I am surprised there are not more fatalities on K-18
Posted: 17 September 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I took a friend to the airport this morning at 6 AM.  It was dark and raining and very scary. The traffic was bumper to bumper.  The lanes are poorly marked and the little cones barely separate the traffic.  No wonder people run into each other.  It was a nightmare.
Is this going to be finished anytime soon? It has been…what?...two years? I will not be on that road again. I feared for my life.
Just how incompetent is KDOT?
I pity the poor people who have to drive that every morning.

Posted: 24 September 2013 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Since the work began, I think there have only been the two fatalities.  It has been a mess.  However, the mess is necessary in order to enjoy the ‘super highway’ we will be presented with once the construction is done.  It would not surprise me to see just as many, if not more, fatalities AFTER the new highway is open than during the construction period… over the same amount of time.  Before the construction began, the stretch from Miller Parkway to Ogden was driven like a NASCAR track.  Someone said RCPD called it the 80/80 highway.  80% of the tickets written were in excess of 80 mph.  Give this same group of drivers a brand new open highway, and we’ll will see high speed mixed with cell phone talk.  Mix in a little inclement weather or a little alcohol and it spells disaster.  Hopefully, RCPD will speed trap that stretch of highway on a daily basis for the first year it is open.

Posted: 24 September 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I would hope so. That highway was a mess before this construction.  I will not be on it again soon.  If I have friends fly in, they will take a taxi to a neutral site and I will pick them up there. Other than the occasional airport visit, I have absolutely no reason to be on that road, nor the one to Wamego which is almost as crazy.
24 should be made four-lane from Manhattan to 77, but, I can’t even imagine the horror it would be in the construction phase. I would be stuck with Clay Center as the sole source of supplies…not that it is a bad town, but, what if I want eggplant…or Bok Choy? On a related subject, grocery stores have stopped selling bean sprouts.  How am I to make certain dishes? I guess foo yung is a thing of the past. I haven’t checked Mr. Li.  Maybe he still carries them.  Anyone know?

Posted: 25 September 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Thought about this thread Sunday night about 7:45 when waiting to turn left onto Rosencutter off K-18. About 10 of us sat there for 10-15 minutes while the light failed to turn green, all of us surely thinking the light was broken. Soon I realized the car up front didn’t seem to notice or care that we were all stuck. Hadn’t inched forward or anything. As my husband pulled out of the line to go the long way around instead of waiting for the light, I looked into the car at the front of the line. It was some late teen or early 20-something texting away, completely clueless as to what was going on around them. And here’s the punch line: The signal never changed because she wasn’t pulled up far enough to trigger the sensor and clearly had no idea how long she had been sitting there.

We took the Seth Child exit and turned left (to get to Stagg Hill, then finally to Rosencutter) and there she was again, lost and almost turning into oncoming traffic on the eastbound off ramp, trying to get back onto K-18—apparently she didn’t even need to turn off of K-18 in the first place, but was so distracted and disoriented from texting while driving she had no idea what was going on.

Anyway, that’s who you’re driving on K-18 with, folks. Godspeed.

Posted: 28 September 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

They’ve opened up quite a bit more of the new 4-lane on K18.  Someone said this morning the entire project was to be done in November.

Posted: 29 September 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I should hope so. This has been a long time. I’ll believe it when I see it. Of course, I won’t see it because I won’t go on that road.  It has always been dangerous, and I doubt that the “improvement” will improve anything except the speed.  Military folks…don’t mean to offend here…drive like striped-assed apes on their way to a banana festival. It is bad here but even worse in the Virginia Beach area. I had to drive from Portsmouth to Norfolk daily.  That was a real nightmare when you added in a few tunnels. It is sort of a military thing to buy fast cars…Mustangs seem to be the preferred mode of travel. They zip in and out of lanes and flip off anyone who is driving the speed limit.  I learned out there to wait until ten AM or so to get on the road….Six AM could get you killed. Four PM could get you killed.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.