up something like this.

Posted: 27 September 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
Thanks for that.
Wow…that bland little posting has resulted in firing, death threats? It seems to me that all she was saying is that the military is no more important than other segments of our society.  This brouhaha is all about this milquetoast posting? Good Lord…what would they…whoever they are…would have done to me when I put on a bumper sticker in the 1960’s saying “Where are you now, Lee Harvey Oswald, when we really need you?”
This is pure nonsense. Moreover, there is something amiss with the story. I don’t think we are getting the complete story. This particular reporter has not always been exactly accurate. Her reporting has been biased, one way or another…in this case she champions the plight of the poor young woman who was abused by the evil Carmike. I don’t know if that is true or not, but the entire story smells of three day old fish.

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2012-10-10

I think it’s just another internet dogpile. As you can see, the only actual quote we have from Meagan is the one I posted the picture of, and it IS a milquetoast posting, I completely agree. Yet people are losing their damn minds over it, becoming threatening and worse, trying to ruin her life based on that one thing. The Salina newspaper comments are completely out of control, and I’ve seen people on Facebook, Twitter, Cragislist, Tumblr, 1800Notes and about a half dozen newspaper sites call her the most heinous names and say they want to hit (or sometimes shoot) her.

As of what I’m seeing right now, either there is a LOT we aren’t being told, or mob mentality kicked in and everyone went nuts.

Posted: 01 October 2013 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-08-19

I wanted to reply when the story was first broken. I received notice on several different veteran websites, I was pretty appalled at the reactions. Was she wrong, well she may have gone about it the wrong way but her opinion is the very reason we all served. To publicly attack her with the vile threats against her and personal attacks about her appearance etc, did more to harm the reputation of our military than anything else. They simply perpetuated the stereotype that she already holds, now they’ve all but removed doubt as to what it was she probably witnessed over and over at Carmike. I was a young GI once I know how dumb and aggressive we were, yes we are NOT PERFECT! I personally feel Carmike did a disservice firing her, she didn’t post this at work nor included any reference to her clients etc. Carmike benefited by giving the tag to Facebook showing all her relatives and friends her affiliation with the cinema, benefiting them, now they all the police and treat her like a criminal. Technology isn’t it great? That same medium they chose to benefit from “sharing” her employment with everyone can now suffer the consequences as well as benefits they already received. All those armchair warriors threatening and disparaging the young lady should reconsider what their service really means, it’s to protect the rights of all citizens, not just the ones you agree with. Disagree with her, fine that’s your opinion and you’re entitled, inflaming and encouraging violence, over the line.

Posted: 02 October 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Extremely well put, Thomas!

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks for dropping in, Thomas! There’s not many of us around here so we get very excited when a new poster shows up.

Terrific post, by the way. That’s interesting that it showed up on multiple Veteran’s websites. It must have been posted to a site that has a lot of readers, and then got crossposted all over the place.

Posted: 04 October 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-08-19

Thanks! I’d tried several times to post but with all the mess with the “real” vs anonymity, finally figured my name is already public and not all of it good in some eyes, so what me worry. :) I’m more than a little discouraged of late with all the back and forth, it’s fashionable on the right to be pro-military until they become expendable, which is right about they time they decide to invade another brown country. It’s disheartening to be on FB and read all the vitriol, amazes me still so many vote against their own best interests. The elites have always and will always provide the meat for the machine, we are the meat people, until you realize that, all that bravado counts for squat. They sell you the grand illusion, brotherhood, esprit de corp, patriotism, it’s all designed to get your mind in the game, of which you are not in control but are the sacrificial pawn. Step out of the game, join life, get real get hope and enlightenment.

Posted: 05 October 2013 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Thomas, there is one way to stop our chldren from becoming “expendable, right about the time they decide to invade another brown country.”  Reinstate the draft.  EVERY child, when he/she turns 18 must spend 2 years in the military.  No college deferments.  You turn 18, you spend two years between high school and college in the military.  Then, you go to college.  No deferments for athletes.  No deferments!!  If our monied and our elected officials were sending their sons, daughters, grandsons, grandaughters, neices, nephews, etc. into those “brown countries” to be shot at we would quickly become less anxious to impose our brand of freedom on others.

Posted: 05 October 2013 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
You know the draft has never worked that way.  It is an imperfect system.  There will always be deferments for one thing or another.
Plus, no politician in his or her right mind would dare propose the draft. Right now the campuses are peaceful.  Don’t want to get them riled up. The draft did make for more diligent college students, me included.

Posted: 05 October 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

The draft in this sociopolitical climate would be devastating.

< 1 2
2 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.