1 2 > 
1 of 2
Thank you, Carmike Cinema!
Posted: 26 September 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

http://1350kman.com/cinema-employee-fired-after-anti-military-facebook-post/

Certainly, one has rights protected under the First Amendment to the Constitution.  However, in the workplace, speaking your mind can have consequences.  In the case of Carmike, I applaud their dealing with this matter by sending the young lady down the road.  Those who she so vehemently assaults with her Facebook posting, give life and limb to protect her freedoms and liberties.  She has every right to stand on the street corner and spew her venom and the government cannot inhibit that right.  She would not have that right if it were not for our brave military.  She has every right to post her opinions on her Facebook page and the government cannot inhibit that right.  She would not have that right without our military standing ready to defend her ability to do so.  Private employers, however, can mete consequences for an employee’s actions.  Carmike did. 

Ma’am… I know you didn’t ask for my opinion.  However, your lack of appreciation of the sacrifices made by our military and their families riles me.  I do apologize for the alleged “death threats” you say you have received.  No law abiding citizen of the U.S. should fear for their lives.  No matter if it’s someone demeaning our soldiers or someone just as idiotic and repulsive sitting behind a computer and typing death threats… “You can’t fix stupid!”

Posted: 26 September 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

I don’t thank businesses that fire people for what they say on their own free time, which appears to be the case here, based on the news articles online as of right now.

We are human beings with our own lives and our own opinions, and none of us should be beholden to corporate interests 24/7. We’re under the thumb of big business enough as it is, now some opinion that wasn’t breaking any laws or directly speaking about the business means a woman with a child will lose her income? This whole family should suffer because you disagree with her?

And I hate to break it to you, but if we live in a country where someone will get fired for speaking their own mind on their own time, then no, we DON’T have those freedoms and liberties you’re cheering about. There’s not much to cheer when we have to be afraid of every little thing we say in public on our free time, lest we lose our job, get death threats, and have people publicly calling us stupid on a newspaper forum and implying that those death threats were justified. Oh, and they aren’t “alleged,” Larry. About 15 seconds on Google and I found threats against her on Facebook and Craigslist. You’re too dim to go check Google and you call her stupid? Ha.

[ Edited: 26 September 2013 08:18 PM by Stacia Jones ]

Posted: 26 September 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

It just occurred to me that you were one of the yahoos who said that people who didn’t want to post on these new Merc forums because they couldn’t use their real names without fear of public retaliation were lying. And here you are, engaging in public retaliation against someone who spoke their opinion under their real name, happy she lost her job for it.

Still think they’re liars, Larry?

I also seem to recall that when a KSU employee, local mini-celeb and Birther briefly decided to use his social cache to influence national politics, you said his job should be completely safe because they were just his opinions. But spouting off on a Facebook post with what could have been a joke, trolling or just venting? Oh no, you lose your job over that!

You are a real piece of work, Larry.

Posted: 27 September 2013 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia… thanks for your input.  I do see where you are coming from… yet respectfully disagree.  The argument re consequences in the private sector as a result of “personal expression” has been seen in the court system for decades.  You and I will be polar opposites as to how we feel on the idea.  That’s what makes the human race so wonderful… we aren’t simply clones of each other.

Re your second post… I WAS one of those hesitant to post under my real name.  I DID fear retaliation for expressing my opinions on this public forum.  If you and I ever have a cup of coffee, I’ll explain to you my hesitation in transitioning from “Mr. Clean” to using a given name.  Also, I do not recall the incident with a KSU employee.  Please understand, the number of subjects covered on this forum over the past years and the ‘interesting characteristics’ of an almost 70 year old mind… I will not jump up and down and say that specific topic did not see my comments.  Again, I simply do not remember the incident or the reference to it on this forum.

As to the young lady’s post and the subject of our military, I do get emotional.  I remember the Viet Nam vets coming home and being spit on and denegrated.  Now, after watching the American public become openly patriotic… witnessing auto after auto adorned with magnetic “Support Our Troops” ribbons from Desert Storm to the early Iraqi and Afghan conflicts… it seems as if we’re forgetting the sacrifices made.  Our son is an Iraqi war vet and is career Army.  This issue is close to home for me.  After spending the past three years at the Pentagon, he and his family are PCSing next month to Ft. Campbell where he will join the 5th Special Forces Group.  He is giddy with anticipation of once again being able to “jump out of perfectly good airplanes”.  Yes, it’s a way of life he chose.  Not once have I heard him suggest he is deserving of any accolades for that choice.  He looks at it as a job he is extremley good at and enjoys.  The current conflicts have gone on entirely too long.  Yet, it is difficult for my feeble mind to understand a thought process where someone would express such hate against our soldiers as did this young cinema employee.

Posted: 27 September 2013 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Horse feathers. I won’t really comment on the young lady’s remarks because I haven’t read them, but, from what I did read, it would seem that Carmike’s handling of her firing seemed overly dramatic. The manager and “some” police officers met her at the door??? Why would you get the police involved? Sounds a bit like a publicity stunt to me. As I read the article, she can’t even go to a movie there anymore. Certainly, voicing anti-military opinions is not politically correct in this super-patriot mode we are in, but there is nothing new about it, or even unique.
Maybe Carmike wasn’t getting enough military business?

Posted: 27 September 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

It’s possible I have you confused with someone else. With the old forum gone, I can’t go back and look up the posts I’m thinking of, though I do see this post from Bob about not believing that anyone would get fired for their opinion, and I had thought you agreed with him at some point, back on the old forums.

If you hadn’t, I apologize.

My bigger point still stands: That firing people for some small online personal opinion said on their own time, their own dime, without any encouragement to illegal activity nor involving their place of work, is morally and ethically wrong. It makes us under the thumb of corporations every moment of our lives.  It’s not what anyone fought for. Servicepeople didn’t go into combat to protect ONLY the rights of those who say things corporations like to hear.

Our personal opinions of what she said have no bearing on the matter. I disagree with her myself, though I also see her talking about peace, and don’t see the virulent hate you claim is there.

Posted: 27 September 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I haven’t heard about the police thing, do you have a link?

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
It was in the Mercury article…“May said that when she went to work at Carmike Seth Child Cinema the next day, she was met in the lobby by her manager and some police officers. The manager demanded she go into the office, but May refused, claiming to fear for her personal safety. The manager fired May on the spot and banned her from the premises.”
I don’t know if any of that is true but it was what the reporter wrote. It sounds to me like a whole lot of flaky overreaction on the part of all involved…if it is true. Why the manager would involve the police is beyond me.  Perhaps Brad could add some facts here if he is reading.
Larry,
I am not anti-military but there is a point to be made here.  As you correctly point out, it is a career choice…a job. A job like any other…teachers help people, doctors save lives, others build infrastructure and so on. All are equally as important as the military.
I might also point out that, in my 13 years experience with the military, it has been my observation that most military personnel did not join to protect liberty and rights for all.  For many…not all…it was a last resort. Many are college dropouts because of substance abuse or simply lack of direction and the military embraces them and puts a roof over their heads.  The protecting liberty thing is instilled in them by the military. From your comments, I induce that your son is an officer, and as such is probably well-compensated. Lawyers are maligned, as are many other professions. One would think that military folk would be able to take a little criticism. As Dr. Johnson noted…“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  729
Joined  2013-07-13

Here in Brownbackistan, ANARCHY is the new patriotism.

Posted: 27 September 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks for quoting that, Michael, now I know why I couldn’t find it.

The police being involved is really worrisome. Is there something we aren’t being told here? Or were the police being used as Carmike’s personal security force? If the latter, that doesn’t seem an appropriate use of the RCPD, they’ve certainly got better things to do than that.

Posted: 27 September 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

It is difficult for me to believe that RCPD would be on site for an employer to simply fire an employee.  As you say, Stacia, there has to be more to the story.

Posted: 27 September 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I suspect that there is a lot more to this story.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense. Some girl posts an “anti-military”...or was it simply a question as to why they deserve preferential treatment? She doesn’t mention that she works for Carmike. Carmike freaks anyway and calls the cops….“some”...how many is “some”?...two, three, four?...just to fire a low-level employee. She is afraid to go to the office for fear of her personal safety. Does she think the manager is some sort of a slasher? She is banned for life at the movie house.
I am sorry, but this story borders on the nutty. I would try to read her comments on facebook, but alas, I have sent facebook to spam. I tried to just get rid of it, but that was not possible so I send all facebook to spam.
Would someone please print her remarks. I would be interested to know how they inspired the alleged “death threats”.
Now, I suppose it is possible that the girl is truly crazy and that is why the manager called a contingent of police, but, I have my doubts about that.  If she were some sort of a threat, she would have been arrested, not just fired.
I am sort of wondering if this might not be one of those 15 minutes of fame things…for whom….I am unsure.

Posted: 27 September 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-07-25

You have to wonder how much of the Mercury’s report on the situation is accurate given that the woman’s first name is misspelled in the story.  Her name is “Meagan,” not “Megan.”

Posted: 27 September 2013 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I know.  I was scared there for a while that it was the food girl for the Mercury moonlighting as a popcorn salesperson at the Carmichael Movie Emporium.
Whew!

Posted: 27 September 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I’ve been really confused by this whole mess so I went digging around, not that I have any answers.

I can’t read much of what went down on Facebook since I never had an account there. A lot of the FB posts are the ones where you have to log into FB first. But from what I saw on a couple of people’s open FB pages, there was a forum on FB specifically for military families, and Meagan either posted her rant to that forum or someone copied and pasted it over there, and a flame war erupted. At that point, people went nuts, and I found posts on at least four different websites calling for her to be attacked or worse, including posting her phone number, address and new place of employment. (Most of those posts were from before this made the news, dating to about last Tuesday.) Strangely, I didn’t see her reply to any of this at all, which is really odd. I have to assume things have been deleted.

This is just speculation, but it sounds to me like the flame war on FB spilled into real life, someone called the Seth Child Cinema manager, and he read/saw something that made him think he needed the police.

Posted: 27 September 2013 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, here’s a photo of it along with Carmike’s Facebook response.

As for the death threats, I reported two of them from Craigslist myself, saw one from 1-800Notes get deleted, and there are still some over on the Salina newspaper thread. There’s this from Craigslist, which uses the same picture people were posting with “memes” about killing Meagan (though this “meme” doesn’t make a lick of sense, I’m just showing it so you can see the photo.) Here’s a thread that posts her personal info along with multiple threats of harming her. (NOTE the phone number posted is someone else’s, not hers, though the dimwit who posted it thought it was hers.)

There’s more personal info out there, including a whole FB group. I couldn’t find anything about her arrest for “telephone harassment” they refer to, for what it’s worth, but it seems like that would have something to do with the overreaction to this incident.

Still can’t find anything Meagan herself said beyond that one screen cap I just posted the picture of. Surely she must have posted more for people to get upset, but every time I find someone saying “Meagan posted X” it turns out X was posted by someone else. A lot of people acted like idiots in this incident.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.