And more tax dollars ‘flying’ off into the wind….
Posted: 10 September 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Architect’s estimate of $7.2 million.  City Commission will authorize a contract for $9.1 million for the airport expansion…. almost $2 million over the estimate.  Feds are handing us $7.8 million which would have covered the project if it had come in at the estimated $7.1 million.  Now, the City will cough up the $2 million overage.

Topeka announces, yesterday, they will begin 4 flights/day to Chicago.  Has anyone looked at how many folks currently fly out of Manhattan who will now go to Topeka?  But, our airport has to look good! 

We want to cut out social services.  Wreck out a veteran’s memorial to save money.  Hire high-paid “Deputies” and “Assistants” to those sitting in the big offices while cutting customer service personnel.  Hand millions to the Chamber to jet around the Country in hopes they can convince another grocery store to locate here.  And, now, toss a couple mil at the airport.  Sheesh!!!!!!

Posted: 11 September 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry:  To put it into context, where did the couple of million come from?  The Eco Devo Fund, not property tax.  Why do we need another City Manager?  At first I thought no, the position was not need, but I was wrong.  Ron needs another guy just to keep track of all of the special interest group requirements (we needed a staff historian to just research all of the miss information on the auditorium).  The paper trail on various issues requires a full time person - agree sheesh.  I do want to limit the social service expenditure, support five agencies not nine (it is down from ten with UFM out of the mix,  and limit any increase to the COLA rate not 7 to 22% like took place this year) – so that comment is true.  But the Peace Memorial Auditoriums/building will not be wrecked, that comment is incorrect. We will however save money by eliminating the stage, which data indicates is not being used.

Posted: 11 September 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2013-07-13

Somebody call the waaaaaambulance. Wynn’s still stuck in his almost-moment of multimillion dollar glory.
It’s been a week now, Wynn. Time to stop pouting.  Tell you what. I’ll be in town next week. You line up access to every empty or under used city property like the old jail, the unused floor in the Discovery Center, etc. and maybe some empty downtown buildings and we can go look at them together. Bring a list of how many offices you need for P&R as well as some of the departments in city hall that might need to expand in the future.
I’ll solve your office problem and renovate the Auditorium for HALF of your prize baby’s budget. Veterans, historians, citizens will be happy and your paper pushers will have cool cushions on which to plop

Posted: 11 September 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Your first stop should be the DC, just to double check on that empty floor.  The Discovery Center Foundation will be happy to give you a tour.  http://www.flinthillsdiscoverycenterfoundation.org/?page_id=252

Posted: 11 September 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2013-07-13

Hey, if someone’s using the floor, shouldn’t they be paying rent?  Or is it a good ol boy?

Posted: 12 September 2013 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Interesting that all those listed as Board of Directors are employed elsewhere.  Quite a few, including the President of the Board, are associated with the University.  Yet, we give up a floor of the DC for them?  They can’t hold their “good ol’ boy” meetings elsewhere?  What did it cost the City to furnish the floor with offices for this Board of Directors?  Was that cost paid by CVB (bed tax) dollars?  Or, did we taxpayers kick in for office furniture?  I doubt these offices were furnished by a trip to WalMart…..

I just think it’s extremely interesting how “vacated space” suddenly in cannibalized.  The old fire station at Anderson and Wreath could well have been converted to P&R offices.  Immediately upon vacating by the MFD, that building was grabbed by another department.  An empty floor at the DC is suddenly “occupied” by a bunch of the monied of Manhattan under the guise of DC Foundation.  It is becoming easier to understand City Staff wanting to spend big bucks for new P&R offices.  Any vacant space is sorta like “Whack-a-Mole”.  Before one department that might really need the space has time to react, another department suddenly appears there.

Answer me this, Wynn… Riley County has a Parks Department.  Instead of spending millions on new digs for the Manhattan P&R, has anyone initiated a dialogue about consolidating City and County Parks & Rec?  The County has their new facility out on TCB.  They have a Director and the City has none.  With the search for a Director and for office space, wouldn’t this be an opportune time to consolidate?  Shawnee County and the City of Topeka recently consolidated their Parks Departments.  If a facility already exists on TCB, wouldn’t blending the two departments be a more fiscally responsible move than building new offices and basketball courts?

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.